17" wheels, and maybe tires, for '04 FXT...

Need better contact with the ground? Come on in.

Moderator: Moderators

ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

17" wheels, and maybe tires, for '04 FXT...

Post by ElZorro »

So, yea. Got a flat a week and a half ago. Hole in the sidewall + 25K on 20K tires means I'm in the market for some new rubber. Gonna do that, might as well get some wheels... 17", fairly low-key (stock looking would be nice), not willing to spend a ton of money. Any suggestions? Would love to keep it under $200/wheel w/o tires, but willing to go up to $250 if there is a good technical reason for it (Gram Lights worth the extra?) Looking thru tirerack.com I'm finding the Gram Lights 57S (silver) or the Kazera KZ-A Dual PCD (silver or black w/ silver lip). No, I have not checked offsets, or brake fitment, etc.

Suggestions?
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Make sure that you get something that will fit under big brake kits. You know you are going to want this later ;)

Do you have a preference on color? Size (17x7.5 or 17x8?)? More details!!!!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

I don't have a preference on width, more rubber would be nice, these are gonna be summer only. Stock wheels will go back on with probably another set of Blizzaks this winter so brakes won't get bigger than what stock wheels can take.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

*falls out of chair*
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

How do you like Prodrive P-7s?
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

zaxrex wrote:How do you like Prodrive P-7s?
Yea, thats a tree you've been barking up for awhile. :) If you have a good link for pictures (since prodrive's site is down) lemme know, and maybe we'll bolt one on just to take a look. And if you don't mind, PM me with how many appendages you'll need in payment.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I'm a fan of the Rota wheels. they look good, they aren't super heavy, and they're cheap! (hey, sort of like me :P )

EDIT: personally, I'm going to go with a set of 17x8's next spring when it's time for new shoes. not sure what style yet, but I'm going wider for next summer.
Last edited by Mr Kleen on Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Mr Kleen wrote:I'm a fan of the Rota wheels. they look good, they aren't super heavy, and they're cheap! (hey, sort of like me :P )
I'll admit, the rotas are great wheels. Was very pleased with my last set on the wrx, can't wait to get a set for teh STi.

I think subydude sells most sets of 17's for like ~600 shipped, or something close to that.
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Appriciate the advice everyone! But, when push came to shove, and i looked thru the priorities... wheels lost. So, I ordered 215/60HR-16 Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S's. Great rating, just as good as the WS-50's for snow and better in every other category. $107/each from Tire Rack.

Hopefully I'll be able to look at the priorities again in a couple months and do 17's, Forester STi springs, sway bar and end links.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

So what won? HT? :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

BOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

1/10, would not read again.

Grrrr.
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

sabre wrote:So what won? HT? :)
No, getting the body work fixed and the left rear suspension... should get old things fixed before I start making improvements.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

bluscooby23 wrote:BOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Yea, I know. I'm not saying I ain't gonna do it, just saying that this week is a bad time. If my tread wasn't so bad, and I wasn't running on the donut, I'd try and last for a bit, but this is a necessary purchase and not just a nice-to-do.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

ElZorro wrote:I don't have a preference on width, more rubber would be nice, these are gonna be summer only. Stock wheels will go back on with probably another set of Blizzaks this winter so brakes won't get bigger than what stock wheels can take.
You can get some racingbrake lightweight aluminum 4 pots that fit under the stock wheels :wink:

http://www.racingbrake.com/FORESTER_Sto ... s/2257.htm

http://www.racingbrake.com/product_p/20 ... 411-18.htm

Basically, I will eventually grab these as well. You can use them w/ the racing brake larger legacy rear kit (which some people call H6 upgrade).

Just go to the "WRX/STi=>brakes" section at www.boxer4racing.com and you can find both for the best price.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

forgot to keep up with this post.

Post by zaxrex »

Here are the silver wheels, by popular request
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Go w/ ROTAs...good wheels for cheap.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

May I recommend the Kosei K1 TS in Grey.

My brother in law just put a set on his Red LGT and they look very sharp!
The 17" x 7"s are $199 each and weigh only 14.6 lbs. They are hyper cast and are said to be pretty strong. If they would only fit over my brembos this is what would be on my car! They do fit over Stop Techs however.

My bro-in-law got them with a set of General with a set of General Exclaim UHPs, and he is very impressed with them so far. He likes them much better than his RE92s and they are a very inexpensive tire, a set of 235/45WR17s would run you $79 a pop. They sell them as a Ultra High Performance Summer, but they carry a mud and snow rating. Supposedly they were designed to resist hydoplaning.

The one test that tire rack put them in they did very well in the wet and decent in the dry. However, they were up against two of the best Ultra High performance tires on the market, the Yokohama AVS ES100 and the new KUMHO ECSTA SPT. The SPT took every performance catergory. A set of 17" SPTs were actually tested on a LGT with a TEIN flex suspension against the Spec B which runs on 18" Bridgestone RE050, and it matched or beat it in every test. Not bad for being a higher profile and being up against a Max Performance Summer tire that sell for $200 a piece. The 235/45WR17s SPTs will run you $90 each.

So there, in a nutshell, are my thoughts. If you want light and strong wheels that won't break your bank, the Kosei K1 TS is my current fav. As for tires, if your looking cheap but good, the General Exclaim UHPs might fit your bill. If you want great performance at a bit more cost grab the SPTs.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

+1 for the K1's. Awesomest wheel evAr for the miata :)
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz