2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI convertible? o_0

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI convertible? o_0

Post by Mr Kleen »

2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI convertible: Worst idea ever?
Autoblog wrote:Car dealers do the strangest things to their vehicles. Just think about how many cars are out there with awful vinyl and fabric roof add-ons, a generation after manufacturers nearly swore them off entirely. Manchester Subaru in Manchester, New Hampshire isn't content to create some sticker-and-tape fake trim level on a top-dog 2011 Subaru WRX STI. Instead, the dealer has gone all Chainsaw Massacre on the rally-bred performance sedan. The result is a picnic basket of automotive woe.

At least the "handle" left after all the chop-shopping maintains a fleeting semblance of rigidity. The rest? Awful. There's an ill-fitting tonneau, chopped door pillars and the STI's trademark enormous wing still hangs off the trunklid. The worst part? This poor Subaru's price is purportedly $75,000. Not kidding. Sure, there's an "exclusivity" factor, but 75 large buys an awful lot of real high performance convertible; the kind that won't corner like an overcooked noodle. The dealership reportedly commissioned five of these abominations, which is likely five more than anyone wants.
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Re: 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI convertible? o_0

Post by PGT »

just one was worth the press they're getting (which was their admitted intention)
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

PGT wrote:just one was worth the press they're getting (which was their admitted intention)
Exactly. No reason to do that to 4 more.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

:puke:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Dino944
I'm a n000b

Post by Dino944 »

What a terrible waste of an STi! At $75K, I'd probably be looking at something from Germany.
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

Dino944 wrote:What a terrible waste of an STi! At $75K, I'd probably be looking at something from Germany.
Blink... I'd be looking at a down payment on a house. I like the STI I've got, thanks. (especially since a friend of mine let me drive his 2007 650i)
rocket scientist
Dino944
I'm a n000b

Post by Dino944 »

avriette wrote:
Dino944 wrote:What a terrible waste of an STi! At $75K, I'd probably be looking at something from Germany.
Blink... I'd be looking at a down payment on a house. I like the STI I've got, thanks. (especially since a friend of mine let me drive his 2007 650i)
A more modern house might be nice.

Besides a 650i is so bloated you may as well be driving a house down the road :wink:
VietGuy
I walk to work

Post by VietGuy »

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011042 ... /110429856
Just in time for summer, Newport Specialty Cars rolls out its latest dropped top, the Subaru Impreza WRX STI. You are guaranteed to be the hit of the local scene from Tacoma to Tallahassee when you roll up in one of these. With room for five, your popularity could potentially quadruple.

We have driven many convertible conversions from these guys over the years--starting with an NSX in 1995--and they have all felt tight and secure over potholes, railroad tracks and any other suburban whoop-de-dos that got in the way. There were some fit-and-finish issues here and there, but the fundamental work was solid.

As with prior conversions, Newport reinforced the windshield frame, undercarriage and A- and B-pillars and added a basket-handle hoop connecting the B-pillars.

The work adds 140 pounds to the STI's 3,384-pound curb weight, which shouldn't wreak too much havoc on your power-to-weight ratio and might even be worth it in added points for style. The top goes down in 12 seconds, and there's even a nice cover for it once it's reclined. Trunk space is still available, too, even when the top's down. We don't have a figure but it looks as if about half the boot space is still free for groceries.

What's the convertible conversion cost?

“Starting from $25,000 and up,” was the somewhat vague quote we got from Newport's marketing guy Matthew Kahnamelli.

The company does a wide range of conversions, from things you'd never imagine with chopped tops to things that make perfect sense as convertibles--Hummer H2s and Toyota FJs to Dodge Challengers and Chevrolet Camaros.

You can see the range of potential donor cars at www.newportspecialtycars.com. You can e-mail the shop at info@newportspecialtycars.com, or call (714) 666-2449.

For the STI conversion, there is only one authorized dealer, Manchester Subaru in Manchester, N.H. You can reach owner Todd Berkowitz at (603) 668-2411. (Only one authorized outlet in the whole country? Who knows how that deal was set up?) You don't have to go all the way to New Hampshire to get your STI done, but that's the only authorized dealer.

For the other convertibles, there are more dealers. Newport Specialty Cars will either point you toward an authorized dealer in your area or, if there is no local dealer, then handle the transaction itself. All the work is done at NSC's Placentia, Calif., shop.

Now get some sunscreen and call them.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011042 ... z1KvWMHRST
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

i can only imagine how wobbly the chassis is after something like that.

i remember how custom bmw convertibles from back in the day would literally flex around bumps and railroad crossings... :ugh:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Maybe someone will like it.... but it's not for me.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.