This sucks....advice needed.... exhaust related

Audi too loud or not loud enough?

Moderator: Moderators

snailpower
I'm a n000b

This sucks....advice needed.... exhaust related

Post by snailpower »

My car has among other things, an HKS "HI POWER " exhaust. Well wouldn't you know that johnny law realized that tonight :x . He was really nice about it but said it has to come off b/c it doesn't have a "DOT" stamp on it. Thats all fine and great but i've invested way too much money into this car to just rip the exhaust out from under it. He said he knows its illegal from the way the engine "lopes" :rolllaugh: Any way I could go into how I wouldn't get pulled over if I drove a jacked up diesel or a blown big block on slicks dragging sissy bars behind me, but i'll leave that alone. I am asking for legit advice on stock appearing mufflers/ axle back sections that will mate to the HKS unit. For the record.....yes I live in a one horse town that has like 3 cops in it and the next time I drive this thing around town these guys are gonna give my arse a good ream job with a large corn cobb. I shoulda built a big block camaro.... :roll:
"Some call it turbo lag, I call it foreplay"
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

TXS Magnaflow axleback FTW.... lemme find you a linky.

edit: found linky
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
snailpower
I'm a n000b

Post by snailpower »

Do you think anyone would trade me an STi catback or would that be stupid? The car wasn't that loud until the tubular manifold went on :nana: Perhaps I could buy a stock STi muffler / axleback. See, the problem is i'm el broko from christmas spending, so whatever I do is gonna have to be excessively cheap. If someone did trade me it wouldn't just bolt up to an HKS downpipe would it? The reason i'm asking is my buddy has an 05 wagon and he wants an exhaust but is in the same boat financially. I gotta go to work, i'll check back in tonight when I get home.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask... You might want to try posting in the MAIC classifieds - you'll start out with a bigger audience. Good luck man, sorry to hear about teh po-po. :(
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

The stock STI axleback is a little restrictive, but it will definitely keep you under the radar. That is hillarous that he thought the boxer rumble was b/c of the aftermarket exhaust though. I have a Borla Hush and couldn't be happier. Very quiet around town, flows well, and above 3500RPM, still has a great sound. I do agree that the Magnaflow looks more stock (single tip) than the Hush though. Just more options for ya :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

you can get the borla XR-1. Looks like stock idles a tiny bit louder than stock and its not loud enough that i got a ticket when i had it. Its really deep and is not annyoing or ricey.
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

^^^ Ya, it just wakes his parents up at 2AM :rolllaugh:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

sabre wrote:^^^ Ya, it just wakes his parents up at 2AM :rolllaugh:
AND sets off car alarms lol but that was a fluke, and that alarm was WAY to sensitive.
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

I have been really really pleased with the TXS TBE. It only gets loud when I WANT it to, which is great for me. :)
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
snailpower
I'm a n000b

Post by snailpower »

Cool, thanks for the input guys. I will probably try to go with a little section of an STi exhaust b/c the officer didn't care what it sounded like...He was more concerned with it being "DOT" approved. According to him all mufflers carry a "DOT" stamp of approval :jerkit: . I'm not sure if thats true or not :screwy: . I'm not about to argue with an officer of the law b/c we know where that would lead to. Will I loose a tremendous amount of power by putting on a 2.5" down-pipe back section (for lack of a better term)? If so I will probably install an electric cut out :twisted: for those "special occasions"
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Funny, I'e never seen that, but I haven't really been looking either, lol.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

contact the manufacturer of your exhaust. chances are the exhaust has been certified for "on road" use. now this certification doesn't stop cops from hating on import cars with exhausts, but it will stand up in court. of course you have to take time off to show up for the court date, but there is a chance the cop won't. well, maybe not in a 3 cop town... sounds like the town I'm from. (notice I said FROM?) :roll:
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

If you are worried about sound levels, I have been very happy with my setup. I work in a building that has the Alexandria PD comming an going. Even inside the parking garage I don't get undue looks.

I have headers, bigger turbo, and the TXS turbo back but with a Stromung Dual Tip SS muffler. Even though the STi has a single can, the twin can look goes a long way to looking stock.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I'll second the twin tip look :) The WRX use to come with them, so they just think it's stock, w00t :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
snailpower
I'm a n000b

Post by snailpower »

I like the duel tip as well, but I just got off the phone with a guy who is gonna trade me an STi factory cat back. I know your probably thinking i'm nuts for trading straight up but i'll have no use for it and he is possibly providing a lift to do the swap. If it's too much restriction on the flow, i'll install a cut out. My turbo is only a VF-34, and will be tuned to 17 lbs so hopefully I will not loose too much hp and tq. As far as the whole "DOT" thing....I just talked to another officer in NoVa and he said thats horsesh*t. The law says that anything louder/larger than stock is not street legal in Va, it has nothing to do with a "DOT" stamp.(he's never heard of such a thing).
hotsam
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by hotsam »

My two favorite options:

TurboXS Stealth Back with a muffler of your choice (I use the STi)

-or-

Stromung downpipe with Borla Hush catback.