Introduction to Ice Racing (Autoblog)

Track days? F1? Put it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Introduction to Ice Racing (Autoblog)

Post by Mr Kleen »

Introduction to Ice Racing

"You race on what now?" This is the typical response given when the topic of ice racing comes up. People can't seem to get their head around the idea that you, a sane human being with as strong a survival instinct as the next guy/gal, would drive a car out onto a frozen lake at speeds upwards of 100mph – often sideways. Mention that the racing action is wheel-to-wheel against dozens of competitors at once and you're almost guaranteed to be labeled clinically insane.

Ice racers may be a little special but most are not insane, and if you live in parts of the world that get cold enough, you can join in their fun for a pittance. Ice racing is, dollars to seat time, one of the cheapest forms of motorsport out there. It's also one of the most thrilling and, for those of us who find ourselves driving in frequently inclement conditions, it's even a genuinely useful exercise. Sure, autocrossing is cheap, safe and educational, but where cone-dodging helps you find your car's limits, ice racing teaches you to drive far beyond them, to stay in control (or close to it) when by all rights you should be spinning wildly into a snowbank.

Just like we did last summer with karting, we're going to take you along for the ride and let you get a taste for ice racing. Naturally there will be some changes: instead of a racing suit we'll be investing in a set of thermals, and rather than sticky slicks we'll be budgeting for heavily siped snow tires. It's a whole different ball game, managing slip instead of grip, but the thrills are just as great. And, since you can compete with just about any car, it's open to almost anyone who has a need for speed -- and who doesn't mind spending the day hanging around on a frozen lake.

Introduction to Ice Racing: Part 1
Introduction to Ice Racing: Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Introduction to Ice Racing (Autoblog)

Post by Sabre »

Very cool to read about. I had no idea there were so many forms of it! That Indy looking car is awesome!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
scheherazade
DCAWD Groupie

Post by scheherazade »

my dad told me stories of guys racing tractors across a frozen lake.
although it wasn't at all 'organized'.

-scheherazade
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

scheherazade wrote:my dad told me stories of guys racing tractors across a frozen lake.
although it wasn't at all 'organized'.

-scheherazade

:rolllaugh: :rolllaugh: There's a little bit of 'hoon in all of us. 8)
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

I should send these links to my mom. See if anything's changed in the last 30 years.

--Alan
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Parts 3 and 4 are out, first post updated.