BaT Exclusive: All Original 1987 Porsche 959

Want to sell something to a local? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

This 1987 Porsche 959 has only 22k original miles and is offered by its second owner. It was imported into the USA under the DOT’s Show and Display clause, and is currently registered in Colorado with a clear title. The car is exactly as it left the factory, with all books, tools, and KM speedometer. It is offered by a private party owner and it was on the cover of the January 2009 PCA Panorama magazine. It is available in Longmont, Colorado for $435k. Contact us at mail@bringatrailer.com if you are interested.

follow the link for more info and pics.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: BaT Exclusive: All Original 1987 Porsche 959

Post by drwrx »

$435k...

Don't get me wrong, this is a very cool car but you have to have more money than brains to want this car.
1st: Show and Display only allows for around 2,500 miles a year, so you're NOT driving it anywhere.
2nd: Parts are non-existant, so you're NOT driving it anywhere.
3rd: You may not even be able to insure it, so you're NOT driving it anywhere.
4th: For the price, you can get much better performance today.

To quote Indiana Jones, "It belongs in a museum."
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

drwrx wrote:$435k...

Don't get me wrong, this is a very cool car but you have to have more money than brains to want this car.
1st: Show and Display only allows for around 2,500 miles a year, so you're NOT driving it anywhere.
2nd: Parts are non-existant, so you're NOT driving it anywhere.
3rd: You may not even be able to insure it, so you're NOT driving it anywhere.
4th: For the price, you can get much better performance today.

To quote Indiana Jones, "It belongs in a museum."
This is one of my all time favorite cars and what got me started on my love for Porsche automobiles but I 100% agree with the good doctor on this one.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

Amazing for its time, it is indeed a collector's item. I don't recall where I read it, but, there was a comparison of performance between the 959 and a current vanilla version of the 997 and the modern car outperformed it in every way. That said, it took 25 years to bring the status quo up to the stake in the ground the 959 threw out there for all to reach.

Years back, there was an article in Sports Car International about a 959 Speedster. The owner a of 959 got in a major accident on the way home from delivery of the car at the factory in Germany. He commissioned Porsche to take the wreck and make it a Speedster....shortened windscreen and removable hardtop. I'll dig and see if the article is out there somewhere...fascinating (to me) at the time...such a rare car and a great story.
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

found some of the article and rehosted the scans. looks like some of the pages are missing. Pg 1/2, 4, 5 and 8 are below:

ImageImage

2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

wow. museum-bound indeed. beautiful example though.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
scheherazade
DCAWD Groupie

Post by scheherazade »

200 ish mph, a bit over 3 ish 0-60... not exactly 'dated' by today's super car standards.
Maybe if you're comparing it to a veyron it might look slow, but to more pedestrian supercars (8-/) it's par for the course.
There's a lot of old supercars that today an accord V6 would chase down, but not this one :).

-scheherazade
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

While it could run a sub 4 second 0-60 and a solid sub 12 second 1/4 mile. The best max speed I ever heard it touch was around 180 mph. Again, no slouch, and amazing in it's day. But a modern day 911 turbo will exceed those numbers w/o issue at a third of the price without any of the not inconsiderable issues that come with this car.

Again, I love this car. I remember it fondly from my college days when it was unveiled. But as a $435k 2010 investment? Nope.
scheherazade
DCAWD Groupie

Post by scheherazade »

I agree the price is bad.
But performance wise, it's still a "supercar" today.
So it's slower than a modern 997.2 turbo.
But a 997.1 turbo? It's quite close.
What about a 996 turbo? Only one generation back... and the 959 is actually quicker.
959 is quicker than the V10 R8, granted that the top speed is closer to the V8 R8.
IMO it has "aged" exceptionally well.

Apparently it was the "Canepa Design" tuner version that was 200mph (wikipedia).

-scheherazade