#3 _least_ stolen vehicle...

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

#3 _least_ stolen vehicle...

Post by ElZorro »

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/09/top- ... s-in-2008/
Yesterday we showed you the Top Ten Most Stolen Vehicles in 2008 based on thefts per number of insured models. While many of you pointed out that these were, in fact, not the most stolen vehicles overall, most of you agreed that they weren't worth risking time in the clink over, either. Even the most stolen vehicles overall like the Honda Civic, Accord and Toyota Camry don't really seem worth the trouble unless you run a chop-shop. So what can you do to keep your daily commuter parked safe and sound in the driveway? Perhaps drive one of these.

Again using new data from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and Highway Loss Data Institute, we've assembled a new list of the Top Ten Least Stolen Vehicles in 2008. Not all of them are undesirable, some just have very good protective devices. Others are just so popular that their owners don't let them out of their sight. We make no promises about whether or not your particular car will be stolen, but we do know that the IIHS says these vehicles generate the fewest insurance-claim reports related to theft. As before, the figures are reported in number of claims filed for every 1,000 vehicles insured each year, and this most recent report covers vehicles made and sold between 2005 and 2007. So follow the banner to find out what the least stolen cars of 2008 are.
#3 is...

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/top-ten- ... 8/1213027/

The Subaru Forester!
Claim frequency: 0.6 (per 1,000 for each insured vehicle year) Average loss payment per claim: $4,228
The #1 most stolen vehicle, Cadillac Escalade ESV:
Claim frequency: 15.0 (per 1,000 insured vehicle years) | Average loss payment per claim: $13,060
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: #3 _least_ stolen vehicle...

Post by drwrx »

Yep, Makes me feel better about my Forester every day!
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

I had a lawl.

From the MOST stolen cars list:
Hugh G (12/08/08 @ 08:20PM)

Anybody notice there are a lot of vehicles in this list that the blacks like? And don't get mad... I am black myself.

chad.dawkins (12/08/08 @ 09:56PM)

You're black and call your race, "the blacks"?
/derail

I wonder how they came up with the data for this LEAST stolen list though. Did people call in "No, my car hadn't been stolen yet. I guess the thieves don't want my Prius."

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

the Cadillac Escalade ESV wasn't the most stolen vehicle over all, just the most stolen new vehicle. the #1 over all winner/looser was the 1998 Honda civic IIRC. we had this discussion in the office yesterday...

the "least stolen" numbers are generated by comparing the number of vehicles reported stolen with the number sold.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

The article says the data came from the insurance industry, they only look at cars produced between '05 and '07, they are reported thefts, and they are normalized to / 1000 insured. So yea, morer 1998 Civics may have been stolen last year, but there are also a ton on the road (apparently being driven by someone other than the original owner)
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

First, they didn't say "not stolen" but "least stolen".

Second, this would require every car that is compared to have been stolen (and reported stolen) at least once (while of course being insured).

Third, they then compare the data and find the least amount reported stolen.

That is my guess as to how they utilize the data. This does not take into account the number of stolen uninsured vehicles (but we don't really care about those, right? :wink: )
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer