Clearance and All Season tire choice on '08 STi

Need better contact with the ground? Come on in.

Moderator: Moderators

bgarfield
I'm a n000b

Clearance and All Season tire choice on '08 STi

Post by bgarfield »

I'm being a bit lazy as I've been down this road with so many other cars and tired of doing the research, and it's my first Subaru/STi ('08). Anyone know if there are clearance issues to put a significantly bigger tire on? Size limit?
I plan on storing the the stock tire for the remainder of the lease come fall and plan on a "Ultra High Performance All-Season" for most of the time.

I love the Bridgestone RE960 AS I'm running as winter duty on my Miata, and will probably look into that tire for the STi. Maybe a Toyo Proxes 4.

Brian
'08 STi...BLACK (family)
'99 Miata (everyday)
'02 E350 (tow)
Lots of Karts.
http://www.juliangarfield.com
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Re: Clearance and All Season tire choice on '08 STi

Post by sirwilliam »

Clearance depends on a couple factors but the main two are wheel size and ride height. Are you running stock wheels and stock suspensions?
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Brian,

Define "significantly" bigger...

Are you going with 17", 18" or 19" wheels?

The biggest (widest) I've seen online so far has been a 255 series, 35 profile 18". It looks like fender clearance will be a limiting factor front AND rear without some silly camber angles...Especially if the suspension has been swapped out. There are a few knucleheads running around on 19s.

Reference Ploney's post here on IWSTI.com.

Prior to his STi, he had a regional trophy winning Forester. He's pretty serious about his auto-x, so I'd be willing to bet he's got a clue.

I'm curious to hear about how much bigger a tire you're looking to run. :)
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

whatever size you end up with, don't get michelin pilot sport ultra high performance all-seasons. *puke*
-Ben
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Oh crap, I was waaaay off!

Jeff Sponaugle is running JIC 18x9.5 wheels, 45 offset, with 275/35R18 KDWs. And the car is lowered with the new H&R springs.

:shock:

This is a great reference thread BTW.
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

If your looking for an alternative UHPAS to the RE960 you should look into the Falken 912. I'm currently running them on the FXT (granted 235 / 50 / 17) and they are the best of the UHPAS I have ever driven on, and I have driven on a bunch.
And they are $100 for 245 / 40 / 18 and only $96 for 235 / 45 / 18.
The Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season 245 / 40 / 18 (which is currently the highest rated UHPAS on TireRack) is $163.00 each.
The Potenza RE960AS 245 / 40 / 18 are $210 each.
Toyo Proxes 4 245 / 40 / 18 are $144 each.

I will now step off my soap-box and let everyone go on with their day.
bgarfield
I'm a n000b

Post by bgarfield »

STill the family car, won't be autocrossing (other than after my schools for fun), and don't plan on any mods to speak of. I just know that I'll need to change tires at some point so it'll be a good idea to do it right before winter and go to an AS. Not a wheel change. So actually "significantly" wasn't correct.

I'm familiar with other racers running 285's on previous gens, and was curious what the norm would be on these. Do I have any need or desire to run that big? Nope. So my plan would be to run something like a 255 or 265. Some 255's are probably no bigger than the stock 245's, so I was simply wondering about any issues to run wider.

I like the 'Stones, but yeah, they are expensive, wasn't so bad on the Miata :lol:

So the Falken is nice huh? Doesn't seem to have much syping common to an all-season, but it "reads" well on paper. I see them at Vulcan for just over $100, that's pretty cheap..

Brian
'08 STi...BLACK (family)
'99 Miata (everyday)
'02 E350 (tow)
Lots of Karts.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

I run Falken 912s for spring, summer, fall and Blizzaks for dedicated winter. So far the 912s have been pretty good. They work pretty well in rain and have kept me from hydroplaning a couple times. I used to run Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S on my old '04...some people don't like them but I had no complaints on them aside from some tramlining from time to time. I think I may like the Falkens a little better but will see as the miles pack on.

<OT> I see that (I assume is) your son is in karting? I want to get my 3yr old son into that. :D </OT>
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
bgarfield
I'm a n000b

Post by bgarfield »

sirwilliam wrote: <OT> I see that (I assume is) your son is in karting? I want to get my 3yr old son into that. :D </OT>
My son, my other son, my wife, myself... 8) Yeah, we all kart, but my 10 yr old is the one with aspirations of becoming something. I teach Junior Kart Schools as well as the WDCR SCCA Autocross Schools. Shoot me an email at bgarfield at gmail dot com.

The Falken's sound like a good choice. We got through winters in the Audi with Summer tires on it, it's not that bad, it's just not ideal. So, I think a tire like the 912 will be sufficient and the cost is right...especially if i have to buy more than one set to get through the four year lease (likely).

- How much do you think a set of the stock tires are worth with a few thousand miles on them? Anybody want some? :roll:

- What's the thought on a 265/35R18 in that Falken? A little shorter, but not much (1mph off at 60mph). About .7" more section width (as for the look on the rim)

Brian
'08 STi...BLACK (family)
'99 Miata (everyday)
'02 E350 (tow)
Lots of Karts.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

The Falken 912 is available in 265/35R18 (for $135 each).
They require a rim width of 9"-10.5" so you will need wider than stock wheels to accommodate the extra width.
- How much do you think a set of the stock tires are worth with a few thousand miles on them? Anybody want some?
What are you thinking? a set of super sticky summer only tires? RE-01s also come in 265/35ZR18 for $275.00 (each).
Again another set of wider wheels would be required.
chicken n waffles

i guess i'm still a tad confused as to why you'd want to step down from a dedicated summer tire and run all seasons on an sti if you're going to utilize dedicated winter tires during the cold months.
-Ben
bgarfield
I'm a n000b

Post by bgarfield »

No, the plan would be to go to a performing All-Season, all year 'round.

Requiring a larger wheel for a tire that's marginally wider is not necessary. For "optimum" track performance...maybe. But seeing as how I've autocrossed with 225/45R15 Hoosiers on a 6" wheel (for Stock), and seen 225's on a 5", I can tell you that the 265 on the 8.5" is no big deal.

In fact, the factory 245 is being stretched on the wheel (sidewall leans inboard) as it is, the 265 will likely look normal.

Now, if you think or have data that the wheel needs to change because of clearance, that's another issue, and was the purpose of my original question.

Thanks,
Brian
'08 STi...BLACK (family)
'99 Miata (everyday)
'02 E350 (tow)
Lots of Karts.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

bgarfield wrote:Now, if you think or have data that the wheel needs to change because of clearance, that's another issue, and was the purpose of my original question.
I'm just quoting the tire specs, not dictating. It is likely that the 265s will fit on the factory 8.5" wheel without issue. I don't know myself and don't know anyone who has tried it. I figured you were thinking a set of wheels and tires for round town and another for the track.
bgarfield wrote: STill the family car, won't be autocrossing (other than after my schools for fun), and don't plan on any mods to speak of.
What?!! NO MODS?!! The Hell you say! You WILL put a turbo-back exhaust and a tune of some kind on that car! Even if we have to come over and install them on it our selves! Don't make jokes like that here. There is no room for "stock" subarus here.

Oh wait, Jason's still stock. . .

OK, there is no room for "stock" STIs here.

Yep, that works.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

drwrx wrote:
Oh wait, Jason's still stock. . .

Yep, that works.

:rolllaugh:

Seriously though, I have read through a few threads over on IWSTI that mentioned different offset wheels front vs. rear in order to clear tires wider than 255s. I'm not sure how "pushing it" you will be with regards to clearance at the fender and the strut, especially with the stock suspension.
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

OK I'll try to shed a bit more light if I can.
The 245 / 40 / R18s are 25.7" in diameter with a section width of 9.8"
The 265 / 35 / R18s are 25.3" in diameter with a section width of 10.7"
So your dropping .4" in diameter but gaining .9" in width (which may not end up being a full .9" with the 8.5" wheel). So your really only gaining .5" inch total. Then split that difference over the inside and outside, (approx .25") and you should clear the fender wells w/o issue. Now, the struts, are another story all together. That is just guess work.
chicken n waffles

drwrx wrote: What?!! NO MODS?!! The Hell you say! You WILL put a turbo-back exhaust and a tune of some kind on that car! Even if we have to come over and install them on it our selves! Don't make jokes like that here. There is no room for "stock" subarus here.
this man, he speaketh the truth.
-Ben
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

drwrx wrote: Oh wait, Jason's still stock. . .

Yep, that works.
Ok, that begs a new thread... :lol:
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
GVR-4Chad
I walk to work

Post by GVR-4Chad »

I can definitely back the Falken Ziex line of tires. I have the 912s now and rocked the 512s (more of a summer tire) back in the day. They are amazing across the board wet or dry, plus for the price you can't complain. Man you guys run some fat tires, the VR-4 is wearing some 215-50-17R and I never run out of grip...plus I only paid $340 for all 4 tires...but yeah great tire for the price.
Chad
91 Galant VR-4 (989/2000) (Project Track Car)
92 Galant VR-4 (141/1000) (Project Street Car)
07 Legacy GT Spec.B (DD)
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

VR4 is lighter too than most of our cars, is it not? Sometime go on a Hooes Rd. run with me ;)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Actually, the Galant VR4 and a WRX are right around 3,100 lbs (give or take a few lbs).
That was one of the reasons I purchased the WRX after my VR4, because they were so similar in weight and dimension.
Yes, the VR4 was slightly longer 180" long vs.174" but the wheelbase, width, height, track and interior space are all very close.