NEW GUY WITH MAYBE STUPID QUESTION

It's doesn't go anywhere? It does in here...

Moderator: Moderators

STIwannaBE
I'm a n000b

NEW GUY WITH MAYBE STUPID QUESTION

Post by STIwannaBE »

IM ABOUT TO BUY A WRX AND WOULD LIKE TO GET INFO ON WHAT ECU COMPANY SHOULD I GO WITH. I WOULD LIKE TO ADD SOME PERFORMANCE MODS BUT UNDERSTAND THAT IT WOULD BE BETTER IF I UPGRADE THE ECU FIRST. ANY INFO WOULD BE GREAT.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

No need to shout, friend :)

There are many threads here on ECU upgrades. The most often used are either made my Cobb (Accesport), TurboXS(UTEC), Hydra(Element/Hydra) or for free(OpenECU). In addition, there are many different methods: flashing stock ECU, replacing stock ECU completely, or piggyback type.

How about a current list of mods, or planned mods, as well as a rough idea on budget? It might make it easier to point you in the right direction.

(And the search works pretty well too!)
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Howdy there. Glad you are going in safe and small steps. There are many opinions here, so you can't hold to only one and think it is right for you.

Depending on how mod crazy you are going to go, you may want to wait on doing anything with the ECU. If you want to add just a bit more pep now without having to turn any wrenches, then your ECU would be your only option.

If you wanted to do some exhaust work and then have the ECU tuned to take full advantage, then you might want to wait.

From a recent thread there is a pretty reliable option for some solid gains.

Some ecu options include, Ecutek, Utec, Cobb, There is also Enginuity(sp?) and the Tactrix cable. Some are a single time reflash of your stock one, others are a reflash with some different maps you can enable, and others are piggy back computers that let you muddle with things all you want and do some self tuning.
Next time, no all caps in your post please.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

LOUD... NOISES

cobb accessport if you're a n00b like me and want to "flash n' forget."
-Ben
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

:postwhore:
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
STIwannaBE
I'm a n000b

no more caps sorry

Post by STIwannaBE »

wow sorry im just use to using all caps. I was planning on going mod heavy. im trying to sell my car right now to use as play money for the wrx. if everything goes well my budget will be $4000. since its not an sti i feel like i got alot of catching up to do.

I was interested in doin up pipe, down pipe, intake, exhaust, ecu then trying to figure out how big of a turbo and what company. then adding the injectors and fuel pump. oh yeah front mount also
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Dont forget brakes. Nothing feels worse than kicking ass w/ a bajillion HP, then crashing into something b/c you can't slow down.

If you have a clear parts path and goal in mind, and want to just do everuthing at once and forget about it, I say do all of the wrench work, then get your car on a dyno and have a reputible shop/guy costom flash your ECU.

But, if you are like me and can never get your crap together all at the same time, then you need something that you can tweak with and build up in steps. Street Tuner Pro, and Utec are good for this.

If you want any of my advice, decide what you want in terms of parts, make sure they fit, then wait around 'till you find good deals. It will take a long time to get your car together, but you can save a ton o' cash.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

I would recommend going with an exhaust before messing with the ECU, but either way is a viable option.

As already stated here, the typical options are Cobb AccessPort, TurboXS UTEC, the Hydra, EcuTek, OpenECU, and others.

Probably the easiest would be the Cobb AccessPort. As CnW mentioned, it's a reflash type that lets you flash your stock ECU and then forgot it.

If you want a little more freedom to tweak things (and the possibility that you blow your engine) try the UTEC.

If you want to get really crazy with adjustability (and danger), try the Hydra. However, this one is not OBDII-compliant so you'd have to uninstall it to get your emissions testing done - then re-install afterward.

--Alan
bludragontrboawd
DCAWD Groupie

Post by bludragontrboawd »

HEY ALL!

The OP is actually my good friend that has been BUGGING the crap out of me about this stuff. And since i'm more of a Mitsu guy, i referred him here to read more. I shouldve said to read before posting hahaha and to use proper posting etiqutte. I appologize for that.

He's Really excited on getting stuff and had asked me what to do first and trying to remember the first lessons in modding the car was to get an Engine management of some sort and all i remembered at the time was the COBB. I figured it wouldve been easier and cheaper for him, but i'm bringing him up to the next Springfield meet so Julian can take him for a ride so he can crap his pants! hahahaha

He's driving a Honda Civic Hatch and all he knows is Honda. So this is VERY new to him but he's eager to learn. He's getting nibbled by the mod bug already but i'm trying to get some repellant on him before he blows his money and not know anything about the dawgon car. I suggested him to drive around about 6 months to get to know it somewhat first because this is a WAY different animal.

Thanks guys for the patience and Info! CANT WAIT TO SEE YALL!
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

bludragontrboawd wrote: I suggested him to drive around about 6 months to get to know it somewhat first because this is a WAY different animal.
VERY good advise! With these cars it's so easy to get big gains quickly that it's tempting. Get to know the car, and more importantly you and the cars' limits. After you reach those, start modding it in a direction that you want.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Bluestreak2006
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Bluestreak2006 »

^^^ Agreed.
I waited a whole year to finally go Stage 2. Just not for the same reasons.

Da wifey....
Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
bludragontrboawd
DCAWD Groupie

HAHAHAHAHAHA............always refers back to that good ole' ladie friend huh!

I'm kinda in the same boat. Luckily she's into this stuff and used to be an import model so she understands.......she already told me the date for Hot Import NIghts and wants to attend!

I just rember some of the lessons yall taught in this forum as time passed. and the one that sticks out the most is eh hem...

"It's not the destination that matters, its the Journey"
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I waited a year before doing any power mods. WRX mod #1 should be tires and maybe wheels if you want to go to 17's for larger brakes. I'm now running a Cobb AP stage 2 and love it: nice gains for a modest investment and the car is MORE than fast enough for public use...

I suggest you build the car in stages. if you do every mod all at once you'll be left with nowhere to go (but traffic court).

and have I mentioned HPDE1 in this thread yet? :wink: :lol:
bludragontrboawd
DCAWD Groupie

its amazing how much power these mods produce! i wish my S2000 was the same!

Only real gains i'll get is to go FI. And i plan on that in Summa!!!!!!
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

zaxrex wrote:Dont forget brakes. Nothing feels worse than kicking ass w/ a bajillion HP, then crashing into something b/c you can't slow down.
W3RD!
bludragontrboawd wrote:its amazing how much power these mods produce! i wish my S2000 was the same!

Only real gains i'll get is to go FI. And i plan on that in Summa!!!!!!
Dude, are you still alive? :lol: Good to see you on the boards!
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
bludragontrboawd
DCAWD Groupie

you know what......... i'm glad you mentioned that to me because its been forever!

I need to come around more but i had a falling out with my Eclipse GSX..

I went ahead and sold the car because after hard thinking and realizing i'm trying to revive a lost dream and the money i was gonna put into it was just gonna be overwhelming.

SO......I went ahead and Completed all my steps that i wanted to on my S2000 except for the last step.. TURBO! hahaha..

I did everything from intake, header, test pipe, to HKS dual exhaust, lowered it, 18's with carbon fiber Goodyear eagle F1 all seasons, to the Front lip, rear spoiler, front grill, Clear side markers, Cross drilled slotted rotors and ceramic brakes and a new ACT clutch kit.

i was preparing it for turbo actually. She looks great... moves when i need her too, *not no suby or nothing* but good enough for now, and hopefully get my turbo kit in the summer time!

Julian offered to help stick that bad boy on! hahahaha i might have to take up on that offer! a bunch of beer and food and cursing! Ahhh.. good times..

I'll be out soon........AND......i'll be more consistant hahahahaha..
STIwannaBE
I'm a n000b

Post by STIwannaBE »

I mean really mr. s2000, just put me out there like im some kindergarden kid tryin to play with the high schoolers. just cause i have always been honda doesnt mean that i cant pick up quick on the subie lingo. and look whose talking, goin from mitsu to honda. your like 5 years late....hahaha.

I definately planned on doin the brakes first. and my plan for the motor is to have an ecu that i can tune while driving or on a dyno. and mr. s2000 if you go turbo i need something to keep up so i dont get left behind. everyone else thanks for the info
bludragontrboawd
DCAWD Groupie

HAHHAHAHAA... HEY NOW! your gonna experience boths sides like i have! and BOTH sides are GREAT!

I love the handling in the S2000 for sure! but man.. nothing better than an awd turbo.. AND PUT SOMETHING IN THE BACK SEATS! which i dont have :( hahahah

And dont worry... the day will come where you'll keep up. then i'll just have to upgrade! hahahahah NEVER ENDS!!!!!!!!

WELCOME ABOARD!