Instructing and M3's

Track days? F1? Put it here!

Moderator: Moderators

spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Instructing and M3's

Post by spazegun2213 »

After fixing a throttle cable issue on the m3 late sunday night i took my roommats m3 up to summit point. I was instructing for the first time with the Mercedes-Benz Club. Little was known about the event before any of the instructors got there (i knew 3 others and none of us knew what was going on). I showed up, went though tech and registered. I was number 69:pimp: About this time the truck pulling a gt2 and a 968RS showed up.... good lord those cars were hot! The paddock consisted of a lot of Euro trash, lol. Benz's, Various cars like an OLD ass 300SL (coolest car there) so newer AMG stuff, BMW's 3's of all shape and form, Porsches from 911's to a ton of 944's. There were even 11ty billion s2k's breeding in the woods.

The instructors meeting was short and sweet, no assigned students, and the other usual HPDE rules, including the one saying we cant pass anywhere, only in the "passing zones" :( Next was the student meeting and again, the usual stuff like the flags and the part about free food... wait what? yes, i said free food! After that we were on track! Alright this is the first session out with a car thats not mine, sweet track time... hmm i hope i dont go off and hit anything.... such a nice car, and i hear they are easy to drive. We take off and i take a lap to sort out the car. The turn in is great, the feel is amazing, but it plows a little... maybe i should try trail braking it, nah, I'll try that later. The brakes were amazing and i could tell the car was light. With the gears in the car i was able to nearly top the car out doing just under 130 before the braking zone into 1.

Next jump into three cars in a row, back into the m and repeat, that was my morning. I instructed everything from a stupid fast second gen DSM, to a bone stock s2k, to my friends sti (also fast). Throughout the entire day i got looks from people when i said the car was not mine, most people said that i had a very trusting friend and i agreed that I do. After lunch i only had 2 students so i had a little bit of a break then it happened. I gave a ride in the m3 and i think the passenger was a little bit shocked how well i know summit and how well i was driving someone else's car. A friend Max came up with his M3 race car and we both got up to gird at the same time and i vowed to stay as close to him as possible. The first lap the 615's came up to temp way quicker than his RA-1's so i was on his ass, by the second lap he had about 5 cars on me. Then on the third lap, i to a late pass in 10, didnt get the car turned in and want off in 10 :( Nothing major just slid right over the gator into the gravel trap and continued back onto the track. Only damage was the spilter separating an inch of two but Epoxy will fix that.

All and all it was a good day, LOTS of track time and cool students. I cant wait to do it again!

video of the off :(
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7720&hl=en
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Post by snaab »

That was exciting just to read
RJ
'13 Mazda3
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

snaab wrote:That was exciting just to read
a big :plusone:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Excellent. :) Now all you need to do is mount the camera about 3" lower so we can see something other than your rearview mirror. :wink:
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.