Mazda Unveils the 2014 Mazda6

Non-technical forum for other car makes. Good example: VW fan sites.

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Mazda Unveils the 2014 Mazda6

Post by Sabre »

Torque
Torque #2

Mazda has unveiled the all-new 2014 Mazda6 sedan at the Moscow Motor Show. The Mazda6 is the second new generation of Mazda models that adopts the full range of Mazda's new Skyactiv technology and KODO design language.

The new Mazda6 was previewed by the Mazda Takeri concept that was unveiled late last year. "The new Mazda6 has a robust framework and a low, wide stance that expresses strength and stability, creating the impression of amazing vitality without detracting from the universal aesthetic appeal and beautiful form it displays as a CD car," says Chief Designer Akira Tamatani. Inside the new Mazda6 features a driver-oriented cockpit.

In Russia, buyers will be able to choose between a 2.0L four-cylinder with 147 horsepower or a 2.5L engine with 189 horsepower. The 2.0L engine can be mated to either a six-speed manual or automatic, while the 2.5L can only be combined with the six-speed automatic transmission. The Mazda6 with the 2.5L engine also gets Mazda's new "i-ELOOP" brake energy regeneration system, which improves fuel efficiency in real world driving situations. According to Mazda, the Mazda6 is the first passenger car brake energy regeneration system in the world to utilize a capacitor. The Mazda6 also gets "i-stop," Mazda's start/stop idling system.

Mazda hasn't released the specs for the US version, but has stated that the new Mazda6 will go be introduced to global markets starting in late 2012.
Mazda has unveiled the all-new 2014 Mazda6 midsize sedan at the Moscow Motor Show. The new Mazda6 is scheduled to start arriving in some markets this fall. At the show chief designer Akira Tamatani revealed that Mazda is currently deciding if a coupe version of the Mazda6 makes sense. Tamatani told Autocar, "There is no decision, but I would love to make one. The first job is to make the saloon and estate, but from this position a coupe is not so far away."

If a coupe version is produced, it could arrive as early as a year after the sedan and wagon versions arrive. Mazda program manager Hiroshi Kajiyama also confirmed that an all-wheel drive Mazda6 is currently being evaluated by Mazda.

"There are no set plans, but we are studying the possibility of introducing all-wheel drive - it would be a good weapon with which to establish the brand," said Kajiyama. "It is my belief that there is a very strong opportunity for us if we bring it to market."
I'm digging the rear... for some reason I'm seeing some RX-7 (FD) in it. The front headlights look like Audi and Subaru's love child though, haha.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Re: Mazda Unveils the 2014 Mazda6

Post by PGT »

Sabre wrote: I'm digging the rear...
color me shocked!
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

rear good. front hideous.
-Ben
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

The Mazda6 with the 2.5L engine also gets Mazda's new "i-ELOOP" brake energy regeneration system
I really don't like the characterization. I would at least expect there to be some kind of brake system integration, but this is completely independent of the right pedal. In fact, the i-ELOPED system only works when the pedal to the left of the brake is not being significantly depressed.
Instead of trying to recover the pumping losses across a restricted throttle opening, they add a supplementary parasitic engine system and a super cap.

But what I want to know is how big of a bad ass sound system can you put in there? Put in a couple of 16" base enclosures... 5000 watts would do nicely.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Raven
Mr. Underpowered or something

Post by Raven »

I like it.
All my cars have drum brakes and are sub 200 hp, what am I doing with my life?
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
1985 Chevy Caprice (no fuel system)
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

chicken n waffles wrote:rear good. front hideous.
at least it isn't as silly as teh super smiley miata.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

zaxrex wrote:But what I want to know is how big of a bad ass sound system can you put in there? Put in a couple of 16" base enclosures... 5000 watts would do nicely.
But how often would you have to ride the break to keep the capacitor charged enough to support that?

Looks wise, it's nice, but I think the Ford Fusion is the better looker.
Raven

Post by Raven »

complacent wrote:at least it isn't as silly as teh super smiley miata.
I liked that too. :(
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

drwrx wrote:But how often would you have to ride the break to keep the capacitor charged enough to support that?
Never, that is my whole point. This is not a braking regenerative system.
Since the system still has a battery in the loop (pun intended), that 25 volt alternator would run consistently if the cap discharges too much during momentary current draw.
But charging a cap is more efficient than a lead acid battery, so I don't think reasonable loads would be an issue.
OK, so you might need two caps to run a 5000w sound system...
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

complacent wrote:
chicken n waffles wrote:rear good. front hideous.
at least it isn't as silly as teh super smiley miata.
A point. Teh yuo has it.

I just can't get on board with this particular iteration of the KODO design. Doesn't flow like the Shinari concept sketches we've all seen and drooled over.
-Ben
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

drwrx wrote:
Looks wise, it's nice, but I think the Ford Fusion is the better looker.
Only things Mazda could offer to put me in a 6 over the Fusion Ecoboost are diesel, AWD, and diesel. Though they're probably blowing smoke up America's dress again with the promise for diesel in US in 2014.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

GaToR wrote:Only things Mazda could offer to put me in a 6 over the Fusion Ecoboost are diesel, AWD, and diesel. Though they're probably blowing smoke up America's dress again with the promise for diesel in US in 2014.
If you believe the automotive press, you don't want a Mazda diesel. Apparently Mazda diesels have a very poor reputation in the UK because of particulate filter failure.
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

drwrx wrote:
GaToR wrote:Only things Mazda could offer to put me in a 6 over the Fusion Ecoboost are diesel, AWD, and diesel. Though they're probably blowing smoke up America's dress again with the promise for diesel in US in 2014.
If you believe the automotive press, you don't want a Mazda diesel. Apparently Mazda diesels have a very poor reputation in the UK because of particulate filter failure
If that's the case they won't bring it here anyway. CARB won't stand for particulate emissions greater than what a bluejay emits.
DennieseG
I'm a n000b

Post by DennieseG »

Many people think that the Mazda6 looks like one of the best mid-size sedans in recent years in the non-luxury segment. It looks beautiful, am I right? It has lots of gadgets and goodies and should get great mileage while being fun to drive as it is a Mazda. I heard, it's price is beginning around $21,000, and EPA scores of up to 38 mpg have been publicized and it does look the part in writing. Check this out here.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Is that a Mazda-Bot up in here???
goob_os101
DCAWD Groupie

Post by goob_os101 »

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Mr Kleen wrote:Is that a Mazda-Bot up in here???
I was thinking the same thing, but giving benefit of the doubt...
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

goob_os101 wrote:Because Race Car!

moar here: http://rumors.automobilemag.com/mazda-a ... z2HVPagcrK
I do indeed want a production Mazdaspeed diesel. Yes I do.
Raven

Post by Raven »

goob_os101 wrote:Because Race Car!
:shock:

I really like the 6, but I don't see myself being in a situation where I need more car than a 2.
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup