6 of Apple’s biggest failures

The place for technology related posts.

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

6 of Apple’s biggest failures

Post by Sabre »

EDN

We’d like to think success is a nice, clean ride to the top, a “they can do no wrong” ride for the chosen ones. But, no, it’s really more of a messy climb, where one slips and slides more than they succeed, ultimately getting themselves on an upward, but wobbly trajectory.

When Apple makes its formal iPhone announcement on Tuesday, in will do so for the first time with some actual competition. Samsung’s mobile devices are starting to nip at Apple’s sales, with more and more former iPhone owners are moving to Galaxy devices.

Now, we’re not saying that Apple’s offering will fail to meet anticipation next week, nor are we saying they won’t sell. But the prospect of Apple not being number 1 hasn’t occurred in a while.

This has us thinking of how Apple made its way to success – like the image suggests, it was a messy ride to the top – and the failures that got it where it is today.

Flip through the following Apple failures and share your own thoughts on failing (not falling) into success.
I didn't know all of them, but I totally agree with the way success is actually generated. Anyone who believes that success is easy is fooling themselves.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: 6 of Apple’s biggest failures

Post by complacent »

i wouldn't necessarily agree with the usb mouse entry. the single button (iirc) was an attempt to force software developers to develop less complex menu systems for programs. the end results were programs that required less digging around in menus to achieve state change. to that end, i think it was a success. they physical design? not so much. imho, apple didn't get the mouse figured out until they offered their glass no-button trackpads on their laptops.

...i liked my g4 cube :oops:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

Just before that, though, Hollywood took notice of the Cube. Sixteen Cubes were used to power the displays of the computer consoles in the UPN TV 2001 show “Star Trek: Enterprise.”
Woah nice.

Yeah I always liked the cube from an aesthetic and footprint standpoint.
-Ben
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Me too. I thought every executive would want one.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.