Hey, how's the DC Crew..? Just some updates on mine

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

Idaho
I walk to work

Hey, how's the DC Crew..? Just some updates on mine

Post by Idaho »

Well, just pulled the trigger on a TD06 7cm 18G with a PnP and only 15000 miles. Found a killer deal and figured it would be a fun upgrade!

Also... some big changes happening in about 3 weeks. Going to be swapping the front end out for an 02 bugeye front! Always had a special place in my heart for those front ends. Plus, be able to have the option of a nice lip or two now along with some projector headlights.

Hanging out in Huntsville, AL doing some training for the army, not too fun. But the suby guys here are pretty cool. Here are some photos from a the first weekend I was here hanging out with them.

<----- Seriously..... wow I hate my state sometimes.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Re: Hey, how's the DC Crew..? Just some updates on mine

Post by sirwilliam »

Lookin' good! Nice pics!

I bet those wheels are a real PITA to keep clean, though.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I wish my car was half as clean :rolllaugh:
Idaho
I walk to work

Post by Idaho »

Yeah... ceramic pads + white wheels = bad.

Edit to original post I just noticed. Turbo I just bought has only 1500 miles not 15k :mrgreen:
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Do you have brembos in the rear as well or an H6 upgrade to balance out or is it just stock?

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
Idaho
I walk to work

Post by Idaho »

No, just the damn stock setup with stainless lines all the way around now. I did get some Hawk HPS pads for back there though. I have some old school legacy GT rotors which I got from the dealership to put back there. Same size, just vented for a bit better performance. Unfortunately I had the luxury of finding out that the rotor is actually barely too thick for the stock bracket.... So I have to get me a new bracket off some legacy or what not from a junkyard to get that setup going. Should be decent once I get that going.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Idaho wrote:No, just the damn stock setup with stainless lines all the way around now. I did get some Hawk HPS pads for back there though. I have some old school legacy GT rotors which I got from the dealership to put back there. Same size, just vented for a bit better performance. Unfortunately I had the luxury of finding out that the rotor is actually barely too thick for the stock bracket.... So I have to get me a new bracket off some legacy or what not from a junkyard to get that setup going. Should be decent once I get that going.
yeah, so that will be the Legacy (aka H6) setup after you get the bracket...that will give better balance...definitely help reduce your front nose diving upon braking. I can't wait to throw on my brembos...not looking forward to installing the larger brake cylinder, though.

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

if you have upgraded the front calipers (4 pot or Brembo) don't bother with the rear H6 conversion.

I did the H6 upgrade after installing front 4 pot calipers. after attending the autocross class I can say that the H6 rears won't balance out a front caliper upgrade. there's a reason Subaru installs 2 pot rears with the 4 pot fronts. this year I plan on upgrading to the rear 2 pots.
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

Whats going on man? I just moved to Fort Bragg. I've got an 06-07 front end up for trade. Loooking for turbo/IC/etc.
http://forums.dcawd.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7548
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
Idaho
I walk to work

Post by Idaho »

Meh, for not auto-x'ing I don't mind having a bit of a nose dive with harder braking being it's straight line.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Overpowered front brakes can actually increase your stopping distances. a lot of the science behind building a good brake system is counter intuitive. Grassroots Motorsports and Car and Driver both ran articles about upgrading brakes in the past couple years.

good brakes aren't just for auto crossing. If you're trying to avoid an accident you might need to steer and brake at the same time... :wink:
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Idaho wrote:Well, just pulled the trigger on a TD06 7cm 18G with a PnP and only 15000 miles. Found a killer deal and figured it would be a fun upgrade!
A rather interesting turbo pick. I can see getting a TD05 18G (7cm or 8cm) but a TD06? That will spool pretty slow and the 40lb 18G wheel isn't great at the top-end, unlike the 44lb 20G. If you have some time before you install, I'd say have a 20G wheel installed or swap the TD06 for a TD05. Here's the problem: On the 2 liter the TD06 won't reach full spool until around 4,500 RPMs which leaves you just 2,500 RPMs to enjoy the rush. You will likely get similar power output as my TD05 (8cm) 18G but at the expense of lower torque and slower response. Not trying to dump on your choice, especially if you got a deal, however, there is probably a good reason you don't see too many folks running those turbos on 2 liter WRXs.
Idaho wrote:Going to be swapping the front end out for an 02 bugeye front! Always had a special place in my heart for those front ends. Plus, be able to have the option of a nice lip or two now along with some projector headlights.
Really? that seems like such an odd thing to do. Your going to swap fenders, hood, scoop, bumper, lights and grille to look like a bug eye? Don't get me wrong, I love my bug eye, but I that seems like a big investment for a regressive look.
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

