2013 Ram 3500 Heavy Duty Tops the Class

Non-technical forum for other car makes. Good example: VW fan sites.

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

2013 Ram 3500 Heavy Duty Tops the Class

Post by Sabre »

The Torque Report
Chrysler wants to hold the title of building the most capable trucks and has released the class-leading towing and weight ratings for its 2013 line of Ram Heavy Duty pickups and Chassis Cab trucks. The Ram 3500 Heavy Duty pickup will claim a 30,000-pound trailer capacity thanks to a new class-exclusive 50,000 pounds-per-square-inch, high-strength steel frame, improved transfer case, higher-load transmission and an upgraded 6.7-liter Cummins Turbo Diesel engine with 850 lb.-ft. of torque.

Ram's closest competitor is limited to a 23,100-pound maximum trailer.

"We built the new 2013 Ram Heavy Duty to be the undisputed Heavy Duty 'King of the Road.' These new rigs deliver on the number one key attribute most critical to these customers: uncompromising capability," said Fred Diaz, President and CEO -- Ram Truck Brand and Chrysler de Mexico, Chrysler Group LLC. "Towing capability, reliability and engine performance are ranked first through third, respectively, with HD customers. The 2013 Ram Heavy Duty trucks unequivocally deliver all those things, as well as a very low total cost of ownership."

For 2013 the 6.7L diesel engine benefits from an all-new cooling system. A high-efficiency fan, dual radiators, dual transmission coolers and low-slung charge air cooler afford 25 percent more heat-rejection capacity. Lower operating temperatures deliver improved performance, durability and lower operating costs.

Ram is also introducing a new Ram Active Air intake system. When the intake system senses extreme heat, it draws cooler air from the front of the vehicle - a function that also engages at high altitudes for superior throttle response in low oxygen environments. When conditions are wet from snow, ice or water-fording, the system pulls air from an under-hood inlet, clear from snow packing and water.

Good lord that is impressive for a consumer grade truck!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: 2013 Ram 3500 Heavy Duty Tops the Class

Post by zaxrex »

What?
I can't hear you over the enormous hood.
I think I just ran over Oprah...
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

torque for days.

:drool:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

Ram's closest competitor is limited to a 23,100-pound maximum trailer.
Pussies.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Ram is also introducing a new Ram Active Air intake system. When the intake system senses extreme heat, it draws cooler air from the front of the vehicle - a function that also engages at high altitudes for superior throttle response in low oxygen environments. When conditions are wet from snow, ice or water-fording, the system pulls air from an under-hood inlet, clear from snow packing and water.
This I find intriguing.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Can't wait to see these stuck in traffic on 66 and 395 with exactly one person inside.

'Merica!
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

I can't wait to see what Banks Power does with their kits. :nana:
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

i like the fact that the motor in question (6.7L!) is larger than a coffee table.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

I still find it hard to believe that:

-these have been in service for 25 years in light vehicles
-they now make up >50% of the sales in the models they are offered
-these big trucks get better fuel efficiency than some passenger cars ( M3, CTS-V, etc)

And yet...

-Cummins has yet to cut the displacement and torque in half and sell in the US. Mazda, BMW, VW and MB are 'leading' the way with offerings in the US... when the technology is essentially a quarter-century old.