Utec gods i summon thee!

UTEC/Hydra/MOTEC? STi, WRX, EVO, Legacy, R32? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Utec gods i summon thee!

Post by spazegun2213 »

Zack and others, I just put on my Borla CBE, switched the UTEC to Sti stage 2, and BOOM at WOT the boost needle spikes at like 1.4 BAR (20 psi). Me thinks that bad. It soon settles back to 1.2 BAR (~17.4 PSI) where it should be. scared the hell out of me to see the guage do that. I mean is it ok? I really dont want a "OH SH*T" moment as me engine breaks.

thanks
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

TURN that MBC down! Cold air + non-adjusted MBC = VERY bad.

Basically, turn down the boost all of the way, log some data to see where you are at and then slowly turn the boost up till you get it to where ever that map is tuned for (probably somewhere in the 17-18PSI range). Make sure to do the runs in 4th or 5th gear too.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

So i Turned the MBC all the way closed and it was still doing like 1.3 bar at peak! So i even tried the Stage 1 setting, and now i know what it does for a catback! I think I'm going to need a tune, i mean The Stage 2 is not supposed to have a catless dp!!!

I'd like you boost gods to take a look and see if its worth getting a tune now, or if i should wait till spring.

thanks

Gone But not forgotten
ldstang50
I walk to work

Post by ldstang50 »

1.3bar is about 18.8lbs. If you turned your MBC all the way down, the acuator should open at the minimal boost level required by the car. the evo its .7bar or 10lbs. I'm assuming you might be a little higher so witht he cold air, that would make sense why you are hitting such high boost
EVO XTC
i don't have hard drives. i just keep 30 chinese teenagers in my basement and force them to memorize numbers
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Well my friend, if you turned it all the way down and are still boosting that high, there is only a couple of things that it could be: Wrongly installed MBC or big time boost creep. The first can easily be fixed by checking your lines, the latter needs either a ported waste gate or some good tuning :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

The boost controller that came in the kit is an "auxiliary boost" controller. With it all the way closed, you will be running stock inputs. Stock inputs are ok with stock components but you have freet up some breathing room and are getting spikey. In the RPMs where the boost is jumping up, make sure that you are not running ECU or 0 levels in that seaction of the map.

Are you running the latest firmware in OLB or CLB? If you have a switchover point that is at the same RPM as the boost spike, considder lowering your cross-over threashold, or going full OLB.

clear as mud?
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

THE god has spoken, all bow... :mrgreen:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

zaxrex wrote:The boost controller that came in the kit is an "auxiliary boost" controller. With it all the way closed, you will be running stock inputs. Stock inputs are ok with stock components but you have freet up some breathing room and are getting spikey. In the RPMs where the boost is jumping up, make sure that you are not running ECU or 0 levels in that seaction of the map.

Are you running the latest firmware in OLB or CLB? If you have a switchover point that is at the same RPM as the boost spike, considder lowering your cross-over threashold, or going full OLB.

clear as mud?
*bows*

Umm do you charge hourly? I think i might need a comfortable seat so you can explain all this. I fell really bad saying that its their Stage 2 map, and thats all i really know....

-2 for me being unedjumkated!

Gone But not forgotten
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

So with a little time an effort, i made a custom stage 2 boost map and thats working just fine! I turned doen the boost a little and its hitting 1.1-1.2 Bar just like it should.

Hmm, i had fun doing that tonight (gave me something to do) No i really want an wideband and a TXS protuner for some real fun.... but i need to the money.... any donations to the "poor white boys college fund"?

Gone But not forgotten
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Cool, glad you got it working. Once you pick up the theory, the map values make a bit more sense.

I have a TunerPro that I have never used since it is going to be for the new engine (whenever Andrew gets around to giving it some TLC). If you don't want to buy one, I'll let you "rent" mine for the low cost of getting an EGT bung welded to a stainless steel exhaust manifold. It is going to be at least Spring before I would even think of using it.

Let me know if interested.

Za "no C"k
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

zaxrex wrote:Cool, glad you got it working. Once you pick up the theory, the map values make a bit more sense.

I have a TunerPro that I have never used since it is going to be for the new engine (whenever Andrew gets around to giving it some TLC). If you don't want to buy one, I'll let you "rent" mine for the low cost of getting an EGT bung welded to a stainless steel exhaust manifold. It is going to be at least Spring before I would even think of using it.

Let me know if interested.

Za "no C"k

When can i pick it up? haha, looks like I'll get into tuning before i imagined. I think i know a guy in manassass that can weld the bung on. I would love to tinker around with the UTEC and the tuner, I now have a flat road to make runs in 5th (thats not too illegal).

now i just need the idiots guide on engine tuning and I'm set!

-Spaze
ps... sorry about the name zak!

Gone But not forgotten
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

No worries about the name, this is actually the first time that I have mentioned it to this crowd.

Since it looks like you will be going to the meet tonigh, I'll see if I can unpack the hardware and bring it all to the meet. No gaurantees though, it might be down home in "storage". If it is, I'll bring it back next year after I return from The South.
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

Meh, if you get it this meet thats cool, if not I'll be back full time in feb!!

Gone But not forgotten