99 2.5 Subaru needs tranny work.Any good mechs in the house

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

RocketJok
I'm a n000b

99 2.5 Subaru needs tranny work.Any good mechs in the house

Post by RocketJok »

Transmission is leaking at the rear flange which connects to the back housing. I took it to a Subaru dealer in rockville and was told the pinnion shaft seals and the O-ring for the valve body are worn. The price they quoted was outragous. I am still courious how they know excatly what is wrong when they didn't even drop the transmission. Can anyone recommend a "local" tranny shop that knows Subarus and does quality work. Or a local mechanic that works in his garage. Any help would be greatly appricated.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Seperating the rear housing from the main housing is pretty easy, anybody can do that. But if there is a problem with thesurfaces that is not letting the seal do its job, then you get into machining & such. Any mechanic could do the job, but it would be better if they had the Subaru specific tools for removing and installing the new seals, just less chance of mucking something up. Most shopw would probably replace the whole thing and offset the cost with the core refund.

Is there damage to the trans housing (curb, rock, debris being run over), or is the seal just not holding the liquid?

Even though this is for an '02 Impreza, the steps will be pretty much identical;

I have heard of people backing the housing off a little, then getting RTV gasket goo all around the seal in there and bolting it back up to fix leaks.

Did the dealer show the brakedown of the parts & labor? If the total was around $1500, they woold probably replace with a remanned trans instead of fixing the problem and re-installing it.

On a side note, a co-worker has a 99 Outback auto and has had trouble with it not going into drive even though te selector lever is in position. Takes sometimes up to 40 sec before the car starts mooving. Anything like that happen to you?
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
RocketJok
I'm a n000b

Post by RocketJok »

Thanks for the answer Zaxrax.
This engine is in a 99 outback wagon and the guy at the dealership showed me a breakdown schematic of the Tranny. This "pinion shaft seal" and "valve body o-ring" are all internal to the tranny. The transmission would have to be dropped from the car and the rear housing removed to access these parts. There is no damage to the external housing. The dealer wants 2200.00 to fix these parts. 1800 in labor and 400 in parts.
I tried to scan the schematic and place it in this text but it would not work. I could email it or fax a copy to you so you could have a better idea what I am talking about.[/img]
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Sounds like it isn't something we could easily help with :(

AndrewTech Automotive up in Gaithersburg specializes in Subaru tranny work, I would give them a call.
http://www.andrewtechautomotive.com/
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Yeah, this site doesn't host pictures for you, sy you will have to link it to somewhere like imageshack or snapfish or something.

You can e-mail it to <me>@yahoo.com, but I have only ever delt with the manual trannies, so I don't know how much help I would be.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

for $2200 I would buy a new transmission and install it myself. :?
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

RocketJok wrote: I tried to scan the schematic and place it in this text but it would not work. I could email it or fax a copy to you so you could have a better idea what I am talking about.[/img]
Try scanning it into a PDF. Not sure if the free image posting websites will do a .pdf file. If not, you can use the Acrobat "selection" tool. Highlight all and copy and paste to another format to post.

There is also photobucket.com
Sabre wrote:Sounds like it isn't something we could easily help with :(

AndrewTech Automotive up in Gaithersburg specializes in Subaru tranny work, I would give them a call.
http://www.andrewtechautomotive.com/
^^+1...that is where I take my car if I can't fix it myself.
Mr Kleen wrote:for $2200 I would buy a new transmission and install it myself. :?
No joke.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
RocketJok
I'm a n000b

Post by RocketJok »

You guys have been a great help. I am stuck in an "insurance sprial" and need to get my tranny fixed. I thought about doing it myself but my time is really tight. I travel way to much to teach myself how to rebuild a Subaru transmission. I have dropped a few in my life time, but now it is not possible. I am really glad I found this forum. I will check in again and maybe meet up with you guys at a meet. I plan on calling the guy in Gaithersburg. He has got to be better than the dealer that I have been dealing with. Thanks again. I will let you all know how it works out. When I go should I use any of you guys as reference? Who know, maybe you'll get a bird dog fee.....
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

i've heard a lot of good things about AndrewTech Automotive. so many in fact that they have a waiting list. :? call right away if you need the work done soon.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

RocketJok wrote:You guys have been a great help. I am stuck in an "insurance sprial" and need to get my tranny fixed. I thought about doing it myself but my time is really tight. I travel way to much to teach myself how to rebuild a Subaru transmission. I have dropped a few in my life time, but now it is not possible. I am really glad I found this forum. I will check in again and maybe meet up with you guys at a meet. I plan on calling the guy in Gaithersburg. He has got to be better than the dealer that I have been dealing with. Thanks again. I will let you all know how it works out. When I go should I use any of you guys as reference? Who know, maybe you'll get a bird dog fee.....
Andrew and the folks definitely know us :) They come out to a meet every so often. I doubt you'll get a discount (some of our official sponsors DO give discounts) but it's always nice to let them know we're sending business their way. Glad we could help and good luck!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.