So I went and did something a little stupid...

2.0, 2.5, NA, FI, it's all good in here

Moderator: Moderators

complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

So I went and did something a little stupid...

Post by complacent »

...and got a front mount. Pics can be found here. I think I'm going to put together a tutorial shortly, as nobody seems to know anything about this fmic. Overall I'm very pleased.

Compliments and constructive criticism are welcomed, flames | /dev/null.

http://home.earthlink.net/~complacent/fmic/

cheers,
colin.

8O
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

damn that was quick. you were talkin about it at the meet, but damn. looks good
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

I never seem to add parts until after I have some wild bug up the @55 to do so, but man, once I do.... I'm all over it like stank on a monkey. :lol:
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

hmm, front mount... yummy...
Very nice :) Congrats! Notice any more lag? WI + FMIC is a dream I have :)
Can't wait to see it!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

ZERO added lag. Period. That's a big part of why I chose the Injen over the other kits out there. It's nothing short of amazing. I love the way it feels now. I've been running around on my "low boost" map, and I swear it feels like I'm on my "high boost" map. I can't wait until I get some WI going on... :twisted:

colin
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Looks good! You know, if you plan ahead some folks would be happy to come by and help out. :)
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Well, I knew it was only a matter of time. I think I will have to give up on playing the "Catch-up with Colin Game!" Up to this point it was always close, but no longer, I now must bow to your prowess.

You certainly did your homework and it looks really sweet. It also looks like a tube and fin design, is that correct? How big a core is it? Does this mean another trip up to TurboXS for a dyno-tune? If so, I may join you since my aquisition of a UTEC. Or are you going to wait until you install the water injection?

Speaking of water injection. . . next meet we need to corner Zak and talk about our possible setups in-depth. I'm sure the stock fuel pump will work, but my concern is more about modulating the flow at high RPMs. I'm wondering if we can get a pressure regulator and wire the pump in such a way as to match the fuel output.

darrin
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Thanks for all the support guys, I really appreciate it.

Jas: I know, I know... I didn't know I was going to have it in my hands until about an hour before. And I was ordered to take the day off anyway, so I figured what the h e double hockey sticks... But next cool project (BBK, or WI) I will try to be a little less "by the seat of my pants" and try and work it around a dcawd install party.

Dar: I've got the bug sooo bad man, it's not even funny. At this rate I'm going to spend as much as a frigging STi... The core measures 26.5 x 7 x 3 or so. Yes it is tube and fin, but I didn't want a huge core, and I didn't want 500rpm of lag added either. YES, I do want to go back to TXS for another tune (Or Phil for that matter) but I'm either going to wait until spring, or until after I get WI. Oh well, it's been fun to play with at least. I can't wait to see what I do next. :twisted: But yes, we DO need to chase Zak into a corner and either bribe or beat all his WI knowledge outta him. I'm dying to run some better advance, and a little more knock resistance, or a 87 octane map would be nice as well. VERY VERY high on my priority list. Unless I come across a nice BBK for cheap. And I figure it's a matter of time before my tranny goes. And don't forget if I pop my motor with all this boost, I'll HAVE to pick up an STi shortblock.... God this really is a disease... I need serious help.

colin.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Hey, I know that itch. I'm not saying work around us, I'm saying use us. :)
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Heya

Post by zaxrex »

Alright kiddies,
'Nuff about talking to me behind hour back. No wait...how's it supposed to go again? :P

It just so happens that I picked up a slightly used Aquamist 1s kit off nasioc and it showed up Thursday. I'm thinking of having jet one and pump one go off at low boost, then another with two jets plumbed up. The pump and jet two will come on at higher boost and then I want to use the solenoid trigger from the utec to pop open the third jet on higher rpms. But that is a ways down the line right now.

In the meantime, I also have 15 gal of methanol in the storage locker. Plus a few 'extra' stock ICs. Instead of me talking about it, we can turn Darrins car into a display bed. Or not.

Should I bring some goodies Monday and we can discuss?

P.S. Collin, you are forcing me to put that block in. :twisted: nice pipes!
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Yes, yes YES!!! You should bring goodies. I'm absolutely chomping at the bit to get some water injection going on... It just seems like such a problem solver, and a strong margin of safety to boot. I'm on a quest to blow my tranny into little ugly pieces, and I NEED YOUR HELP. Hahaha, I do want to see your new toys. I was looking at a 1s kit myself, do you think that will suffice? Or do i really need to spend that much more on an upgraded kit? See ya Monday night.

I can't wait to ride in teh new hawtness, with teh new block. I want one myself, but I fear I'm going to have to get RA's first...
colin :twisted:
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Ok then, see y'all monday.

If all you are looking for is to get some larger knock buffer and the ability to bump up the timing, the 1s will be fine.

But for getting every last bit out of all rpm ranges, you have to modulate the flowrate of the water. So far, that costs a good chunk of change.

The cheapest solution that I have ssen so far is to use an EBC and get the utec software version that lets you use the boost control solinoid map to run a high speed valve.

If you keep the shifts smooth and roll on the skinny stick slowly, the trans will last a good bit..
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
ButtDyno
I walk to work

Re: So I went and did something a little stupid...

Post by ButtDyno »

bluscooby23 wrote:flames | /dev/null.
flames > /dev/null

cmon now..

:lol:
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

*groans*
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Gees guys...
cp /dev/null flames
cat flames > /dev/null

My personal favorite...
tail -f flames > /dev/null &
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

How about:

Code: Select all

cout << "Sabre is an uber geek!\n";
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

elzorro wrote:How about:

Code: Select all

cout << "Sabre is an uber geek!\n";
And there was some debating this?!?!?! ;)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

one stinking modifier off in the midst of a drunken post.... and look at all that has followed. kinda funneh. how did I know someone would bring up tail and the like...