RS engine doesn't sound as happy

2.0, 2.5, NA, FI, it's all good in here

Moderator: Moderators

Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

RS engine doesn't sound as happy

Post by Cereb Daithi »

No it's not a big problem.

First around 2500-3500 RPM (usually when decelerating.. sometimes when accelerating at certain speeds) i hear a loud buzzing sound that persists as long as i remain in that rpm range. it's quite loud actually. I can't tell if its directly engine related or if it's just perhaps some sort of shield vibrating sympathetically with that particular frequency since i've only noticed it at those RPMs. Have any of you ever noticed heard anything like that before?

The next sound is when I start climbing into the higher RPMs. Under acceleration I get some "tap tap" sounds coming from the engine intermittently and very faint. This occurs only sometimes... I can't pinpoint a specific scenario. It's happened on cold days, on warm days, while the engine was cold, while the engine was hot. I noticed it quite a long time ago and figured I'd just wait to hear it some more before I had to pay some mechanic.

Again the car runs fine. Starts up easy, idles easy, accelerates fine (for an RS), maintains speed fine, doesn't leak/drink oil, doesn't throw any CELs. The engine is stock as well with a a bit over 35k on the odo. The only thing under that hood that didn't come with the car is cable hooked up to the battery that I had when the 10" subs were still in the car. Those have been long since removed since they were too much bass even for me but the inline fuse is still resting on the window-washer fluid tank. I doubt that could be making the noise.

Anyways it's not an urgent problem. Maybe I'm just being overly paranoid. I just figured I'd run it by you guys to see if anyone has seen this sort of thing before.
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Re: RS engine doesn't sound as happy

Post by avriette »

Cereb Daithi wrote: First around 2500-3500 RPM (usually when decelerating.. sometimes when accelerating at certain speeds) i hear a loud buzzing sound that persists as long as i remain in that rpm range. it's quite loud actually. I can't tell if its directly engine related or if it's just perhaps some sort of shield vibrating sympathetically with that particular frequency since i've only noticed it at those RPMs. Have any of you ever noticed heard anything like that before?
Is it happening under weight transfer, or under decel? That's an important distinction. Classically, this can be exhaust hangers and stuff like that.
The next sound is when I start climbing into the higher RPMs. Under acceleration I get some "tap tap" sounds coming from the engine intermittently and very faint. This occurs only sometimes... I can't pinpoint a specific scenario. It's happened on cold days, on warm days, while the engine was cold, while the engine was hot. I noticed it quite a long time ago and figured I'd just wait to hear it some more before I had to pay some mechanic.
Is your oil low? Burned? This can be valve clatter or other valvetrain noise. Is it only under load, or can you pull the throttle with the hood up and hear it?
Again the car runs fine. Starts up easy, idles easy, accelerates fine (for an RS), maintains speed fine, doesn't leak/drink oil, doesn't throw any CELs.
Cars can lie. :)
rocket scientist
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Re: RS engine doesn't sound as happy

Post by Cereb Daithi »

avriette wrote: Is it happening under weight transfer, or under decel? That's an important distinction. Classically, this can be exhaust hangers and stuff like that.
Both. I first noticed it while downshifting with the 4EAT. However I also dropped it into neutral around 40mph and gave the engine a little rev and had the same result. I noticed it again while coasting along at around 15mph on my dirt road. Whenever I would apply throttle in 1st gear it would happen as long as i was around 2500rpm
Is your oil low? Burned? This can be valve clatter or other valvetrain noise. Is it only under load, or can you pull the throttle with the hood up and hear it?
2 oil changes ago I was very very low. However I was also late in changing the oil. Last time I changed it on time and the levels were fine. As far as the noise goes, I haven't noticed it while stationary. I'll have to double-check that to be sure though. As of now I *think* it's only under load.
Cars can lie. :)
indeed
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

Little update for the curious. Had a subaru mechanic buddy look it over. First the heat shield WAS vibrating. that is now clamped down. second, and.. not so easily fixed. the exhaust resonator up by the engine is cracked which also is causing some noise apparently. it's not bad and the car will run fine with no issues, however it'll need to get replaced before inspection.

so all is well!
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Cereb Daithi wrote:Little update for the curious. Had a subaru mechanic buddy look it over. First the heat shield WAS vibrating. that is now clamped down. second, and.. not so easily fixed. the exhaust resonator up by the engine is cracked which also is causing some noise apparently. it's not bad and the car will run fine with no issues, however it'll need to get replaced before inspection.

so all is well!
Glad to hear that the car noise was (hopefully) diagnosed.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Glad to hear everything is good Dave!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

The exhaust will run around $400 to fix. But really.. it's not a problem. Unless it's clogged or has a huge hole... exhaust is really something i don't worry about