coming out of the (scooter) closet

Forum for those interested in one-wheel drive vehicles (motorcycles!). Anything and everything!

Moderator: Moderators

snaab
DCAWD Groupie

coming out of the (scooter) closet

Post by snaab »

That's right, I bought a scooter. :eek: A 2003 Kymco People 150. You heard me, it's called a People! Bought it with 5,000 kilometers on the clock, and I ride it to work every day over the surface streets. It's good for 60mph on a flat road, and about 70 going downhill. It has a giant trunk on the back, so I can carry any variety of objects, as I putter around the city.

Btw, I named it Colin, just to piss him off :poke: :lol:
RJ
'13 Mazda3
Libra Monkee

Re: coming out of the (scooter) closet

Post by Libra Monkee »

[internal conflict]Must... bite... tongue. Too... many... jokes. Quick, think of something else. *imagines Porky Pig raping Elmer Fudd* Ah, that's better.[/internal conflict]

80 MPG? Cool. As far scooters are concerned this one actually isn't half bad. Now, when are you installing the turbo and the N2O tank?
Specs on People:
Engine Type: 4-stroke air-cooled SOHC
Displacement: 152cc
Bore/Stroke: 57.4x57.8mm
Cooling System: Forced Air
Ignition: Electric w/kickstart back up
Gearbox: Automatic CVT
Chassis: Steel
Front Suspension: Telescopic forks
Rear Suspension: Dual shocks
Front Brake: Disc
Rear Brake: Drum
Front Wheel/Tire" 80/80-16
Rear Wheel/Tire: 100/80-16
Seat Height: 31 in.
Wheelbase: 53 in.
Fuel Capacity/MPG: 1.8 gals./ Estimated 84
Weight: 245 lbs.
Available Colors: Black/Ivory, Blue/Ivory, Green/White, Wineberry, Silver

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Hey, if you like it...that is all that matters. A little while ago, I was actually looking at the Honda Silverwing scooters (Goldwing's little brother) which are 582cc engines => LINKY

But I decided if I was going w/ that, I might as well just get a real bike...but I will stick w/ 4 wheels :mrgreen:
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

snaab wrote:That's right, I bought a scooter. :eek: A 2003 Kymco People 150. You heard me, it's called a People! Bought it with 5,000 kilometers on the clock, and I ride it to work every day over the surface streets. It's good for 60mph on a flat road, and about 70 going downhill. It has a giant trunk on the back, so I can carry any variety of objects, as I putter around the city.

Btw, I named it Colin, just to piss him off :poke: :lol:
I admit two things:

I have a completely irrational hatred for scooters. I can't explain it, I just really hate scooters in general. They're just too... magoo.

I award RJ three (3) internets. That was a well executed spike good sir. Noted and filed. :twisted:

:nutkick: :dots: :lol:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Post by snaab »

:lol:
I too am internally conflicted as I sputter down the road. I feel like such a dweeb, but at the same time, it's too much fun to ride. Rides completely differently from a motorcycle, because of the low center of gravity.

For the record, if I weren't able to split lanes (and therefore cut to the front of every stop light), I would be far less gung-ho about scooters. I make a ten mile commute on it, and rev my CVT in the face of those car-bound commuters!
RJ
'13 Mazda3
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

The Japanese seem to make scooters so much more undweebish. They are all over the place, have the right of way in almost all situations, and I kid you not, there are scooter gangs. Two, three in the morning and 50 bleating scooters weaving through traffic, riding up on sidewalks, jumping curbs. Pretty ballsy compared to the normal conservative persona. Cos-play parades not included.

But then again, almost anything looks cooler when passing streets filled with:
and
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Post by snaab »

zaxrex wrote:But then again, almost anything looks cooler when passing streets filled with:
Ooh, hello there, pretty lady...

Just kidding. My taste in cars is not quite that forked up.
RJ
'13 Mazda3
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

That car looks like it belongs in metropolis
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz