2.0, 2.5, NA, FI, it's all good in here

Moderator: Moderators

sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Back to basics...

Post by sirwilliam »

Well, after getting my baby back from Andrewtech I have gone back to:

=> STi TMIC (from FMIC)
=> Stock XT/STi injectors (from modified stockers)
=> Stock fuel pump (from walboro...think it was a lemon)
=> Stock STi OEM axleback (from 3" whisper axleback)
=> Stock XT bumper (from chopped FMIC holed XT bumper)

I also detuned to 18psi from 20psi for my VF39 tapering to 15psi at redline.

Also, soon to be going w/:

-18" Gold T2's shod w/ 225/40/18s MX tires
-'05 WRX sedan struts w/ '05 WRX Wagon springs (just arrived today)
-MoBoost lateral link supports
-Poltec adj rear lateral links

Should all be good w/ a good allignment. Stock XT suspension just didn't cut it for me since driving around in father's G35 for a couple days. :lol:
Last edited by sirwilliam on Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Why the de-tune on the fixx0rd engine?
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

complacent wrote:Why the de-tune on the fixx0rd engine?
(1)Not sure it is quite fixed yet. Once every week after getting the car back until last weekend, the car would cut out going around a sharp corner into a parking lot which never happened before. Also last week....I let the car warm for 20 minutes so it was nice and warm, proceeded to turn right at a light and hit the accelerator to get away from traffic...car bogged real bad, then a white plume of smoke came out of the exhaust pipe...the car then accelerated fine after that but never had white plume of smoke (usually coolant, no?) come out from the exhaust before...HMM? Talk to two people (one being Dan that worked on the car) both thought it may have something to do w/ the fuel system but other person also thought it sounded like the head gasket went again. I was at the gas station to fuel up before heading up to PA last Thursday. After filling up, the car stalled out. I turned it back on and the Walboro made a strange/abnormal high pitch sound that lasted about minute before going away. I went to a friends house and swapped in my stock pump before heading up to PA. No more stalling/shutting off but the car is not running its best. I am going to see if I can retune some more to try to fix the problem hoping that it isn't a blown HG.

(2) The FMIC was overkill for my VF39, it caused more lag than I wanted, and bogged a little b/c of having to build up the air pressure in all the long FMIC pipes (but I will miss the lack of heat soak and more top end). Injectors have been causing me some problems and was overkill for my power level (only utilizing just over 500cc's) so I just went back to stock and the difference is night and day. My friend also spent roughly 1 week straight trying to fine tune the modified injectors the best that he could which was a lot better than another well regarded shop could do. Also went back to basic bolt ons b/c they are easier to come by if something happened and parts broke (I.E. custom FMIC...very $$$$), work well w/ the VF39 (which was what they were made for) and if Litchfield is fine w/ the stock STI TMIC for a 3.4second to 60 car then I will be fine w/ it too. Another point w/ going back to STi bolt ons is that it will be easy to either swap again to stock XT parts or stock STi exhaust/tune for trade in down the road. My buddy Frank is utilizing my FMIC better running over 20psi w/ alky for his FPGreen going above 400WHP on his XT. I am fine w/ 300WHP or close to that.
Last edited by sirwilliam on Sun May 06, 2007 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

sirwilliam wrote:never had white plume of smoke (usually coolant, no?) come out from the exhaust before...HMM? Talk to two people (one being Dan that worked on the car) both thought it may have something to do w/ the fuel system but other person also thought it sounded like the head gasket went again.
White smoke is going to be either oil on the turbine housing or water coming from the head (or a cracked cylinder wall, but given the car is running that's not likely). If it's water, that's a pain in the ass. Usually you can smell the difference here, though.
(2) The FMIC was overkill for my VF39, it caused more lag than I wanted, and bogged a little b/c of having to build up the air pressure in all the long FMIC pipes (but I will miss the lack of heat soak and more top end).
Phibs is looking for one, if you're not going to reinstall it.
My buddy Frank will be utilizing the FMIC better running over 20psi w/ alky for his FPGreen going above 400WHP on his XT.
Wow, this I wanna see. That's awesome. For a long time I had visions of an FXT instead of our STI. Having just moved house, there were times I wish we had the XT instead. :(

400whp is awesome.
rocket scientist
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Two nights ago I fabbed up (very nicely I might add) an extension for my APS splitter duct to make a better seal for the TMIC. Sure makes a huge difference w/ a good sealing splitter...TMIC is nice and cool after a good romping!

Also, friend is back in town and road tuned my car. It is running so much better. I am so happy...<tearing eyes>. :ya:

Okay, is it just me or does your lives turn to crap if you car is running right or how you would like it? After getting my car running right, it feels like a huge weight is off my shoulders and the sun is shining on a cloudy day...when it is cold out side, I got the month of may....

