Bye STi stock hello Borla Hush

Audi too loud or not loud enough?

Moderator: Moderators

Libra Monkee

Bye STi stock hello Borla Hush

Post by Libra Monkee »

Okay I just went through about 50 sound and video files of a bunch of different exhaust system and decided that I like the Borla Hush's sonorous rumble over all the rest. (It's the only one that gave a woody everytime I heard it. ;) )

That said, my intention now is to squander my hard earned pay away to get the MadDad Metal V2 downpipe w/ 3 inch Crush gasket flange and couple it with the Borla Hush w/ 3 flat flange adapter.

But I got a few questions I was hoping you could help me out with since I'm new to Subaru pwningness. :owned:

Um, would be better to stick with the donut gaskets or use the flange adapters? I'm assuming it's better to use the flanges since they cost more.

How hard is it to install a whole new exhaust system? I've done car repairs before but never anything that required a lift.

I guess the most import question is, will these two work together? It would suck to spend all this money and then not be able to use them.

Alright I think those were the main things that were bothering me and why I haven't had the courage to click the "Submit Order" button. Any help you guys can give would be much appreciated.

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

you don't need a lift to install an exhaust, just jackstands of a quality that you trust your personal well being to them. :wink:

not sure about the gasket questions but there are others who can/will answer that one. exhaust work isn't that hard (unless it's an up-pipe, then it's a PITA but still not "difficult" to do).
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Order it... NOW!

When you come to my place tonight for the BBQ, you can check it out. I'm running that exact setup. You'll have flat flanges, no more donut :) Install, since you don't have that many miles yet, is about 45minutes - 1 hour. Come over some weekend and we can knock it out real quick. Just one note: I'd order Kartboy exhaust hangers. The OEM ones are a PITA!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

The donut sucks...you will need to get the flat flange adapter.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Thanks a lot guys! I finally took a shot of Jack Daniels to build up the courage, closed my eyes, and submitted the order.
:handhead:

I'm still trying to put out the fire on my credit card.
:help:

But after I opened my eyes I realized I forgot to order the exhaust hangers per Julian's suggestion. So I sent an email to see if they can add it to the order. If not, I'll just have to order them separately.
:nutkick:

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

You inspired me. Just ordered this:

http://www.daddysscp.com/dcart4/product ... imageid=69

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Congrats to you both!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Okay I got another question. They went and back ordered the exhaust which is no biggie I'm not in too much of a rush. But they also told me this:
Excerpt from E-mail:
When going full 3"(no donut tapers) the two-piece doesn't really offer any advantages so if you want I'll put in a note so supply the one-piece if available at the time of shipping, and take the $30 off if we can do it. If we only have the two-piece we won't delay the order any further(unless you tell us to).
So should I go ahead and switch the one-piece design or stick with the two piece?

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Personally, I would go one piece. It's one less gasket that you have to worry about and it will be smoother flowing.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

And I say who cares what happens to (teh exhaust gasses) it after it leaves the motor... So long as it is not a restriction. Go with whatever one will arrive first.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

congrats, chuck. can't wait to hear that beyotch purr.
-Ben
GeneralGrievous
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by GeneralGrievous »

Super happy with my Borla hush. It was the first major purchase I made and installed it myself. I'm not Mr Mechanic (Just ask Julian and Zak) and it took me about 3 hours total.
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

W00t! My exhaust finally came off of back order! Hopefully it'll be waiting for me by time I get back to Springfield tomorrow.

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Awesome :) If you need help installing it, let me know.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Don't worry about 3" gaskets. I'll show you what to get if anything happens to your gasket. Don't bother buying the 3" replacement gaskets from Subydude or any other vendor for $20 either.

Mr. Gasket is the best stuff out there, trust me. I blew 3 gaskets and finally decided to try this stuff and it is the best solution for exhaust gaskets ever! I'll bring it to the meet next thursday.

