"Subaru considering offering non-boxer, non-AWD models&

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

"Subaru considering offering non-boxer, non-AWD models&

Post by ElZorro »

http://feeds.autoblog.com/~r/weblogsinc ... 187720425/
Subarus have sported standard AWD since the 80s, well before most other automakers even bothered with the technology. That, partnered with its boxer engine, goes together like peanut butter and jelly. But the Japanese automaker has to begin worrying about fuel efficiency and emissions, so the two features that have defined the brand for decades may become optional on future models. Thankfully, it's got Toyota to pilfer from, so the implementation of new drivetrains will be a bit easier if and when it makes the shift. Subaru of Australia Director Nick Senior broke the news of the possible switch, but he also emphasized that any changes wouldn't be made before 2010 and that no product plans are without AWD or the boxer engine in the foreseeable future.

[Source: Go Auto via Straightline]
And next, Ford will start offering good looking cars and Ferrari will introduce inexpensive cars... and monkeys will fly out of Chuck's butt!

I can understand why they'd want to do it, gotta keep up with the hybrids.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

...he also emphasized that any changes wouldn't be made before 2010 and that no product plans are without AWD or the boxer engine in the foreseeable future.
by 2011 it's anybodies guess how ugly Subarus will be, might as well ditch the boxer engine and AWD while they're at it. :lol:
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Re: "Subaru considering offering non-boxer, non-AWD mod

Post by GaToR »

ElZorro wrote:I can understand why they'd want to do it, gotta keep up with the hybrids.
:evil:

It could be a marketing ploy. They could divide the Suby's up like Audi. FWD for the entry market, but costs arm+leg for the Quattros. But that is not what makes a Subaru, a Subaru dammit!

If its all about fuel mileage, there are other ways to go about that. You can get 25+/30+ in a midsized AWD turbo. Granted it happened by accident, but the Zippper is running lean and clean. Apply the same methodology to the same car on the production line, and you've saved thousands of drivers hundreds/year each in fuel costs.

http://forums.dcawd.com/viewtopic.php?p=44153#44153
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Yeah, that is not happening...WTH is up w/ the diesel 2.5L boxer engine? That is plenty fuel efficient.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

It will be a very sad day when Subaru doesn't make a Subaru anymore....
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
schvin
DCAWD Groupie

Post by schvin »

Sabre wrote:It will be a very sad day when Subaru doesn't make a Subaru anymore....
+1
2004 impreza outback
1964 beetle
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

Board meeting at Toyota:

Toyota Exec #1: "Now that we are number one we need to start acting like it.
Toyota Exec #2: "We can allow our build quality to slip. Who cares about a reputation for quality? We're number one! People will love what we tell them to buy."
Toyota Exec #1: "And we own controlling shares in small non-threatening competitors. Lets run them into the ground. "
Toyota Exec #2: "Brilliant! Why hasn't anyone thought of this before? "

Meanwhile:

GM Exec: "Fools"
Ford Exec: "Tell me about it"
midnit
Unicycle

Post by midnit »

legasleeper wrote:Board meeting at Toyota:

Toyota Exec #1: "Now that we are number one we need to start acting like it.
Toyota Exec #2: "We can allow our build quality to slip. Who cares about a reputation for quality? We're number one! People will love what we tell them to buy."
Toyota Exec #1: "And we own controlling shares in small non-threatening competitors. Lets run them into the ground. "
Toyota Exec #2: "Brilliant! Why hasn't anyone thought of this before? "

Meanwhile:

GM Exec: "Fools"
Ford Exec: "Tell me about it"
:rolllaugh: :rolllaugh: :rolllaugh: :rolllaugh: :rolllaugh: