TurboXS TBE

Audi too loud or not loud enough?

Moderator: Moderators

Willy24
I'm a n000b

TurboXS TBE

Post by Willy24 »

I recently installed a TurboXS TBE (catted) on my 04 STi. I am very happy with the performance gains (I also have Cobb's Access Port). The turbo spools up quicker and earlier, and the car pulls hard all the way to redline with no boost creep :P. It also has a nice throaty sound, but not too loud at lower RPM's.

Because the downpipe is so much bigger, the factory heat shield no longer fits over the turbo. I am curious what others have done regarding this, simply gone without a heat shield or maybe fabricated a new one? Right now I am without any heat shield and I worry that the heat from the turbo and downpipe is reducing the effectiveness of the TMIC.
04 Blue/Gold STi - Cobb AP Stage 2, TurboXS TBE (Catted), K&N Typhoon Intake, Grounding Kit, Cobb F&R Anti-Sway Bars, Cobb SS Brake Lines, Porterfield R4 Track Pads, Alpine 7998, MB Quart 6.5", 2 JL Audio 10" Subs, JL 500/1 & 300/4
DamSedan
I walk to work

Post by DamSedan »

I know that txs themselves have been with out a shield for quite some time. I do not have my shield on their either and did not notice much of any difference at all. I do plan on fabricating one myself over the winter though. I have basically been waiting to see what exhuast I end up with as I am now about to install my 3rd set up this weekend or maybe tonight. I will also be sticking the vf39 on the car this weekend as well. My fear was that something would melt down there but everything is looking fine.
I will always be the DRNWAGN!
Willy24
I'm a n000b

Post by Willy24 »

What material are you planning on using to make your heat shield?
04 Blue/Gold STi - Cobb AP Stage 2, TurboXS TBE (Catted), K&N Typhoon Intake, Grounding Kit, Cobb F&R Anti-Sway Bars, Cobb SS Brake Lines, Porterfield R4 Track Pads, Alpine 7998, MB Quart 6.5", 2 JL Audio 10" Subs, JL 500/1 & 300/4
AdsBot [Google]
I walk to work

Post by AdsBot [Google] »

try a cusco shield plenty of people are using it no complaints that i know of. I'm about to get one my self
districtlogic
I'm a n000b

Post by districtlogic »

forgot to sign in.. :P
Willy24
I'm a n000b

Post by Willy24 »

Thanks, do you have a link were I can get one?
serendipity
I'm a n000b

Post by serendipity »

I just cut mine with a grinder. If you trim the back and bottom halves, the top fits, and that's the part that matters (to keep heat off the intercooler).

However, it's such a pain working on the turbo with the heatshield in the way, that tonight, when I finished up YATS (Yet Another Turbo Swap), I just left that crap off. It's so thin, I doubt it does much anyway. :)
TAPOUT
Unicycle

Post by TAPOUT »

When I did my TXS TBE, I trimmed the heat shield a little, and put it back on. Now that I went with a larger turbo, I have a turbo blanket, and I plan to make my own heat shield sometime down the road.
hotsam
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by hotsam »

I cut mine with a plasma cutter...took like 20 seconds.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

holy zombie thread batman! :wink:
Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:03 pm
(I cut mine with tin snips)
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

tin snips here
-Ben
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

You could try the cobb heatsheild for $50 (very nice item)
Or the SPT Turbo Heatsheild for about $60 (also quite nice)
Or perhaps the Cuzco Turbo heatsheild for $69 (I have one of these)