Formula 1 Teams Association announces breakaway series

Track days? F1? Put it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Formula 1 Teams Association announces breakaway series

Post by Mr Kleen »

BREAKING: Formula 1 Teams Association announces breakaway series for 2010

wow, didn't think it would come to this. glad I'm not a huge F1 fan.
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Re: Formula 1 Teams Association announces breakaway series

Post by Cereb Daithi »

I don't care if he's to blame or not.... I'm blaming Max Mosley
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Wow, pretty interesting development. I like the way the drivers are handling it!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

It isn't gonna happen.

F1 is already suing over breach of contract, +, +, +, +.

It'll take the teams 18+ months to organize the new series, and even then they're going to end up basing the rules on one of the other series.

Several locations (Monaco for example) have said if Ferrari doesn't roll with F1, F1 isn't invited.

There is pressure on both sides to be reasonable. They'll come to a compromise, probably by the end of next week.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Note:
Many observers have said the teams won't set up another championship because they're too focused on selling cars. But the FOTA has already spoken to Carmelo Ezpeleta, whose Dorna Sports company is in charge of Moto GP, and who has experience in taking control of the series from the FIM. If he can provide a turn-key solution, the teams can stick to doing what they do best.
While I agree that it's probably not going to happen (mostly due to the fact that it's in each party's best interest to stick together), I do think the FOTA have a valid path forward to start their own series. If for some reason an agreement cannot be worked out, then I hope we don't end up with a situation as happened when CART and IRL split.

--Alan
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

New developments : FIA drops lawsuit, wants to talk:
AutoBlog wrote:Take a poll anywhere outside of Max Mosley's or Bernie Ecclestone's motor homes and you'll probably find a preponderance of F1 fans rooting for the Formula One Teams Association. When the FOTA announced a breakaway series for 2010, it took just about 12 hours for the FIA to uncork its laywers. Just two days later, says F1 Live, at the British Grand Prix, Mosley himself said "There won't be any writ. I think we would rather talk than litigate," so everyone could "sit down and iron out the last few difficulties."

After the vitriol in the FIA's lawsuit announcement and the matter of Mosley's rather grand persona, it's hard to believe that this 48-hour about-face is anything other than a frank admission that Formula 1 means little without its marquee teams. Bernie has also chimed in, saying the FOTA can't afford to run a breakaway series, and he can't understand why they'd want to try when he's already arranged everything for them.

Of course, it hasn't helped things that, also during the British GP, Mosley reportedly called the FOTA members "loonies." Nor does it help that the FOTA has already proposed a 17-race calendar for next year -- including Montreal, Indianapolis, Buenos Aires, and Magny Cours, and it has a new name for the series: New Formula. In spite of Mosley's repeated assurances that a deal is close, it can't be a good omen that the FOTA has said they are nowhere close to a deal. Indeed, it may be possible that the FIA might be obligated to oversee the new series. The next six weeks will be some of the biggest the sport has ever seen.
--Alan
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

poor Max and Bernie: they have millions (billions?) but it will all mean nothing if they can't run the lives of every citizen of their F1 empire. I hope it all works out, for their sake... :rolllaugh:
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

BREAKING: Max Mosley forced out - F1 to continue on next season. No break-away series after all...
AutoBlog wrote:After all of this year's soap opera stories in Formula One, it appears there will be a unified championship series next year after all. According to The Times UK, controversial F1 boss Max Mosley has been "forced into a humiliating climbdown as president of the FIA," and his reign is over effective today.

Apparently, with the Formula One Teams Association's (FOTA) plan to build its own breakaway series and take most of its highest-profile (and highest-dollar) draws away with it, the FIA realized that something had to be done. Eight teams, including Ferrari, McLaren, BMW Sauber, and Brawn GP had pulled out of the series over concerns relating to a new £40m budget cap (around $66m USD).

With Mosley's departure effective immediately, F1 teams and the sanctioning body have agreed to cost cuts with the goal of getting spending outlays back down to the that of the early Nineties within two years.

Mosley has agreed to end his 16 year term at the FIA and not seek re-election to another office.
--Alan
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

WRXWagon2112 wrote:Mosley has agreed to end his 16 year term at the FIA and not seek re-election to another office.
Now that brings tears of joy to my eyes!!!!!!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Max look on the bright side: think of all the swell parties you'll have time for now.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Thank god, I think the managed to save the sport. And hopefully with a new leader that listens to the teams better we can clean up some of the messy technical rules and let the teams develop and race.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Jason "El Zorro" Fox
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member