hennessey tunes the crap out of an srt8. 800hp/823tq

Non-technical forum for other car makes. Good example: VW fan sites.

Moderator: Moderators

complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

hennessey tunes the crap out of an srt8. 800hp/823tq

Post by complacent »

article linky.

823TQ. 2X the cost of a cayenne turbo. is this the coolest thing done to an srt8, beautiful excess, or the worst example of putting a dress on a pig?
Hennessey Performance isn't exactly known for its cautious, modest treatment of engines, so we probably shouldn't be surprised when it continues to pair outlandish output numbers with unlikely vehicles.

Still, when the shop nearly doubles the output of the most potent Jeep, allowing the off-road icon to beat the Ferrari 599 GTB to 60 mph, it manages to ruffle our sensibilities just a bit.

Just in time for the holidays, Hennessey unveils the 2013 HPE800 Twin Turbo Jeep, which it introduces as so: "Who needs a reindeer when you have an 800-horsepower sleigh."

While Santa may still need a reindeer to leap the water bodies of the world, the average Jeep driver should be more than content with 800 horses.

Hennessey takes the 2012 Grand Cherokee SRT8, increases the size of its 6.4-liter HEMI V-8 to 7.0 liters and adds a twin-turbo system. Those modifications boost output from 470 to 805 horsepower and up torque to 823 pound-feet at 4,000 rpm.

In addition to the staggering engine upgrade, Hennessey upgrades the transmission and torque converter, adds a lowered sport suspension, and adds 15.1-inch Brembo brakes in front and back. The HPE800 Twin Turbo also gets 20-inch alloy wheels, a carbon fiber front splitter and a custom leather interior with Alcantara steering wheel.

When all is said and done, the HPE800 Twin Turbo Jeep is capable of hitting 60 mph from rest in 3.1 seconds, putting its performance more in line with a six-figure supercar than any average off-roader. That's good, because its $235,000 base price also has more in common with a supercar.

In case you're wondering if anyone would ever want to spend that kind of money for a juiced jeep, John Hennessey is plenty confident that he'll sell all 24 planned examples.

Hennessey said in a statement: "We've built dozens of 600-800 horsepower Jeep SRT8s over the past five years, so we have an existing client base who will want to upgrade the new Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 to an even higher level. This vehicle is designed for the performance minded driver who lives in Aspen or Moscow and wants to be the fastest in all weather conditions."
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: hennessey tunes the crap out of an srt8. 800hp/823tq

Post by Sabre »

That's just nutty! 3.1 0-60? :dropgob: Saying it's for all weather conditions is like saying you need a bulldozer to clean your windshield. Ya it will do it, but it's not the right tool. lol, with that much torque, I can't imagine it would get much traction in snow/ice, even with light application of the throttle!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

I have just one word.
Venom GT

They have been boasting about it for years, but as of August, only two have been delivered.
Me wonders if the Jeep will be the same.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

C&D wrote:The D&B report also provided a "Financial Stress National Percentile" rating, measured on a 1-to-100 scale, with 100 being the best possible score. Hennessey's company had a rating of one. (LPE [Lingenfelter Performance Engineering] had a 79.)
:shock:
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

if one assumes for a minute no mal intent, then its a classic case of robbing Peter to pay Paul. Using Customer B's deposit to finish work on Customer A's car. Having been involved in a business like that recently myself, I can tell you that there's no easy solution beyond cutting costs and improving efficiencies to increase profitability. Throw in an ounce of dickhead into the mix, its a recipe for a bad financial decision should one send money to a business like this.
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)