2014 Porsche Cayman Arrives in the Spring and Starts at $52k

Non-technical forum for other car makes. Good example: VW fan sites.

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

2014 Porsche Cayman Arrives in the Spring and Starts at $52k

Post by Sabre »

Torque
The 2014 Porsche Cayman was just unveiled at the 2012 LA Auto Show. Porsche says that the third-generation Cayman is lower and longer, lighter and faster, more efficient and more powerful than ever. The two-seat Cayman will be launched in two versions: Cayman and Cayman S. Together a longer wheelbase, wider track and larger wheels enhance the driving performance of Porsche's mid-engine sports car.

The Cayman is powered by a 2.7-liter engine with 275 hp; with the Sport Chrono package it accelerates from a standstill to 60 mph in 5.1 seconds. The 3.4-liter engine in the Cayman S produces 325 hp; with PDK and the Sport Chrono package it sprints from 0-60 mph in 4.4 seconds.

The 2014 Porsche Cayman will arrive in the spring starting at $52,600 for the Cayman and $63,800 for the Cayman S, not including a destination charge of $950.
I'd love to own one of these, but my pockets are not deep enough :(
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: 2014 Porsche Cayman Arrives in the Spring and Starts at

Post by Mr Kleen »

A Cayman S with a few choice options is $72,000 (yes, I've played with the configurator a few times). I think that's about $12,000 more than it should be and prices me out of the game completely.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I remember an article a number of years back that set out to modify a Cayman to beat the 911. I think it was Driver's Republic (now dead), and IIRC they started with a base Cayman not an S.

The list included reflash, intake, pulley, exhaust, springs, wheels & tires. It lost in (but was close) in straight line tests, but won on the slalom, skidpad and lap times. It was an interesting read and while they confirmed the mods improved the car, they were not certain they were all worth the cost.
Raven
Mr. Underpowered or something

Post by Raven »

I'd just save the $10K+ and have a regular Cayman. There's nothing I can do with 325 HP on regular roads that I can't do with 275. The only mods I'd even consider is a coil-over suspension, everything else more than adequate from the factory.
All my cars have drum brakes and are sub 200 hp, what am I doing with my life?
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
1985 Chevy Caprice (no fuel system)
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

The S gets more upgrades than just power, and while the power isn't a huge increase the torque curve is much better. Numbers don't tell the entire story.