Damn, it be starting to be chilly!

Forum for those interested in one-wheel drive vehicles (motorcycles!). Anything and everything!

Moderator: Moderators

complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Damn, it be starting to be chilly!

Post by complacent »

This was the first morning in a while that I dug into my "cold riding gear" drawers.

Anyone else a little chilly on the ride in to work today?

RJ - You SO don't count on this one... :rolllaugh:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Libra Monkee

Re: Damn, it be starting to be chilly!

Post by Libra Monkee »

I drove in today because I couldn't find my thermal gear. Grrr...

But I've been looking into heated gear. Stuff's not cheap though. I could easily spend $300 on a jacket and gloves alone. This doesn't include the pants which seem to be harder to find. The ONE pair I located was on sale for $126.

I'll probably end up just stopping every so often so I can pull over and jog in place to build up some heat.

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

FWIW, I've had great luck with snowboard/ski pants for really cold temps. Not waterproof, but they sure are cozy!

This morning I wore my rain pants. They were enough of a windbreaker to keep me toasty warm.
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

I started wearing a scarf. I just tuck it into the jacket, so it doesn't look all red-baron or snoopy-like. (plus, who wants shit flapping around them on the bike?) Still getting kinda cold up on the back of my neck behind my ears and just in front of the chin strap. Might need to get a balaclava, but I've been told to be very careful wearing a balaclava to the office. Maybe if they came in marpat or something.

Other than that, I'm still in the shitty Icon gloves (KD is replacing them with the Dainese Stratoshort's, but they're going to take a few weeks to deliver). I'll probably get a silk liner for the meantime or just spring for the $100 revit gloves they have at Coleman's. Also still just wearing the JR mesh jacket, without the vinyl insert. The vinyl in the textile jacket is like a damn sauna, and it gets all wadded and bunched and stuff (difference between a $200 and a $600 jacket, really), so it's more pain than it's worth. But, useful on rainy days.

Wore my Cortech denim today, so a little heavier than the normal denim, and it's got cowhide and cordura on the inside (and ce foam), but it's not that much warmer than my normal jeans. Wore the 511's yesterday, and those were surprisingly wind-resistant, and thus warmer than expected (thinking about getting some knee armor for them, but eh). And with the Sidi boots (oh I lub them, they are so comfy and i lub them lub them lub them), the cold doesn't bother my feet.

I honestly don't see a need for any much warmer gear than I've got for this winter. Sandy's saving for a new bike (and needs boots, she's still riding in sneakers), so we can't drop a kilobuck on gear anyways. I might get heated grips next winter (probably not). I might get a better jacket next year (in fact, I really want to), but I'm torn because I want a nice jacket, but usually they are either sunny or cold weather jackets, not both (unless you spend a lot and are okay with synthetics... I'd kinda like leather).

But, Colin, you and I both have really short commutes. I get up to freeway speeds on 110 for all two miles of it, and then I'm practically in the office. I park underground, so I don't even have to worry about the choke. The bike is mostly warm by the time I get it up the ramp. It's a different story for Chuckles. Or are you going down to Belvoir? It's prolly pretty cold on GW down on the Potomac in the morning. And the bugs. Ick.

Kinda wish I had something with panniers or saddlebags or a tankbag or something so I could reduce the Subaru quotient in my life even further. Even out on the bike, in the cold, I'm happier than I am in the car. :|
rocket scientist
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

How about those cool suits for car racing? Instead of using ice, dump some hot water in there.
You could go real nuts and wrap some copper tubing around the exhaust...Just a thought.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

zaxrex wrote:How about those cool suits for car racing? Instead of using ice, dump some hot water in there.
You could go real nuts and wrap some copper tubing around the exhaust...Just a thought.
bmw owners have suits that resemble drysuits (re: wetsuits, for diving) that plug in to their bikes.
rocket scientist
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

zaxrex wrote:How about those cool suits for car racing? Instead of using ice, dump some hot water in there.
Aaaand our resident mad scientist comes through with another brilliant idea that we would have never thought of on our own.

No, seriously. That's a compliment. Using the exhaust (and/or it's piping) to conduct heat to the rider. I likes it!

It reminds me of the Muffpot Food Cooker (hold the snickering, it's legit) found here I've actually been interesting in getting one for longer rides 8)
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

complacent wrote:Using the exhaust (and/or it's piping) to conduct heat to the rider. I likes it!
Officer, I know I was going thirty over, but my muffpot is broken and I was really cold! I had to go that fast to retain feeling in my arms! It was for safety's sake officer!
rocket scientist
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Down to Belvior? Nooooo no no no. My commute is fairly short though. Basically I'm going from the Springfield metro to the Braddock metro. Why don't I take the Metro? Because it's the Metro.

I do have snow gear that might do the trick. It's a little flashy but maybe that means people will see me better. I am going to need some different boots though. The cold and rain go RIGHT through the ones I have now. Also I'll need some heated grips, possibly a warmer jacket, and some gloves to protect he backs of my hands. Ugh... time to fire up the ol' credit card.

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

avriette wrote: Officer, I know I was going thirty over, but my muffpot is broken and I was really cold! I had to go that fast to retain feeling in my arms! It was for safety's sake officer!
I realized I can reach down with my throttle hand and hold on to the tailpipe today. Waaaaaaarm.
rocket scientist
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Had to scrape frost off the FXT this morning.
I start her up, what does the temp say?
34 degrees!
34!
As in 2 degrees above freezing!
It is too early for it to be this cold!
What the hell happened to global warming!
Do I need to break out the aerosol cans again?
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

Shopping for balaclavas. Anyone have a suggestion? I'm leaning between polyester and merino wool. The poly/spandex ones can be microban treated, whereas I like the feel of Merino a lot more. My concern is clearance inside the helmet and rider comfort. Also getting the RevIt! gloves to replace these godawful Icon's.

edit: been wearing a scarf wrapped around my face/neck, but it impairs my ability to turn my head to check 5, 6, 7 oclock, and it doesn't "stay in place" like I want it to.
rocket scientist
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Post by snaab »

:rolllaugh: :rolllaugh: :rolllaugh:

As soon as I saw this thread, my eyes bugged out as frantically clicked it to bring some California sunshine. It was over 80 the past few days, so I went to the beach on Tuesday after school to study for some tests. In all honesty though, it's getting a tit-bit nipply in the mornings, so without a leather jacket, I choose the car in favor of the bike.
RJ
'13 Mazda3
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

avriette wrote:Shopping for balaclavas. Anyone have a suggestion? I'm leaning between polyester and merino wool. The poly/spandex ones can be microban treated, whereas I like the feel of Merino a lot more. My concern is clearance inside the helmet and rider comfort. Also getting the RevIt! gloves to replace these godawful Icon's.

edit: been wearing a scarf wrapped around my face/neck, but it impairs my ability to turn my head to check 5, 6, 7 oclock, and it doesn't "stay in place" like I want it to.
I'm for poly/span, but just because of clearance in the helmet.

I've also used with great success the neck warmers like this.
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

complacent wrote:I've also used with great success the neck warmers like this.
i have lots of air running up behind my ears. does this help?
rocket scientist
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

I wear something not too different from this. It helps lot and I don't need a new helmet to wear it.

RJ: Grrrrrr.......

avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

Libra Monkee wrote:I wear something not too different from this. It helps lot and I don't need a new helmet to wear it.

RJ: Grrrrrr.......
Colemans has some of these things, but the prices online are ridiculously cheap by comparison. I think it's time to pick one up. They've even got them with microban.
rocket scientist