OUYA busted my Kickstarter cherry.

The place for technology related posts.

Moderator: Moderators

Libra Monkee

OUYA busted my Kickstarter cherry.

Post by Libra Monkee »

Since the advent of the Playstation 1 the console industry had been dominated by the... I wanted to say the big 3 but it's probably more accruate to say the ONLY 3. Namely Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft. None of whom in recent memory have produced a game that can hold my attention for more then 5 minutes at a time.

Breaking them down Microsoft consoles are for twitch gamers in to FPSs and anything by EA Sports. Nintendo consoles are for 5-year-olds. And I'm pretty Sony is run by lawyers who aren't as interested making games as they are in making money from games.

Also, since they're all closed systems, as soon as someone tries to modify the $500 console they paid for, they end up getting smacked with a lawsuit a la Geohot.

Enter OUYA. An open-source hackable video game console. The project interested me because of that fact. With it being open and hackable there could be a lot of fun to be had with the box itself. The site even says that rooting the OS won't void your warranty! Plus the SDK is open to anyone who asks for it so any developers won't have to worry about licences or other hurdles to get games developed for the system.

Now, it IS Andriod based and Android gaming has been "MEH" at best. But here are the specs:

•Tegra3 quad-core processor
•1GB RAM
•8GB of internal flash storage
•HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
•WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
•Bluetooth LE 4.0
•USB 2.0 (one)
•Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad
•Android 4.0

My thought is even if it fails as a console, I can load Boxee or XMBC on it and make it an HTPC.

For more info check out the link I'm curious to see what kind of games they come up with and where the project goes. Plus, if this thing is successful, it could upset the established order of things. I'm all about that. ;)

OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console

P.S. Suck it Fil-Ames!

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
schvin
DCAWD Groupie

Re: OUYA busted my Kickstarter cherry.

Post by schvin »

:popcorn:
2004 impreza outback
1964 beetle
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Looks like I won't have to root it to load XBMC. They're already working on an Android port for Ouya.

OUYA, XBMC sitting in a tree, media s-h-a-r-i-n-g

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Ya, that project is taking off :nana: I paid the extra $30 to get a second controller too.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Good idea! Let me head over there before this thing closes out.