Outback and Forester suspension compatibility?

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

Raven
Mr. Underpowered or something

Outback and Forester suspension compatibility?

Post by Raven »

So I have a friend who lives in upstate NY who drives a Fit, but he is in need of a vehicle with more utility and AWD, but he still wants something fun to drive. My first thought is a 06-07 turbo Forester like Jason or Colin have since you can bolt STi bits on those and have a fun sporty utility vehicle, but he seems adverse to getting a car that old. Are the newer Foresters compatible with STi parts like the older ones are? Also, what about an outback? He's very interested in one of those too.
All my cars have drum brakes and are sub 200 hp, what am I doing with my life?
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
1985 Chevy Caprice (no fuel system)
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Outback and Forester suspension compatibility?

Post by Sabre »

Raven wrote:So I have a friend who lives in upstate NY who drives a Fit, but he is in need of a vehicle with more utility and AWD, but he still wants something fun to drive. My first thought is a 06-07 turbo Forester like Jason or Colin have since you can bolt STi bits on those and have a fun sporty utility vehicle, but he seems adverse to getting a car that old. Are the newer Foresters compatible with STi parts like the older ones are? Also, what about an outback? He's very interested in one of those too.
lol, you might want to change the title since it references suspension.

Any of the XT line will be compatible with STI parts. The exception is the newest Legacy GT (which he isn't considering) has a different turbo placement that I think will become standard in the next few years on other Subarus.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Raven

Post by Raven »

Well the title is referencing suspensions cause I want to know about the suspensions specifically. My friend is not mechanically inclined, engine mods are not a good idea for him. Plus he has a 115 hp Fit, a 230 hp Forester will blow his mind.
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

lol, for some reason I thought your post referenced engine mods. I'm obviously going nuts because I just re-read it and it says nothing about them! Suspension is the same deal, all parts should work. Keep in mind that if he put STI struts on his Forester/Outback though, that he would loose ground clearance. That is why Colin put his stock struts back on his Forester when he moved out to CO. Honestly, as far as mods, one of the best ones for that guy might be a brake upgrade. Just pads, lines and fluid would make a world of difference!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Raven

Post by Raven »

So how low would STi springs make it? And are sways an option to make it corner a bit flatter?
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I want to say 1.5", but that is a question for Colin/Darrin. Sways will help a TON in helping it corner.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

The drop is significant! The STi springs and struts lower it 3+" and should require some camber adjustment as well.
The sways are a bit different. I was able to put an 04 STi rear sway on my 04 XT w/o any issues, but apparently I'm not the norm as many have to further mod the bushing and mounts. Front sways are really not necessary on most turbo Subuarus. Adding an STi or adjustable 20-22mm rear sway increases the rotation more than enough to make for a nice, neutral cornering feel. The stock rear sways are narrow and set the car up for moderate understeer. A more substantial rear sway will mitigate that tendency without making it too tail-happy. If your friend plans to autocross the XT A LOT than perhaps thicker fronts and rears might be worth-while, but if he can get away with just an STi rear sway, I wouldn't bother with more.

The outback is a completely different story. He will likely have to look into Legacy components, which are less plentiful and more expensive.