subaru-powered flying car. faa approved. o_O

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

subaru-powered flying car. faa approved. o_O

Post by complacent »

now this is one wild flying car.
The I-Tec Maverick, a roadworthy dune buggy powered by a Subaru engine, has won the first certification from the Federal Aviation Administration for a flying car. Its first mission: Saving the Third World.

Steve Saint runs i-Tec, which stands for "indigenous people's technology and education center." A Christian missionary, Saint started the firm to solve technological problems for remote tribes of Central and South America, and spent six years working on the Maverick.

With a 170-hp, 2.4 liter Subaru four-cylinder built into a canvas-covered frame, the Maverick can run up to 60 mph in less than 4 seconds. But its real trick comes when it deploys a cloth wing on a 22-foot mast and takes flight. After years of testing, the FAA in September certified the Maverick as a "powered parachute." That's different than the Terrafugia and similar vehicles which are classified as roadworthy planes.

Saint says since the Maverick needs just 100 yards to take off, it could help missionary pilots and jungle tribes become self-sufficient without having to abandon their way of life. His current estimated price for a production Maverick is $80,000, but hopes that sales to recreational pilots drive down the cost.
there's a video on the site that i couldn't embed, but it's totally worth watching!

:cheers:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: subaru-powered flying car. faa approved. o_O

Post by Sabre »

Wow, now there is an interesting play on the flying car! 80k and it could be yours! :shock:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Hmm, text says 170 hp, but vid says 260 hp.
I guess there must be a forced induction option.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Out of a 2.4L, most definitely FI. The "holy grail" is 100HP/L and not that many production engines actually do that. No NA Subies that I know of at least.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

the Subaru flat six has been used widely as a replacement for the Lycoming engine
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

For Lycoming engines in applications that accept an auto engine replacement, sure Subaru EA and EJ 4 and EG 6 cyl engines are popular.

But none of those applications are certifiable as aviation power plants. You can't just plop one of those in if your 540 or 580 takes a dirt nap.

And remember, Subaru's own plane was powered by a Lyc.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears