Anyone interested in a track meet March 2nd at Capitol?

Meets/events for other car clubs in the area

Moderator: Moderators

TAPOUT
Unicycle

Anyone interested in a track meet March 2nd at Capitol?

Post by TAPOUT »

I'm going to Capitol on March 2 to get some runs in. Anyone want to join me?
06STIffy
Unicycle

Post by 06STIffy »

If I get my tax return by then you can probably count me in.
Stickin Feathers in your Butt does not make you a chicken!

Dale

08 WRB STI
with SRI and lovin it
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Hmm, I'm not much for the 1/4mi, but I might come and watch :) Moving this to "Other meets" for more exposure!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

I might stop by since it's in my neck-of-the-woods (relatively speaking) but I, too, am not a big 1/4-mile fan.

--Alan
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

I would drag race but I still haven't quite got the whole clutch and gas thing figured out yet. :mrgreen:

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

What time?
I'd love to see you run.
Do you have a good supply VP16 this time?
Or are you going for a pump gas run?
TAPOUT
Unicycle

Post by TAPOUT »

I hope to be there by 10AM, and I want to get a couple of pump gas runs in, then switch to VP C16 and run til they kick me out for no cage.
TAPOUT
Unicycle

Post by TAPOUT »

Libra Monkee wrote:I would drag race but I still haven't quite got the whole clutch and gas thing figured out yet. :mrgreen:
This is a great chance to try to figure it out.
TAPOUT
Unicycle

Post by TAPOUT »

Anyone that claims not to be a fan or drag racing, probably hasn't tried it. Get off of your "I'm an autoXer" horse and come have some fun. Drag racing is so much easier than going to a road course. You don't need to change your brake pads, you don't chew up your tires as much, you don't have to worry about paint chips, rocks, another car hitting you, running off the road because you went into a corner too fast, etc. Just come out and have fun. Don't bother coming out to watch, come out and participate.

That is all....
06STIffy
Unicycle

Post by 06STIffy »

^^^^what he said! But I need to get a helmet.

Dale

08 WRB STI
with SRI and lovin it
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

TAPOUT wrote:Drag racing is so much easier than going to a road course. You don't need to change your brake pads, you don't chew up your tires as much, you don't have to worry about paint chips, rocks, another car hitting you, running off the road because you went into a corner too fast, etc.
:rolllaugh:
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

TAPOUT wrote:Anyone that claims not to be a fan or drag racing, probably hasn't tried it. Get off of your "I'm an autoXer" horse and come have some fun. Drag racing is so much easier than going to a road course. You don't need to change your brake pads, you don't chew up your tires as much, you don't have to worry about paint chips, rocks, another car hitting you, running off the road because you went into a corner too fast, etc.
The reason I go up to Summit Point is for the challenge though :) To each his/her own!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

TAPOUT wrote:Drag racing is so much easier than going to a road course. You don't need to change your brake pads, you don't chew up your tires as much, you don't have to worry about paint chips, rocks, another car hitting you, running off the road because you went into a corner too fast, etc. Just come out and have fun. Don't bother coming out to watch, come out and participate.
I only have the stock 5-speed. I have done all of the above things on a road(somone hitting me) or track, I would gladly take any of the above hazards over replacing a broken gear. Well except getting hit by another car.

But that doesn't mean have to jam the shifts all the way down the track. I'f I'm in town, this would be fun. Then I can say I did it.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Nope tried it this weekend. L.M. still can't shift to drag race proportions. Would maybe like to watch though.

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
The Gray Ghost
I walk to work

Post by The Gray Ghost »

I would be interested....it sounds cool...

Mark
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

06STIffy wrote:^^^^what he said! But I need to get a helmet.
Dale just how fast do you think your gonna run? :lol:
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
06STIffy
Unicycle

Post by 06STIffy »

Bluestreak2006 wrote:
06STIffy wrote:^^^^what he said! But I need to get a helmet.
Dale just how fast do you think your gonna run? :lol:
I have no idea, but it will be alot quicker than that wagon :lol:... I am guessing I will stall on my first run, then on the second, I will run backwards and fool everyone, then on the third I will hit my NOS (8000 shot) and put good numbers up like around 2.38945 seconds.

I love drag racing and would like the experience on a track instead of the road. Just curious of how my car and I will do.

Dale

08 WRB STI
with SRI and lovin it
TAPOUT
Unicycle

Post by TAPOUT »

zaxrex wrote:
TAPOUT wrote:Drag racing is so much easier than going to a road course. You don't need to change your brake pads, you don't chew up your tires as much, you don't have to worry about paint chips, rocks, another car hitting you, running off the road because you went into a corner too fast, etc. Just come out and have fun. Don't bother coming out to watch, come out and participate.
I only have the stock 5-speed. I have done all of the above things on a road(somone hitting me) or track, I would gladly take any of the above hazards over replacing a broken gear. Well except getting hit by another car.

But that doesn't mean have to jam the shifts all the way down the track. I'f I'm in town, this would be fun. Then I can say I did it.
So, don't powershift off the rev limiter.
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

TAPOUT wrote:
Libra Monkee wrote:I would drag race but I still haven't quite got the whole clutch and gas thing figured out yet. :mrgreen:
This is a great chance to try to figure it out.
Just remember to keep your right foot planted on the rear brake when slipping that clutch!
rocket scientist
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

TAPOUT wrote: So, don't powershift off the rev limiter.
For what it's worth, I had something of an altercation down on 110 by fort meyer this morning. I had kinda doubted Ross when he suggested to me that the STI will actually "do the right thing" under enough power, but I don't think I've ever really been as brutal to the clutch as I was this morning. Four wheels went, then torque went to the back, the car went a little to the right, and then everything hooked up going into second. It's really a remarkably quick car. Had I started in second and worked the wheel a little, it probably would have come around on me.

You don't need anything like 6500 rpm. Tap the throttle a few times to keep it up around 3000 rpm, ease the clutch a little until it starts getting traction, put down a little more throttle, and as soon as it starts to go, it's almost an inversely proportional application of clutch and gas. As the clutch works from "just gripping" to "entirely engaged" you need to go from 3500rpm to about 5500 and just keep it there until the car hooks up and be ready for 2nd, it comes up a lot quicker than you think. Once you're in second, it's less important to keep revs up between shifts, because you should be shifting pretty quickly. :)

Getting the clutch engaged properly is key to keeping your 60 ft times down, but overall it's not going to harm your mph, and won't affect your ET that much either. If you do this enough times, your clutch will get glazed (and if you're really lucky you'll screw up your flywheel too), and it will be near useless.

The problem is that the clutch is a pain in the ass to replace, and it smells awful when it's abused. It literally permeates the interior of the car and will soak into your clothes.
rocket scientist
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

avriette wrote:...and it smells awful when it's abused. It literally permeates the interior of the car and will soak into your clothes.
i have NO idea what you're talking about.

:on2me:
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

Mr Kleen wrote:
avriette wrote:...and it smells awful when it's abused. It literally permeates the interior of the car and will soak into your clothes.
i have NO idea what you're talking about.

:on2me:
Sit a little closer to me the next time we're at a meet, buddy...
rocket scientist
TAPOUT
Unicycle

Post by TAPOUT »

My car has no problem coming out of the hole at 6800....