winter tire choice for the FXT

Need better contact with the ground? Come on in.

Moderator: Moderators

ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

winter tire choice for the FXT

Post by ElZorro »

Ok, what do all you experts think? 215/65HR16 Dunlop Winter Sport M3 on my stock (215/60/16) rims for the winter? I'll see a speedo difference of about 3%, but from what I've been reading the FXT is about 3% fast so it'll all work out. I was considering the 215/60QR16 Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50, but the ratings are a little higher on the M3, and I'd like to have some nice tires for once.

Links:

Dunlop Winter Sport M3

Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
ButtDyno
I walk to work

Post by ButtDyno »

What's wrong with the stock tires?
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Oh how I hate the stock tires, let me count the ways... no grip on dry, wet or snow. Terrible wear (anyone that has seen them after one autocross class would agree). They are loud. ABout the only thing going for them is the price tag ($70/tire) and the fact that I already have a set.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

elzorro wrote:Oh how I hate the stock tires, let me count the ways... no grip on dry, wet or snow. Terrible wear (anyone that has seen them after one autocross class would agree). They are loud. ABout the only thing going for them is the price tag ($70/tire) and the fact that I already have a set.
Recommended:
http://www.tirerack.com/servlet/CallJsp ... al=Pricing

With:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... Nero+M%26S

Can anyone say Bl|ng :)

If you want to "fix" the handling problems: Sway bars and some springs!!!!!!

John, he's in denial, that's all ;)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

I like the tires, problem is my stock tires are 216/60/16. I don't see an exact match. I'll admit I'm a tire n00b, are there any of those that can go on my stock rims?
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

elzorro wrote:I like the tires, problem is my stock tires are 216/60/16. I don't see an exact match. I'll admit I'm a tire n00b, are there any of those that can go on my stock rims?
Dunno, I'm not an expert either :/ I thought you were going to get new rims too. Would be nice to keep the stockers for winter and then have a set of summer rims (18x8!!! haha) :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

That's the plan, but I'd like to run my winter tires on the stock rims. I don't want low-profile when you can't see pot-holes or curbs. :)
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

elzorro wrote:That's the plan, but I'd like to run my winter tires on the stock rims. I don't want low-profile when you can't see pot-holes or curbs. :)
I wouldn't know a thing about that....

This is a link to a review of the Ultra Performance Tires:
here
and
here

Even though they are not great for AutoX, I can't fault the Cont. Extreme Cont.'s. They did VERY well for me through some deep snow!
Julian
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

So I ordered the M3's from TireRack this morning. Having them dropped shipped to a place here in Herndon for M&B on my stock rims. We'll talk again this summer about sport tires and the whole suspension issue... :)
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

congrats! When are they supposed to be in?
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Shipping from Delaware ground, so if they ship tomorrow they'll arrive Wednesday. I have an installation appointment for Friday afternoon. That'll give me the weekend and a couple days early next week to get used to them and find problems before we hit the highway for our 2.4K mile drive.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

elzorro wrote: That'll give me the weekend and a couple days early next week to get used to them and find problems before we hit the highway for our 2.4K mile drive.
This should read:
elzorro wrote: That'll give me the weekend and a couple days early next week to use up all the sidewalls before we hit the highway for our 2.4K mile drive.
:lol:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Well, there is some truth to that... I'm going to let the wife drive it, so those tires will definetly have some curb rash!

And a moment for a rant... TireRack shows the tire is "In Stock", but Luke just called and explained that in stock means they have >= 1 tire... in this case exactly 1 left in stock, with ETA for next delivery OCT05. So, the Blizzak's for me!
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

All I can say is holy f---ing shit. I had no idea that tires would change the Forester that much.

Well, maybe I can say more. I put on the 215/60/16 Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50's today. I've only got about 5 miles on them, but the difference is incredible. The first thing I noticed was they are much quieter and smoother than the stock Yokohama Geolandar H/T G900 215/60/16's. I pushed it hard through a couple turns, i felt glued to the road, no sliding and squeeling like the OE's.

The only down side is there seems to be a significant increase in body roll. If I let off the gas or break a touch hard going into a corner you can feel the flex in the tires. It is most noticeable when when I give it the old side-to-side number, a bunch of quick left-rights to get it off balance. It feels sloppy, but the tires are firmly on the ground.

Has anyone run a tire like this on the Forester? (Fansipans?) Any thoughts on why I'm feeling this? The geometry of the tires is damn near identical. The most likely cuplrit is tire pressure, they probably inflated them to the door panel number (like 28psi), I had been running the stock tires around 35.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

elzorro wrote: The only down side is there seems to be a significant increase in body roll. If I let off the gas or break a touch hard going into a corner you can feel the flex in the tires. It is most noticeable when when I give it the old side-to-side number, a bunch of quick left-rights to get it off balance. It feels sloppy, but the tires are firmly on the ground.
The most likely cuplrit is tire pressure, they probably inflated them to the door panel number (like 28psi), I had been running the stock tires around 35.
<cough> suspension upgrades <cough>

Definitely up the pressure too :) Won't be as quiet, but you'll get ride of the soft sidewalls.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI