Forget fluorescents, plastic lighting strips coming out next

The place for technology related posts.

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Forget fluorescents, plastic lighting strips coming out next

Post by Sabre »

The Reg

The blinking, buzzing fluorescent lighting tubes that have blighted office buildings for over 70 years could be on their way out, now that US scientists think they've cracked a system to replace them with glowing plastic.

"People often complain that fluorescent lights bother their eyes, and the hum from the fluorescent tubes irritates anyone sitting at a desk underneath them," said David Carroll, professor of physics and director of the Wake Forest University Center for Nanotechnology and Molecular Materials. "The new lights we have created can cure both of those problems and more."

The new system, dubbed field-induced polymer electroluminescents (FIPEL), uses three layers of white-light emitting polymers that have been mixed with nanomaterials that glow when electrically stimulated. The research team claims the resultant light is close to natural sunlight but can be filtered for specific colors.

Because of the nature of the materials the light source can be built in sizes from eight feet square down to the size of a single light bulb. The team says they are twice as efficient as conventional fluorescents, and as good as LEDs when it comes to energy consumption and won't need a hazmat team to clean up if they break.

While recycling them could be an issue the design should last much longer than conventional lighting systems. The team says one of their units has been in operation for over a decade with no sign of dying as yet.

Full details of the system have been published in the peer-reviewed journal Organic Electronics and a commercial company is set to start selling the new panels as early as next year.

In 2007, then-president George W. Bush signed off on legislation calling for a 25 per cent reduction in incandescent bulb energy use by 2012, but several presidential candidates in the last US election tried to portray President Obama as using such legislation to promote government control, after he supported the move.

Minnesota Congresswoman Michele Bachmann felt so outraged by the energy-saving proposition that she introduced the Light Bulb Freedom of Choice Act to abolish the recommendation. Defeated Republican contender Mitt Romney also picked up on the subject.

"The government would have banned Thomas Edison's light bulb," Romney told the University of Chicago, Huffington Post reports. "Oh yeah, Obama's regulators actually did."
Pretty cool innovation!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Forget fluorescents, plastic lighting strips coming out

Post by Mr Kleen »

Even light bulbs are politicized now. :roll:
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

My only real issue with the incandescent bulb ban is that there clearly is no "real" plan for the recycling of the compact fluorescents that would obviously replace them. It is just an unfunded mandate. I have only been buying compact fluorescents for the past few years and already have 6 that have failed or didn't work from the get-go and I don't really have a good solution for disposing of them. I don't live anywhere near a "collection center" so I'm just storing them until I make a trip at some future date. But I suspect I am not the norm, and many, MANY people will just throw them away. On a small scale that is no big deal, but if enough folks over enough time do so, the environmental impact will be huge. If there is a plan to mitigate this I have never heard of it. I have a number of contacts in the environmental field and all of them share my concerns and don't see any obvious, simple or cost effective solutions.

That aside, I see the day when FIPEL or LED will be the dominant lighting solutions for nearly everyone in the developed world.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I don't see compact fluorescent being around for much longer. LED's in all their forms (LED, OLED, QD etc.) are much more efficient and I think better (than incandescent and fluorescent) for the environment.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Mr Kleen wrote:Even light bulbs are politicized now. :roll:
lol, see my article on the Centennial bulb. This happened LONG ago...
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

That was a little different: manufacturers were getting together in secret to agree to sabotage a consumer technology.