UTEC instructions pdf?

UTEC/Hydra/MOTEC? STi, WRX, EVO, Legacy, R32? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

spazegun2213
teh Spaz

UTEC instructions pdf?

Post by spazegun2213 »

Does anyone have this? i just got my UTEC, but there are no instructions and i REALLY REALLY want to put it in today.

Also what else should it have, it only has the UTEC box and the map switch thingy. Is that it? is looks like there is a 12V power connector on the back, should their be something for that?

thanks

edit:
Stupid guy stiffed me on like 1/2 the stuff included with the UTEC, time to get some money back, or get the stuff sent.

I also found the pdf for the UTEC, its a freaking book!
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

If you have any questions about your UTEC, pls pls pls RTFM from cover to cover. There are OODLES of ways to let the "factory smoke" out of your motor if you're not careful. I've seen it done.

After you've read that small book, if you still have questions let one of us know. Plenty of ppl here with a good grasp on teh UTEC ;)

Congrats on the purchase, sorry to hear the guy stiffed ya on some of the parts. I hope you received the standoffs for the UTEC and the factory computer at a minimum... the abc is relatively easy to come by, but an MBC can replace it completely.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

Dont worry, I'm already reading it from cover to cover, and I'll do it again before i even touch my car. Looks like (until nasioc gets back up) i have a really small computer that will do nothing. I may even wait till i come back in the area to install it so you all can take a look.

who knows, im sure TuboXS will sell the extra parts too me.

And yousay an MBC wil do fine? are their any real advatages to not runnng the ABC? I was going to run that and let the UTEC do everything.

Gone But not forgotten
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

There are pros and cons to both boost controler types. While the automated, alter on the fly abilities the utes's abc offers are nice, it comes at the cost of spool-up. the abc uses the factory solenoid in a regular bleed off configuration (read slow reacting) which is a big part of why the sti is prone to boost creep. You also are not able to get full boost as soon as it's available. Now everything above I've just said is ABSOLUTELY transparent to a good 70-80% of all utec owners. I currently am using the abc just because i felt like being cheap and lazy (and i installed it at 2:00 am some random thursday night) ;)

Now a manual boost controler has it's own quirks. It is a very simple mechanical device. Also sensitive to boost creep. You can't adjust it on the fly (unless you've got someone under the hood while you're on boost, lol) but you DO have the ability to reach full boost as soon as the turbo can provide it, unlike the abc.

Ideally a third party, ELECTRONIC boost controller would be my preferred route. It offers all of the remote control and tweakability of the abc, with the complete bypass of the factory boost control solenoid like an mbc.

CN: ABC, okay.... MBC.... meh... EBC... gyea! It's all a matter of how much you want to spend. And how far your upgrade path is.

Keep in mind, the abc or mbc is more than adequate for your factory turbo. To follow the KISS principle, I'd stick with teh abc and let the utec control everything.

There's A TON of info I've left out here (getting tired of typing, hahaha) things like ptfb issues, lean a/f conditions with a mbc, etc, etc, etc.
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

Yea, KISS is really good. I dont need to break my car, that would be bad.. very very bad. I think the ABC will be fine for me as I'm new to this while forced induction thing. And I like the idea i can switch maps on the fly with it, which is what i intend to do. This was the main reason i got the UTEC, the ability to run different maps when i want.

Either way, the first thing i intend to do is, load the stock map, and the Stange 1 map, and leave it alone!!! It will be spring before I'll get it into be tuned and I'm NOT making my own maps, not for a LONG time.

Gone But not forgotten
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

so i got the mounting stuff for the UTEC today, but i never installed it (stupid take home exam). I immedetly hooked it up to my computer and away i went. The guy i got it from had all the maps with custom tunes and all i have to say is i understand NONE of it. So it looks like I'm going to be reading about fuel, boost and timeing maps. I also think that I'm going to get baselined at Agile the week after I install all the parts.

All i have to do now is wait... and thats the hardest part!

Gone But not forgotten
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I know Zak has it. He downloaded the entire TurboXS website before they took everything off. He is also savvy enough to do a road tune for you. I think he returns from Germany on the 10th. Try e-mailing him.

I kinda feel bad pimping Zak out like this but I know he help here.

Do you have a laptop with the dashboard program?

You could always just call-up Ultimate and pay to have Jason tune it.
He's an excellent tuner and a really great guy.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

^^^ +1 for Jason. I was reeeel impressed with his tuning abilities. And he's a cool guy who has no problem answering any/all n00b questions.

Money well spent.
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz