Winter Wheel Size?

Need better contact with the ground? Come on in.

Moderator: Moderators

Katya4me
DCAWD Groupie

Winter Wheel Size?

Post by Katya4me »

Hi, my brother has a Saab 9-2x Aero, the Saabaru. Anyway, he needs winter wheels since the stockies don't cut it and I'm trying to see if 15"s will clear the stock brakes, which should be the same as the WRX has. He has the stock 16" rims, not the 17"s that were an option. He's pretty poor, so I'm trying to see how low I can find a set of winters for him. He's in upstate NY right now, moving back to MD in December. Tirerack lists some 16" steelies, but nothing smaller among their suggestions.

I saw these on NASIOC: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853915
But I don't want to contact the guy if the wheels don't clear.

complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

From what I have read online the smallest wheel that will clear the wrx brakes is a 16"

FWIW, I have made extended trips in varying amounts of poor weather (ice, sleet, 12" snow, etc) with the stock RE-92's and have had pretty good results. Obviously not as good as a dedicated winter tire, but not bad by any means. :)

HTH
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Katya4me
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Katya4me »

OK, but he's not a great driver and has visions of doing rally dancing thru his head, so I think dedicated snow tires are a good idea. Also, this is the first new car he has owned, his last vehicle was a 1988 Blazer that didn't matter if it got hurt.

Anyone got any 16" rims for sale cheap? :D
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

if he's poor go with the stock tires for winter use. if winter tires are absolutely necessary get some mounted on the stock wheels and save up for summer wheels/tires next spring. so they gave the Saabaru the RE92 shaft as well, eh?
Katya4me
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Katya4me »

From SaabCentral:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit
I'm reading differing views on this tire. It looked like an all-season. but some reviews like tirerack.com doesn't even list it's snow capability. BTW how's the RE011s? I know subaru's standard issue re92s are crap.

As stated in the owner's manual under the "tires" section, the 011 is a summer tire. It is competent, but that's about it, although it rides well and is quiet for a performance tire. It won't last too long though, treadwear 140.
Katya4me
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Katya4me »

And my brother says they are expecting their first snow in the next 3 weeks or so.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Tell him to get the Continental ContiExtremeContact if he wants a good winter tire that has decent all around performance too. They are 78$/ea on tirerack for his stock rims. I used these on my STI and was able to get through 8" of snow like it wasn't there.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Oh ya, and check out tirevan (mentioned in a post on here somewhere) for mounting. Cheap and they come to your door :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Katya4me
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Katya4me »

OK, thanks for the recommendations. :) Now, my next question, is it cheaper/easier to get winters for his stock rims and pay the mount/dismount fees, or pick up cheap 16" steelies?
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Tirevan.net only serves the NOVA area, I don't know if they have something like that for up north or not.

If your brother is interested, I can rent out my bombproof wheels for the winter.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears