Open source ECU :)

UTEC/Hydra/MOTEC? STi, WRX, EVO, Legacy, R32? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Open source ECU :)

Post by Sabre »

Go figure the name would be OpenECU!!!! Check it out though, seems to be very preliminary. Everyone know's that we're all about the hacking, but when it's on what gets me to work.... I don't know how I feel. The problem that I really see is if they are trying to use a off the shelf computer, how they are going to keep up with the timing required. If you move to some specialty boards, you can get the resolution that you need, but that's the same price as buying a UTEC then!

I'm still thinking of doing an interface for the Hydra for monitoring :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

I don't think a standard pc would have any problems. The biggest issue is the sampling rate, for analog signals you use a sound card which is capable of > 20khz (audio, plus nyquist for those of us that remember it). For digital signals you use a couple serial ports or the parallel port, couldn't imagine we're talking more than 4Mbps of throughput.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
AJ711
Bicycle

Re: Open source ECU :)

Post by AJ711 »

Sabre wrote:Go figure the name would be OpenECU!!!! Check it out though, seems to be very preliminary...
And once again, the MY98 is left out to dry. Dag-gone DOHC, MAF based ECU with small production numbers.

Thankfully, the Hydra presented itself as a perfect standalone ECU. I'm impressed by what it can do just with minimal add-ons, and I've read that the self tune feature brought a test car to within 5HP of a professional dyno session. All from just driving around town for a while. :D

Now, if I could only figure out how to use a standalone unit and still have OBD-II capabilities to pass the stupid testing and crap. Then I'll be rich... I mean, set.

AJ
Cage: '98 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, caged Uncaged: '05 Suzuki SV650S
'03 Forester XS, Team Grocery Getter
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

AJ711 wrote:
Sabre wrote:Go figure the name would be OpenECU!!!! Check it out though, seems to be very preliminary...
Now, if I could only figure out how to use a standalone unit and still have OBD-II capabilities to pass the stupid testing and crap. Then I'll be rich... I mean, set.
AJ
Hey AJ,
The Hydra is a great peice of magic :)

I know what you mean about ODB-II connections... we need to talk... and decifer the ODB-II communications proticol.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
AJ711
Bicycle

Post by AJ711 »

Sabre wrote: Hey AJ,
The Hydra is a great peice of magic :)

I know what you mean about ODB-II connections... we need to talk... and decifer the ODB-II communications proticol.
Yes it is. :D

And yes we do. I'm no code/computing genius, but I can solder and navigate via wire diagrams with the best of them. ;)

AJ
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

IANAL, but that may start getting strange. ODBII is a standard required by federal law, to provide "false" output could be a no-no. :)

But, that being said, it shouldn't be hard. :)
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
AJ711
Bicycle

Post by AJ711 »

All I want to do is be able to run a stand-alone ECU to properly tune my engine, but at the same time, have them plug in their stuipd OBD-II tool come inspection time and be happy. Is that too much to ask? :D

Oh yeah, and lean out my mixture at idle so I pass those emissions. Or better yet, have a separate map that is called "Fool the emissions people" that passes at idle and whatever other RPM they test at.

Now, to just get a smog reader. :twisted:

AJ
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

If you overcome your OBD II issues but still need to pass the sniffer test, I have had good results with running 3/4 - 1/4 volume mixture of regular unledded and methanol.

Of course water injection puts a lot of water vapor in the exhaust which takes some of the no_no gasses and puts them into suspension so the sniffer can't sniff them.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

And the sniffer test, for an AWD, is standing still with engine revs at like idle and 2.5K?
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
AJ711
Bicycle

Post by AJ711 »

What are they looking for on the OBD-II test as well? Error codes? That the ECU is actually hooked up and running (aka engine parameters)?

If it is just error codes, all you need to do is create some little module that will spit back "No Errors" or whatever to their reader, badda bing, done. Then, just mount your ECU where the stock one once was. If they peel the carpet back and ask if that is your engine control unit, you can't lie, "Yup, sure is." :twisted:

Remove the sticker, heck, even rip the stock ECU apart and put the exterior sheet metal over it to make it appear stock. The only people who would probably know the difference would be a dealership, and if you're dumb enough to go there for the test with all that stuff on there, well... :slaps forehead:

Otherwise, the rest is tuning and trial and error.

"What, I didn't pass? Okay."
<drive out, find parking lot, change parameters, drive back.>
"Try it now."
<test>
"I passed? Cool, where's my sticker?" :twisted:
<wierd look from techs>
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

I agree, it wouldn't be hard. :) The OBDII interface is a little strange, lots of pins, but it's a published standard.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox