A Taste of the Atlanta Car Scene

Meets/events for other car clubs in the area

Moderator: Moderators

ThaABomb
I'm a n000b

A Taste of the Atlanta Car Scene

Post by ThaABomb »

These are pics from a couple of shoots I went on recently. The first set is from an event organized by this guy who owns a GT-R. He got a few other GT-R owners to show up and posted the event on several local forums as well. The Subaru guys (WRXAtlanta.com) definitely had the biggest showing, but there were several S2K's there as well. It was (supposed to be) a rolling photoshoot, so the S2K's were all camera cars. I drove my car (1998 Acura RL) and my buddy rode along with me and got rolling shots. Let me just say that cruising down the highway next to a line of GT-R's was I N C R E D I B L E!!! I was also lucky enough to lead the whole caravan of cars out of the restaurant parking lot that we met at. I dunno how that happened, and I very quickly got passed by the GT-R's, but it was awesome while it lasted.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ThaABomb/Ro ... directlink

The second set is from a monthly car meet at this restaurant called "The Varsity" right next to Georgia Tech's campus. The food is terrible, but there are usually some pretty cool cars that show up. At this particular Varsity meet, I got to sit in a 370Z and rev it up. Apparently, Nissan's marketing department sent out some people with the 370Z and the new Cube. Also, one of my friends decided to show up in his home-built Lotus 7 replica. He welded the chassis together by himself and then swapped in the engine and drive train from an old Celica. The best part is that it's fully street legal and is registered with the DMV as a Lotus 7 replica, which qualifies it as an antique, so it doesn't need to pass emissions.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ThaABomb/Va ... directlink
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: A Taste of the Atlanta Car Scene

Post by thermobox »

i wet myself. :dropgob:
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Nice info dude, I always knew the ATL was a fun place. Thanks for the pics and write-up.

Who knows, I might be sown that ways soon and can see things in person.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
ThaABomb
I'm a n000b

Post by ThaABomb »

Yea, Atlanta's pretty cool, and I think the car scene is definitely more lively here than in DC (that's been my experience anyway). There are several big car forums in the area and a good number of tuning shops. I don't wanna give the impression that there are GT-R's on every corner or a photoshoot every weekend, I've just been really lucky lately I guess. The Varsity Meet happens every month though, and occasionally you'll see some really rare cars like 4th gen Supras, FD RX-7's, S15 Silvia's, Skylines and I even saw a Gallardo there once.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

That is one impressive collection of GTRs!

Very cool pics indeed!! :dropgob:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
The Gray Ghost
I walk to work

Post by The Gray Ghost »

I used to live in Kennesaw,GA. from 2000-2007 and I remember that there were a ton of meets...especially The Varsity meets near GT and the NorthPoint Mall meets in Alpharetta that were pretty cool. I miss it down there...people down there can do a ton of mods without having to be concerned about cops...great pics...you probably know WRX Atlanta also and Import Atlanta.

Mark :D
2010 GGM LGT Premium
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I got a soft spot for the old Datsuns :mrgreen:

DC has a lot of tuners but doesn't have quite the "scene" that Hotlanta does. but don't forget that the Fast and Furious movies were based on an article about the DC street racing scene. :wink:

and i think i speak for several people when i say MORE SHOTS OF THE 7! 8)
ThaABomb
I'm a n000b

Post by ThaABomb »

Mr Kleen wrote:I got a soft spot for the old Datsuns :mrgreen:

DC has a lot of tuners but doesn't have quite the "scene" that Hotlanta does. but don't forget that the Fast and Furious movies were based on an article about the DC street racing scene. :wink:

and i think i speak for several people when i say MORE SHOTS OF THE 7! 8)
Yea, that Z30 body style is SEXY!

I didn't know the F&F movies were based on DC stuff. That's pretty cool. I didn't know there were that many tuners in the DC area. Most of what I see when I'm home are family sedans or SUV's with the occasional Corvette, Mustang or Z, but maybe I've just been hanging out in the wrong places. I tried to find a good car forum in DC but didn't have any luck, so I just gave up until I happened to see the DCAWD sticker. I'd like to see the DC scene become bigger and more active, and if there are already plenty of tuners in the area, I guess all it really takes is organizing meets and spreading the word.

I have a few more shots of the 7 in it's earlier stages in this album:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ThaABomb/WreckRacing#
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

wikipedia entry for FnF movies I actually read the article before I saw the movie and didn't know till later that the movie was "based" on the article. but then again I am old-skool (emphasis on the old). :lol:

there are lots of expensive sedans here in DC, lobbyists have to look the part after all, but I did spot a red gallardo in the woodley park area last night. :drool:
ThaABomb
I'm a n000b

Post by ThaABomb »

Yea, there's a dark grey Gallardo at a house on Connecticut just past Chevy Chase Circle. It's always parked with the back end hanging out almost to the street. We need to get those guys to come out to some meets! 8)
The Gray Ghost
I walk to work

Post by The Gray Ghost »

ThaABomb wrote:Yea, there's a dark grey Gallardo at a house on Connecticut just past Chevy Chase Circle. It's always parked with the back end hanging out almost to the street. We need to get those guys to come out to some meets! 8)
So, are you from Atlanta or DC?. I know when I lived down there it was nothing but New Yorkers and New Jersey folks...LOL..I was amazed how big the subaru scene was down there, plus you have some great shops like Batlground and TopSpeed...I really miss the Varsity meets except when the bikers did all the burnouts and when people started getting stupid...LOL...overall it was a great meet with some killer cars. Do you remembr when people cruised Barrett Parkway?. I uied to live off of BP in Kennesaw and it was pretty funny at times....Are the cops still patroling the parking lots at Varsity real closely...when I left in 07, they were also starting to charge 5 dollars for parking.

Mark :)
2010 GGM LGT Premium
ThaABomb
I'm a n000b

Post by ThaABomb »

I'm from DC but I'm a student at GT. The Gallardo I was talking about is in DC, so I guess when I said "we" should get them to come to meets, I really meant "you guys" should get them to come to meets (in DC).

The cops still have a pretty heavy presence at the Varsity meets. Over the summer they actually arrested somebody at the meet. The Varsity people get stingy about parking sometimes too and every so often they'll put a boot on someone's car if they didn't pay for parking. The meet brings them a lot of business though, so I think they might've stopped caring about parking as much.
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

I've always liked the sound of the VQ35 motors at idle. How do the GTR's sound? Or, rather, the motors don't sound sissified (the VQ's) in general. Do you have any video? Gosh, esp in the tunnel?
rocket scientist
ThaABomb
I'm a n000b

Post by ThaABomb »

None of the GT-R guys were real heavy on the throttle and they all had stock exhausts so I didn't get a good feel for what the exhaust sounded like. Then again, I'm used to aftermarket Subaru exhausts (Best. Exhaust note. Ever.) which tend to be pretty loud, so maybe I'm just insensitive to anything quieter than that.