where to get tuned?

UTEC/Hydra/MOTEC? STi, WRX, EVO, Legacy, R32? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

spazegun2213
teh Spaz

where to get tuned?

Post by spazegun2213 »

Ok, so i think that i should just bite the bullet and get it tuned while I'm home on break. I didnt want to do it now, but with the car knocking in third and on, i think its wise for me to get tuned. My only question is where? There is:

Agile
Pro motion
ultimate
TurboXS
(i think thats it)

so who has experiance with who? I'm thinking of pro motion because they came all the way up to a meet and were really nice guys.

-The knocker :(
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

TurboXS and Phil I know do good tunes. I'd like to support Promotion as well, maybe call them up and see how many subie's they've done. BTW, best car mod eVar is a tune.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

will Phil tune anything other than a hydra? that might be the only strike against that guy. hella-cool dude.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

keep in mind that teh Phil was the one who drove the test mule for TurboXS to an 11.53 IIRC. He has tuned (and broken) more Subys than most of us could ever afford. I have no doubt in his tuuning-fu (patent pending)
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Like the two above said, Phil is one hell of a guy and a good tuner. I've seen him (as in, was standing next to him) tune a UTEC, so I know he did it as of a year ago.

A couple of things to remember about Phil (which is why I like him):
- He gives SAFE tunes. He tunes the cars for the track. That means that they can go 4 hours of being driven hard and not take a beating (like in Time Attack). While other tuners might get an extra 10% out of your car, their tunes are made for 1-10 minutes of hard driving like most people do. They don't have to tune as safely because by the time the car is getting hot and such, the "fun run" is over.

- He's a good guy. If you have a problem, e-mail him/call him and he'll help you. I know I have, haha.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I have spent two tuning sessions with Jason over at Ultimate and think he is an excellent tuner. He and I have a very similar philosophy towards tuning. He is deffinately "NOT" into eaking out every ounce of power out of an engine. He answers questions, no matter how stupid I may feel they are and was willing to let me test some hair-brained ideas. When TurboXS wiped out all my maps he was willing to rebuilt mine for free.
Ultimate is also close (at least to me) which can be helpful.
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

w00t!! finally after a few frantic days phil + me + Altered dyno = a sweet tune!

I finally got talking with phil at element and he setup a time to tune my car!! I cant wait!
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

You're in good hands :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

spazegun2213 wrote:w00t!! finally after a few frantic days phil + me + Altered dyno = a sweet tune!

I finally got talking with phil at element and he setup a time to tune my car!! I cant wait!
Sweet! You will have to put up some dyno graphs when you are done :wink:
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Copy off those maps once you get tuned and also save the parameters and tuner constants. Fireproof steel and clay safes are good to use to store the data medium in.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears