Turbo for WRX

2.0, 2.5, NA, FI, it's all good in here

Moderator: Moderators

02SilverWRX
Unicycle

Turbo for WRX

Post by 02SilverWRX »

Okay so I finally have recovered slightly from the dent my engine made in my wallet. So now what i am wondering is, do i go with an 18g or with a 20g, what are the ups and downs of either, what do i need to do before installing either of these larger turbos, and what is the cheapest price i can get it all done for? Thanks!
2004 335 AWHP WRB WRX Stage 4
2005 525 AWHP AW STi
02SilverWRX
Unicycle

Re: Turbo for WRX

Post by 02SilverWRX »

Oh by the way, I already have somebody helping me put it in who works for subaru so that is not a problem i just need to know what all needs to be put in at the same time and what it would probably cost!
2005 525 AWHP AW STi
wrxSIN
Bicycle

Post by wrxSIN »

injectors, fuel pump, boost controller, tune, full exhaust, topmount or front mount, intake, and i think thats pretty much everything you need, except the turbo of course.

You also said something about an engine? if its a 2.5l youre in luck, but a 2.0l = mega lag
Last edited by wrxSIN on Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ilike2startnewthreads

Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

For an 02, if you want something quick spooling an 18G with a 7cm housing would work beautifully. Doesn't feel must different than stock. 20g will offer you more hp but at the cost of some lag.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I just did a 16g swap. there is a little lag now but a lot more power. being a street driven car I'm not sure that the swap was worth it, it was already fast at stage 2. but I guess I'm in the minority with that opinion around here. :lol:

things you will absolutely need:
Turbo
Injectors (PITA)
Fuel Pump (easy install, if you don't mind smelling like gas for 2 days)
DP
EM (with the right EM you won't need a boost controller)
oil/filter change
coolant (to refill what you spill during the swap)

things that would be nice:
UP
full TBE (3")
Turbo Inlet (PITA)
Intake (I recommend the K&N typhoon)
larger TMIC or FMIC (TMIC has less lag; FMIC is for track use or if you like the look)
professional dyno tune
02SilverWRX
Unicycle

Post by 02SilverWRX »

Okay so I really dont want to pay more than $500 for the turbo alone, the other pieces i am not worried about i can get them from a friend but i am trying to stay $500 or under for the turbo... if necessary i will go higher but for now just browsing that price range... so with that said:

Anybody have any opinions about this turbo? never seen it before just came across it and was wondering... would my 2.0 be able to handle this turbo? what all would be needed and is this in fact even a good turbo?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-SPOR ... 0272117519
2005 525 AWHP AW STi
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

02SilverWRX wrote:Okay so I really dont want to pay more than $500 for the turbo alone, the other pieces i am not worried about i can get them from a friend but i am trying to stay $500 or under for the turbo... if necessary i will go higher but for now just browsing that price range... so with that said:

Anybody have any opinions about this turbo? never seen it before just came across it and was wondering... would my 2.0 be able to handle this turbo? what all would be needed and is this in fact even a good turbo?

To be perfectly blunt, NO.

If you're worried about only spending 500 on the turbo, get a VF39 or VF43 off of an STi, period. The only other options in your price range would be a used 16G, VF30 or VF34.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
snoopusmc
I'm a n000b

Post by snoopusmc »

I have a VF22 if your looking for something like that. let me know and I will get back to you with a good price.
02SilverWRX
Unicycle

Post by 02SilverWRX »

Hmm... So how much more would i need to spend to get a decent 18g turbo that is going to give me a noticeable gain in power? Also is it even worth it to have an 18g on the 2.0 WRX motor?
2005 525 AWHP AW STi
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

02SilverWRX wrote:would my 2.0 be able to handle this turbo? what all would be needed and is this in fact even a good turbo?

That's HUGE turbo. Take a look at the spec's listed on the page:
Application: Ideal for large (3.0L-6.0L) displacement engines
Here is a good used VF39. Make sure to ask about shaft play in any used turbo. It shouldn't have any forward/backward or side to side.

What are you going to be using this turbo for? Keep in mind that VF turbo's are rebuildable, whereas the 16/18g's are. This could come up if you plan on keeping the turbo for awhile ;) The 18G in Gabe's car feels really good. There is more lag than the stock turbo, but it's a bigger turbo so you have to deal with some of that.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
02SilverWRX
Unicycle

Post by 02SilverWRX »

LOL LOL LOL... I accidentally posted the wrong link to that turbo. Yeah i know that one is too huge, i dont know where to find the turbo i was looking at but i know that was the incorrect link. Well i found a guy last night while i was out who has an 05 STI and he swapped the VF39 out of his girlfriend's STI and he doesnt know anything about the cars so i told him that his VF39 is only worth $150-$200 max and he said if i can find somebody to give him $200 he will sell it so i think i am going to get that one from him, it has 15 k miles on it and it looks brand new...
2005 525 AWHP AW STi
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

1.) I'd tell him the truth.... if he finds out later it was worth more, he might not be so nice...
2.) Make sure you play with the shaft! ;)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I have a 16g.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

My bad!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI