2011 Gemballa Mistrale - First Drive

Non-technical forum for other car makes. Good example: VW fan sites.

Moderator: Moderators

sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Uwe Gemballa hated door handles. And that’s why, in his honor, the 2011 Gemballa Mistrale, based on the Porsche Panamera Turbo, doesn’t have them, as the successors of the slain tuner (Gemballa was murdered while on a business trip last year to South Africa) put the pieces of his company back together.

Now under the leadership of Managing Director Andreas Schwarz, Gemballa is back with a car that carries all the classic cues—widened fenders, contrasting body accents, large 22-in. wheels and tires, and a prominent tail with round taillamps.

Inside, there are copious quantities of leather and Alcantara and aggressively bolstered sport seats, with padding that runs to the very firm side, almost to the point of being uncomfortable except for very lean drivers.

Beneath the hood, the engine is boosted to 707 bhp by enlarging the Garrett turbochargers on the 4.8-liter V-8 engine. Torque has been limited to 704 lb.-ft. in the interests in preserving the PDK gearbox.

The engine actually seems to have the horsepower Gemballa promised. The car launches with an immediate thrust that doesn’t really let up, even close to redline. Obviously, traction is never an issue thanks to all-wheel drive, and the 7-speed dual-clutch transmission rips through the gears quickly. The engine still responds smoothly and delicately to throttle input despite the larger turbochargers. Also, it has a much more audible American V-8 sound than the quieter, standard Panamera Turbo’s. Handling is superb, as one would expect considering the stellar performance of the stock Panamera in this department. This is also helped by the fact that the larger wheels and additional bodywork don’t really add extra weight to the car due to the use of lightweight materials. The brakes feel plenty strong, though Gemballa still needs to eliminate the persistent squeaking. Despite 22-in. rims, the Mistrale still offers a decent ride worthy of a luxury sedan that is primarily used for long-distance trips. All in all, Gemballa continued to focus on driveability and everyday usability while significantly enhancing the strong suits of the stock Panamera: performance and exclusivity.

Only 30 will be built (orders from the U.S. are being taken) and also in Gemballa tradition, the conversion is priced at 333,000 euros. That’s 578,737 euros when including the base car.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: 2011 Gemballa Mistrale - First Drive

Post by zaxrex »

...Torque has been limited to 704 lb.-ft. in the interests in preserving the PDK gearbox.
For that much money, they should be replacing the whole drivetrain with upgraded parts.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

longporsche is long.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

full diaper is full
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

PGT wrote:full diaper is full
this post is better than mine.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

^^ :lol:

I have to say, from the side/front.... I like it... but the rear does look like a full diaper and I really don't like the inside. That stitching only belongs on smoking jackets and classic British cars.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Panameras are all over the place here. If anyone can make them less ugly I'm all for it.

Diaper :rolllaugh: