hmm

Audi too loud or not loud enough?

Moderator: Moderators

Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

hmm

Post by Cereb Daithi »

so .. my RS will have an STi hood on it come June 4th.. and i got to thinking... why put such a nice thing to waste... my question is this.. does anoyne know of any way to take that nice little box where the hood scoop is.. open it up exposing the air filter.. create a nice cold-air intake.. and still manage to keep everything running safe and smooth? obviously the biggest problem is weather and moisture... has anoyne ever attempted/figured this out?

im not sure im willing ot put a turbo onto this simply becuse i dont think the car is worth it.. i plan on trading this in and getting an STi a few years down the road anyways... but if I can put that scoop to use... i'd feel even better about having it since it would be serving a purpose.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Home Depot to the rescue! Honestly, there is no reason you couldn't do it :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

well i opened that box up.. or at least tried to... couldnt get the lid off... its just a seam not a lid... the whole box just started moving.. what it looks like is... the air filter on the passenger side runs up through that big pipe into the box... that box is just an empty box with a pipe sticking into it that sucks air into the intake manifolds.... what the... any suggestions?
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Take pictures and post... I don't know what the inside of a RS looks like :oops:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

lol time to learn new stuff about subarus then...

2.4 RS engine bay

....not very impressive.. but it still looks better than most 4-bangers

and here is the thing i am refering to

i yanked the hose off the left and checked that thing out.. it looks to me like its just an empty shell with an opening in the bottom that sucks air into the intake manifolds... there are two smaller hoses attatched to the bottom sides.. haha im no gear head.. i know some about engines and such but this thing has me stumped..

more or less here is a sort of glimpse at the interior...

the red circle is around one of the hoses coming out...

the other red "drawing" is my best 30-second representation of the angle and size of the tube inside that "thing"

i assume sinice air DOES travel through there that it might be possible to use the air rammed down by the hood scoop to somehow feed into that.. i just have no idea how...
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

That box is a plenum box. Basically, it holds air that the engine car grab real quick, unlike air from the outside which has to go through the outside->filter->engine.

Hmmm, I really wonder if there is a way for you to cut the plenum box so that you could put a standard K&N air filter on there. Hard part would be making a good seal. lol, have access to a junk yard that you could source an extra box from?
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

im sure i could find one. One idea a mechanic buddy of mine had was.. on quads they make a sort of breathable mesh that doent allow water in but does allow air in....he said they use it on quads as an aftermarket addon that allows more intake... i wonder if this could be scaled up for a car..
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

so i took my car over to subaru. turns out i cant turn the plenum box into a CAI due to where the air meter is... apparently all the older model subarus had filters right under that scoop there.. however mine... does not... mechanic said if i really wanted to put that scoop to use..... i'd have to either get an older intake system from another subaru.. or develop an elaborate ducting system with a bunch of elbow joints and a CAI positioned right near the passenger side firewall....

not worth it.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Don't give up, what can be done with a little time and a dryer vent might be worth the results. Definitely come down for an install day and we'll see what we can do :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I REALLY hate to be the voice of reason but it's not worth it, unless you just want to build something.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Well, you got the STi hood...time...for...ENGINE/TRANNY SWAP!!!!!

:drive:
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

oh i wish...
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

ok oh car gurus... point me in the right direction... i want my car to be louder.

i have conditions.

a) i want to keep it relatively inexpensive... i dont have alot of cash to throw around

b) no huge ricer exhaust tips.. .. im not going to put a big kazoo on the back end of my car...

c) i want the boxer rumble... not the ricer buzz

d) it should improve performance.. i want more noise.. but i dont want it to be pointless.

If you could point me in the right direction it'd be appreciated
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

a new muffler, just the axle back section, will give you that nice boxer sound without costing much. look for used ones on the various boards, I got mine that way. now I don't listen to my stereo much in the summer. I just roll down the windows and listen to the Subaru soundtrack... 8)
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

any recommended brands or types? im not much of an automotive guy so i dont know a whole lot about what's good and what's not
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

go to a meet and listen to other 2.5RS exhausts. that's the best way to find out what sound YOU like. and buy used. :wink:
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

well one of my buddies has Borla headers with a Tanabe Racing Medallion catback on an 02 RS.. sounds incredible.. straight up rumble... he swears its from the headers though