Instrument Panel Bulb

What does this red wire do? Zzzzzt Oops

Moderator: Moderators

WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Instrument Panel Bulb

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Last week I was driving at night, headlights on, dash lights on, and noticed that the little symbol for my fog lights wasn't there.

Pressed the switch to activate the fog lights ... the fog lights came on as well as the indicator light within the switch. But still no regular "symbol" on the switch itself. This leads me to believe that it's not a fuse or anything, but the bulb in the switch itself.

Does anyone have any experience taking these apart / replacing the bulbs? Where do I start? Advance Auto doesn't list a bulb/part for something like this. Perhaps see the dealer's parts department?

--Alan
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Instrument Panel Bulb

Post by thermobox »

You'd prolly have to take the switch apart to find out what lights it or if you can replace it. Only thing I found quick was a switch replacement http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_par ... rtid=15469
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Hmm ... at $25 it's probably more cost-/time-effective just to replace the switch. Thanks!

--Alan
HappyIdiot
DCAWD Groupie

Post by HappyIdiot »

To verify, you are saying the bulb inside the switch is not lighting? I've removed and put the bulbs back in my fog light and cruise control switch before (bulb condoms). It is super simple. Once you have the switch removed, the bulb can be unscrewed with a simple flat head screw driver.
My Name is Adam.
HappyIdiot
DCAWD Groupie

Post by HappyIdiot »

WRXWagon2112 wrote:Hmm ... at $25 it's probably more cost-/time-effective just to replace the switch. Thanks!

--Alan

You can also cruise nasioc for someone doing a part out. I was able to pick up a fog light switch for ten dollars shipped.
My Name is Adam.
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

HappyIdiot wrote:To verify, you are saying the bulb inside the switch is not lighting? I've removed and put the bulbs back in my fog light and cruise control switch before (bulb condoms). It is super simple. Once you have the switch removed, the bulb can be unscrewed with a simple flat head screw driver.
That is exactly what I'm saying. Well, let me clarify - there is a light that comes on (when the parking lights/headlights are turned on) behind the little pictogram of a fog light. It helps you locate the switch in the dark. There is another light that comes on once the fog lights are actually activated - it looks like a green "bar" near the top of the switch. The "activation light" still works, it's just the little pictogram that doesn't light up. It's certainly not a safety issue, but is really bugs me whenever I'm driving at night.

The fix sounds easy enough. Know where would I find a replacement bulb or how much they cost? Then again, I'm wondering if it'd be better to just get a new switch. It's coming up on 8 years old now so I'm expecting an increasing number of little failures like this. Might just get out ahead of it and replace the whole switch?

--Alan
HappyIdiot
DCAWD Groupie

Post by HappyIdiot »

It's just a small bulb. You might be able to find one from radio shack and swap bulbs. I do not know the resistance or voltage though. I will look when I get home and see if I still have that other switch I purchased a while ago. I know I gave one of the bulbs away, but I'll see if it still has the other one.
My Name is Adam.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

I think I may have cannibalized a fog switch for a meth injector switch. I'll look in the Bag 'O Crap when I get home.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Thanks for the help everyone! Don't kill yourself looking - I could just call the dealership and get a new switch easy enough.

--Alan
HappyIdiot
DCAWD Groupie

Post by HappyIdiot »

I hunted around last night, but couldn't find my old switch :cry:
My Name is Adam.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

You accomplished more than I did last night...
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears