Strangeness while saving gas

UTEC/Hydra/MOTEC? STi, WRX, EVO, Legacy, R32? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Strangeness while saving gas

Post by zaxrex »

I decided to do some testing on my gas usage. I flew into DC, picked up the car at night and started a long drive down south. I filled up with piss gas in Woodbridge and wanted to see how high I could get my mileage.

Driving very softly, drafting semis, high air pressure, and stiffest suspension settings without changing my injector scaling, I have gotten 350 miles and I think I van get 20-30 more off my tank. DC driving is going to kill the last part though.

So, now I'm getting to the weirdness.

I was driving back up from down south in the middle of the night. Never going into boost, and staying in high gears. I had come to a hill in Wilderness and was in 5th with revs down around 1500. I rolled on the gas 'till the needle was getting close to 0. At 1800 rpm, I noticed a strange noise, a big whooshing sound. The car started to shudder verry quickly. Just before I took my foot of the gas, I noticed that I had hit 8 pounds of boost. The water injection kicked in at 5 lbs, so I heard that noise and looked over at the boost guage and saw it climbing just before I layed off the gas.

Later that night after trying unsucessfully to duplicate the event (not enough steep hills where I could go slow on in 5th), I realised what had happened. I was in one of the strange load sites of the UTEC that nobody in their right mind would ever find themselves in (go figure, eh?).

My injectors were dumping gas at the low RPM. The rich mixture was getting into the headers and lighting off again. That was the noise I had heard. In effect, it was a turbo pre-spool as there is no way I should be seeing boost build at such a low load and RPM setting.

So, just thought I would share.

Go on with your lives now.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

ummm... w00t?
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Anti-lag FTW ? :) Pretty interesting, I have to admit! Seeing as how it was just load zones that you normally don't use.... you could tune for it :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Note quite w00t, more like .. 00.

Nothing special, just strange and kinda cool.

I think the ony reason why I didn't get CEL misfires is that the A/F stayed in the cyls so long that it started to burn. If the rpms went up, I don't think there would be time to get a flame front going. That is where a 5th injector comes into play. right into the exhaust manifold baby.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears