Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Black Series turns in 7:46 lap @ Ring

Non-technical forum for other car makes. Good example: VW fan sites.

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Black Series turns in 7:46 lap @ Ring

Post by Sabre »

AutoBlog

Democracy, said Winston Churchill, is the worst form of government...except for all the others. You might say the same of the Nürburging. Not the track itself, but the ultimate bragging rights that have emerged from comparing lap times on it. Because while there are countless factors that can affect a car's lap time over such a long circuit, it's still one of the best ways to measure a car's overall performance.

And so the comparisons carry on, especially for German cars that call the Nordschleife their backyard. This time we're looking at the latest slice of awesome wearing the Three Pointed Star, the Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Black Series coupe, which has reportedly posted a 7:46 lap time at the hands of local publication Sport Auto.

Breaking the eight-minute barrier is an achievement unto itself – one which the standard C63 AMG coupe just barely missed with an 8:01 – but stands up better to comparison: In the same group test, the new Porsche 911 Carrera S barely edged it out at 7:44, while the BMW M3 GTS hit it in 7:48, placing the Black Series right in the middle of the two.

Of course, another test under different conditions, with different drivers on a different day would surely come away with different results. But in an imperfect world, these are as close as we'll get to perfect figures.
Damn impressive!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Black Series turns in 7:46 lap @ R

Post by drwrx »

This just doesn't do anything for me, just like the M3 GTS. Sure, it's cool and fast, but I just don't see the point. It costs over $100,000 and while it is an improvement over the standard C63, the numbers only really make sense at a track and I don't see many of these being used in such a fashion. Similarly, the M3 GTS is also a purpose built track car and runs $170,000. For that kind of money there are better dedicated track cars out there.
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

Non-MB guys aren't the demo they're after. The typical BS owner is someone with a collection of cars. These started life as MB selling a street version of their F1 pace car program. This isn't a dedicated track car....still VERY street-able, as long as you don't mind firm suspension.
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

PGT wrote:Non-MB guys aren't the demo they're after. The typical BS owner is someone with a collection of cars. These started life as MB selling a street version of their F1 pace car program. This isn't a dedicated track car....still VERY street-able, as long as you don't mind firm suspension.
Between the color, the exhaust note, and the torque, I'd have a very hard time choosing between "staying in bed on a sunday" and beating the snot out of the car on every piece of asphalt between here and Winchester.
rocket scientist
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

PGT wrote:Non-MB guys aren't the demo they're after. The typical BS owner is someone with a collection of cars. These started life as MB selling a street version of their F1 pace car program. This isn't a dedicated track car....still VERY street-able, as long as you don't mind firm suspension.
This I get!
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I like it. :wiggle:

I can't afford it. :cry:
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

^^ Indeed, me too. All of their V8's sound heavenly. The SLS included!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

problem is...even if I COULD afford it, that money would be better spent on two or three different vehicles. GT-R + SVT Raptor or something.
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)