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

shouts of nothingness wrote:every day is a good day
:wink:
...and reliable transportation sure helps. :lol:
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

It is a great feeling to get your baby back and have fun with her (or him, whatev...)

Either way, 'grats on being back to normal. (as far as the car is concerned)

Now, about that O2 sensor socket.... :wink:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

complacent wrote:It is a great feeling to get your baby back and have fun with her (or him, whatev...)

Either way, 'grats on being back to normal. (as far as the car is concerned)

Now, about that O2 sensor socket.... :wink:
:sorry: :sorry: Yeah, strike two! Very sorry. I owe you many beers for that. I will get it back to you at the next available meet or if it is a rush I can hand deliver it to your residence on Sunday night after I get back from PA.

Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Sir, are you looking to sell the FMIC?
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Phibs wrote:Sir, are you looking to sell the FMIC?
sirwilliam wrote:My buddy Frank is utilizing my FMIC better running over 20psi w/ alky for his FPGreen going above 400WHP on his XT. I am fine w/ 300WHP or close to that.

drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Glad to hear that all is right with the world again.

I'm using you as my guideline for the wife's XT. I'm going to keep it as simple as possible.

What was the problem with the seal on the TMIC splitter? Did the rubber seal not extend far enough to reach the TMIC? What did you have to fab to make it work?

So . . . what are you planning to do with your old 17" wheels and tires? Are you planning on selling them? (the vulture circles)
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

drwrx wrote:Glad to hear that all is right with the world again.

I'm using you as my guideline for the wife's XT. I'm going to keep it as simple as possible.

What was the problem with the seal on the TMIC splitter? Did the rubber seal not extend far enough to reach the TMIC? What did you have to fab to make it work?

So . . . what are you planning to do with your old 17" wheels and tires? Are you planning on selling them? (the vulture circles)
Yeah, I traded my cut bumper for my buddy Frank's APS TMIC splitter. It is of course made specifically for the APS TMIC which is flat and taller unlike the STI TMIC which is lower and has a lip/border around it for better sealing w/ the stock STI splitter...but that won't work correctly on our cars
b/c the TMIC is slightly skewed out of position.

I got some aluminum, drill, and rivet gun w/ rivets. I basically extended the splitter's aluminum ducting and reused the APS rubber shroud. I can show you at June's Vinny's meet. It works much better but I will probably redo it to have a perfect seal (b/c it is still slightly off and I want it to sit inside the TMIC lip/border).

I will probably keep the Gunmetallic T2's just something about that all black/dark look that I like. I might have to replace the tires w/ something lower for the GunMetalic T2's if they rub after doing my suspension at Jared's this Sunday. Got an appointment at PTuning for my alignment on Monday so I am excited!!!

Will I ever be satisfied w/ my setup? Probably never. But it keeps getting a little better. So I will keep modding/demodding/changing parts until I am happy/satisfied or I sell the car for a new one.

Okay, I will stop rambling.... :wink:

drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

sirwilliam wrote:Will I ever be satisfied w/ my setup? Probably never. But it keeps getting a little better. So I will keep modding/demodding/changing parts until I am happy/satisfied or I sell the car for a new one.
Everyone has to have some addiction. At least ours won't get us thrown in jail. Well the by-product may. Suspension is another issue for me as well. I'm certain I'll do some sway bars, a set of 17s and some grippy tires. But my wife really like the ride height (her previous vehicle was a '96 Pathfinder) and wants to keep the ride as smooth as possible, so I'll have to watch what you do and see if I go further. Perhaps just a set of GR2s would be enough for us.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Car and Driver had an article about modding an FXT in the last issue. remind me and I'll bring it along to the Vinny's meet tomorrow night.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Mr Kleen wrote:Car and Driver had an article about modding an FXT in the last issue. remind me and I'll bring it along to the Vinny's meet tomorrow night.
It was just a shameless COBB plug for their products. They ran COBB stage 1 (better but not much more power) and some of the COBB suspesion bits.
You can do better than what they showed but the C&D did say it may a huge improvement over stock. Not sure but I think they used a newer '06+ XT model which are slower than the '04-'05 models.

drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Yes on all points guys. It was an 06 FXT with Cobb Accessport Stage 1, a set of Cobb sway bars and a set of 255/55/16 Toyo Proxes T1Rs. It was able to do .82 g on the skidpad (vs .74 g stock) and stop from 70-0 in 160 ft. (vs 172 stock). I would probably not go with Toyo Proxes T1Rs as they are $120 a pop and are not great in the wet.

I was thinking of a set of 17" wheels with 245/45 tires. Either General UHPs for $80 each or the Fuzion ZRis for $90.