Darren thats why he should go with an 06 front end..... 8)
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Mr Kleen wrote:Overpowered front brakes can actually increase your stopping distances. a lot of the science behind building a good brake system is counter intuitive. Grassroots Motorsports and Car and Driver both ran articles about upgrading brakes in the past couple years.
There is some benefit to bigger front calipers and rotors. The initial bite and hold on larger brakes (such as Brembos) is noticeably better than on the stocks. If your trying to scrub 30-40 mph in a hurry the fronts do most of the braking (close to 85%). The larger fronts will make a big difference in that case. The problem lies in balance. In a straight line the larger will be better with all other things being equal (rotor thickness, venting, same pad material and wear, etc.) However, the difficulty comes from trying to balance front to rear bias, weight transfer as well as traction to the drive wheels. On a FWD car the fronts are pretty much all that matter. The rears can help keep the rear planted but by and large they are not doing a great deal to help "stop" or "steer" the car. A RWD it is far more tricky. An overly biased front braking system can cause a RWD car to become very tail happy in any braking situation as the weight transfers from rear to front. Add steering into the mix and it gets even more complicated. AWD cars are a mixed bag and there are very few hard and fast rules that will apply to all makes and models. The WRX is an interesting case in point, the Brembo package on the STI is significantly larger than on the 02-05 WRX. The front Brembos are 326x30 vs the WRX 294x24 (over 10% larger and 25% thicker) the rears are 316x20 vs. 266x10 (nearly 20% larger and twice as thick). Draw what conclusions you like. The STi may be more rear biased based on it's dif, and perhaps the larger rears help balance that.

In a write up some years ago in Sport Compact Car when just a set of front Brembos were thrown on a 02 WRX against a 04 STi the braking distances were remarkably similar, and neither had issues with fade. They actually used the same wheels and tires to keep everything equal.

The Car & Driver test only did front brake kits (2 Brembo, Stop tech, Prodrive and Hawk HP Plus pads) They all showed improvement over stock with the bigger kits having less fade. The Hawk pads were an impressive upgrade for $130.

I haven't read any specific brake tests that Grassroots Motorsports did on the WRX. But I'd be very wary of applying a test of one car directly to another, especially if they are different drive set-ups. Even a STi to WRX comparison may not be directly applicable.

I am also reminded of the article I read back when the 06 WRX came out with the 4 pot / 2 pot set-up and one author thought that the new brake set-up may be nearly as good as the STi Brembos. Some months later he did a test by swapping the stock pads to a better grade (Axxis Ultimates IIRC) added some sticky UHP tires and ran it against a stock STi. The results were surprising. From 40-0 the WRX stopped shorter, from 60-0 they were even and at 80-0 the Brembos stopped slightly shorter. The author believed he had vindicated his claim and stated that he saw no reason to upgrade the stock WRX set-up to the Brembos.

At some point I will also grab a set of subaru 2 pot rears.
Idaho
I walk to work

Post by Idaho »

Yes, price was a large factor in choosing the particular turbo.

600 shipped for that turbo which has already had a port and polish with only 1500 miles just seemed too good to pass up really.

Unfortunately with the TD06 choice at the time of purchase I didn't have many resources to get a second opinion on the matter. Nasioc is always there, but that place is a cluster crap of opposing opinions that often blocks out much of any useful information.

As for the front end, surprisingly a sedan guy wants to swap. So I'll get flared fenders which is what I was after anyways...

I've found a few threads on doing the swap, basically just stripping everything down, drill out the spot welds with a spot weld bit, swap cores, swap headlight connectors, and the re-attach all.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Idaho wrote:Yes, price was a large factor in choosing the particular turbo.

600 shipped for that turbo which has already had a port and polish with only 1500 miles just seemed too good to pass up really.

Unfortunately with the TD06 choice at the time of purchase I didn't have many resources to get a second opinion on the matter. Nasioc is always there, but that place is a cluster crap of opposing opinions that often blocks out much of any useful information.

As for the front end, surprisingly a sedan guy wants to swap. So I'll get flared fenders which is what I was after anyways...

I've found a few threads on doing the swap, basically just stripping everything down, drill out the spot welds with a spot weld bit, swap cores, swap headlight connectors, and the re-attach all.
I hear you, price was the reason I picked up my TD05-18G 7cm as well :wink: Are you certain yours isn't just a TD05 compressor wheel in a TD06 housing? I know they do those for cheap...but some say you get a little better power out of the larger housing but still get the quick spool of the 05 wheel. Any pics?

Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

Sounds good man. I ended up with the parts and was pretty tempted to just paint the front bumper and have me some sedan fender awesomeness. But have decided to leave the exterior the way it is and concentrate on some power. Didn't you have an 16G or something like that?
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
Idaho
I walk to work

Post by Idaho »

Yes, this turbo will be replacing a Momentum Turbos 40T which is the equivalent of a big 16G. While having the downpipe off to replace the clutch, I noticed there was some front to back play in the turbo. Just figured i'd rather replace the turbo prior to it taking a dump on me at the most inconvenient of times.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

The TD05-18G is a great bang for the buck turbo. I suspect the TD06-18G will perform even better.
Gruppe-S and FP are still selling them for $699. It is currently, and still would be, my turbo of choice for most street applications.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Glad to hear from you man! Cars looking nice!
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.