I'll also be happy to help out on the install. I've got ramps, a floor jack and a shady place out of the sun if you want.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Libra Monkee wrote:W00t! My exhaust finally came off of back order! Hopefully it'll be waiting for me by time I get back to Springfield tomorrow.
It is about freakin' time! Yeah, daddy has good products but whether you ever get what you order is the toss-up. The mixed up shipments on me. Sent me WRX springs after a month, sent an email and then they next day'd me the intermediate pipe. Love the pipe, though. Still waiting for the new modular WBR hush 3" axleback to replace my OEM '05 STi axleback to finalize my TBE!

Any reason why you got the borla hush over the maddad 3" whisper catback? Did you just want the dual tips?

Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

sirwilliam wrote:Any reason why you got the borla hush over the maddad 3" whisper catback? Did you just want the dual tips?
Yeah I've always had a soft spot for the dual tips. :D

sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Libra Monkee wrote:
sirwilliam wrote:Any reason why you got the borla hush over the maddad 3" whisper catback? Did you just want the dual tips?
Yeah I've always had a soft spot for the dual tips. :D

Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

The General got me thinking. I've got a downpipe and a catback sitting in my garage making a nice home for the spiders. I'd like to get this installed before starts getting too cold but I need proper tools and someone who knows what the :censor: they're doing.

This weekend would be ideal but if that's too short notice or no one's available, next weekend might work I just have to see if I can get out of this trip my job's trying to send me on, which planned on doing anyway.

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Sunday afternoon I cold probably help out :) I need to get to work on my turbo as well...
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Libra Monkee wrote:The General got me thinking. I've got a downpipe and a catback sitting in my garage making a nice home for the spiders. I'd like to get this installed before starts getting too cold but I need proper tools and someone who knows what the :censor: they're doing.

This weekend would be ideal but if that's too short notice or no one's available, next weekend might work I just have to see if I can get out of this trip my job's trying to send me on, which planned on doing anyway.
The only hard thing about installing a TBE is getting to the DP bolts and tightening them. The Catback is a piece of pie, easy as cake :wink:

My mods to do list is getting crazy big:

-removal of JDM STi scoop
-removal of GTSpec splitter
-reinstallation of stock hoodscoop
-modification of bumper
-relocation of license plate
-relocation of 1st catch can
-installation of 2nd catch can
-installation of custom FMIC
-installation of custom CAI
-removal of stock springs
-installation of Springs
-removal of stock endlinks
-installation of rear endlinks
-installation of lateral links supports
-installation of hella supertones
-removal of OEM STi axleback
-installation of rear axleback (should be here in 2 months)
-installation of RAAMmat sound deadening

That is all I can think of right now.

WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Libra Monkee wrote:The General got me thinking. I've got a downpipe and a catback sitting in my garage making a nice home for the spiders. I'd like to get this installed before starts getting too cold but I need proper tools and someone who knows what the :censor: they're doing.
If you're going to install a downpipe, I would highly recommend you first consider some heat-management solutions (if you haven't already). That downpipe can get quite hot - and in the right conditions, it can start to affect other parts in the engine bay (it happened to me so I know of what I speak).

Both Mr Kleen and myself used an exhaust header wrap to keep the heat in. You can also use sprays to keep the heat down. Whatever option you choose, you'll want to take action prior to installing the pipe (duh!).

--Alan
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

WRXWagon2112 wrote:
If you're going to install a downpipe, I would highly recommend you first consider some heat-management solutions (if you haven't already). That downpipe can get quite hot - and in the right conditions, it can start to affect other parts in the engine bay (it happened to me so I know of what I speak).

Both Mr Kleen and myself used an exhaust header wrap to keep the heat in. You can also use sprays to keep the heat down. Whatever option you choose, you'll want to take action prior to installing the pipe (duh!).

--Alan
Allan is right. You should think about wrapping or I would recommend using BLACK SATIN.

That is the stuff I am going to use on my downpipe and exhaust manifold.

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

or wrap it and then coat it with Black Satin. I love wrappin' so let me know if you want to do it for you. seriously.
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

Mr Kleen wrote:or wrap it and then coat it with Black Satin. I love wrappin' so let me know if you want to do it for you. seriously.
-Ben