disposing of wheels and tires

Need better contact with the ground? Come on in.

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

disposing of wheels and tires

Post by Mr Kleen »

a friend of mine has a set of wheels and tires that he needs to get rid of but they're in such bad shape he can't give them away. where should he go to dispose of them? call a tire install shop and beg? sit them on the curb and hope somebody picks them up before he's sited for thowing tires in a dumpster?

any ideas???
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

he called a local shop, they agreed to take the wheels and tires for $3 each. 8)
TAPOUT
Unicycle

Post by TAPOUT »

He should have left them at the shop for free after hours.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

he could have left them on the curb for free. he wanted to do the right thing and make sure the tires were disposed of properly. :wink:

the shop didn't charge him anything when they saw the wheels were aluminum. with a little homework and a trip to a scrap yard he might have made some money, but he wanted the wheels gone quickly.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Mr Kleen wrote:he could have left them on the curb for free. he wanted to do the right thing and make sure the tires were disposed of properly. :wink:

the shop didn't charge him anything when they saw the wheels were aluminum. with a little homework and a trip to a scrap yard he might have made some money, but he wanted the wheels gone quickly.
You'd be surprised how much he could have gotten for them at the scrap yard. My friend fills up his truck bed w/ aluminum, takes it there, and comes back w/ a nice bit of change to go towards his drag truck. Copper is a heavy hitter as well.

CN: Metal brings a pretty penny at the scrapyard.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

sirwilliam wrote:CN: Metal brings a pretty penny at the scrapyard.
Which is why there's a rash of thefts of things that would otherwise seem...odd. Catalytic converters are being cut off of SUVs (because of their ground clearance it's easy to get under them and remove things), street lights, etc.

--Alan
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Hmm speaking of which I have a set of SSR-GT2s ( wrecked on curb ) w/ brand new pole position S-03s on em. Would anyone want just the rubber or do I need to find a shop that'll hand me $6 as well? ;)
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

Mr Kleen wrote:he could have left them on the curb for free. he wanted to do the right thing and make sure the tires were disposed of properly.
This is great news! Somebody's offsetting all those priuses!
rocket scientist
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Phibs wrote:Hmm speaking of which I have a set of SSR-GT2s ( wrecked on curb ) w/ brand new pole position S-03s on em. Would anyone want just the rubber or do I need to find a shop that'll hand me $6 as well? ;)
I'm having some BBS wheels refinished (bad curb rash, small bend in one lip) for $150 each. for nice wheels like the SSRs it might be worth looking into.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I believe the S03s are 18"
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Are they broken, or just rashed and out of round? If they are repairable, then the Kleen method might make them sellable for you to get mucho mas dinero que tres dollares.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

zaxrex wrote:Are they broken, or just rashed and out of round? If they are repairable, then the Kleen method might make them sellable for you to get mucho mas dinero que tres dollares.
Hmmm lemme illustrate!

Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
Tallen
I'm a n000b

Post by Tallen »

Thats not a piece of trash, it's a trophy!
-Matt
97 GSX
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Umm, yeah. Babby go boom...
I'm surprised the tire held together on the cracked one. I'd give you $12 for the center caps and stems to cover your disposal costs.

Not that I need any more tires, but are they 17"s?
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

245/40ZR18 Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position Blackwall
on
18x8.5 SSR GT2 Silver Painted
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited