Exhaust upgrade

Audi too loud or not loud enough?

Moderator: Moderators

Osiros
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Osiros »

Phibs wrote:Yes the wooshing sound rules and there is no silencer anymore ;0

As for the tires, I really dunno what I can do :(
Not much you can do man - you either bite the bullet and replace the tires or you don't. Other people may say that it's less important than is being said here but it really is an important thing with the car.

Regardless, if you're going to replace the tires, you need to do it quickly before the new ones start to wear and then you're back to where you were but with brand new un-even tires. Now that would suck.
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

I might just say screw it since the tires are very close in age.
( I wrecked the two shortly after buying all 4 ) ;)
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

Phibs wrote: Do I have any options besides replacing all 4 ?
You could always wait until one of your diffs is smoking to replace all four.

And Don Beyer is the Subaru dealer in Alexandria. Plenty of us wind up going there, although I'd say they have something of a mixed reputation.

Note, I just had all four of mine replaced (we only have 13k on the car) because one tire got "screwed."

It's a pain in the ass, but then, you bought the STI, not a Camry. The more powerful and higher tuned a car is, the more finicky it gets.

edit: having two sets of different tires will affect handling as well as the diffs. I'd hate to have to figure out whether the rear tires could hold through the turn even though I knew the fronts could. See where this is going?
rocket scientist
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Diff should be covered by warranty, and like I said the tires are very close in wear and feel pretty normal now after a few days.

And I avoid dealers like the plague, yer high if you go to one for any of your STI needs.
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Man we need some sort of chat, posting on the forum and waiting for replys sux ;0
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

Phibs wrote:Diff should be covered by warranty, and like I said the tires are very close in wear and feel pretty normal now after a few days.

And I avoid dealers like the plague, yer high if you go to one for any of your STI needs.
Diffs will not be covered by warranty if you mistreat them. That's like saying "the engine should be covered by warranty" if you don't change the oil. It doesn't work like that.
rocket scientist
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Well considering ALL 4 wheels are of similar wear, I don't think I will have a diff problem. And if I do have a diff problem, how could anyone prove it was my fault vs mechanical defect?
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

Phibs wrote:Man we need some sort of chat, posting on the forum and waiting for replys sux ;0
Weekends are slow on the board. Most of us are slacking during work, and on weekends we're either wrenching on the cars or driving them. But seriously, come to a meet. Every question you've asked since you joined could have been answered in person in a meet. And people would have even offered to help you do it. As Colin has already told you, we try to welcome everyone. When somebody blows an engine or something like that, there are at least half a dozen people there that weekend helping out.

I think if you changed your approach a little, you might find that more people are willing to help out. Besides which, people have helped out, with regards to your FMIC, TBE, and so on.
rocket scientist
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Yeah I came to the Winner's tint meet but it's tougher to make the others as they are far away from the sterling area. What do you mean change my approach? My comment about a chat (irc, whatever) was just trying to facilitate more active discussion.
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

i'd be willing to shake the cobwebs off my irc client if we set up a chat room.
-Ben
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

I have a 3 node network that could house #dcawd
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

chicken n waffles wrote:i'd be willing to shake the cobwebs off my irc client if we set up a chat room.
i can just imagine, all those heated discussions that take place synchronously, with time delays, instead being sped up and done real-time. irc inevitably leads to cliques, inevitably lead to elitism, eventually leading to the death of a community. :notcool:
rocket scientist
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

avriette wrote:
chicken n waffles wrote:i'd be willing to shake the cobwebs off my irc client if we set up a chat room.
i can just imagine, all those heated discussions that take place synchronously, with time delays, instead being sped up and done real-time. irc inevitably leads to cliques, inevitably lead to elitism, eventually leading to the death of a community. :notcool:
dcawd is more of a laid-back, somewhat-tightly-knit-but-dysfunctional family. i doubt there would be much of a problem.
-Ben
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

haha yeah agreed. I think it would be just another way to get information and help others. There's nothing to be elite about, we're all here to enjoy ourselves and help others.

Well if anyone is interested, irc.bsd-unix.net #dcawd can be utilized.
A cname for irc.dcawd.com could be created too *wink* sabre.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Hey Phibs :)
Glad to hear that everything went well on the install. As Colin once said to me: Subaru's engineers are wicked little bastards that sharpen all heat shields before they leave the factory!

Tires: There is another option! Have the newer tires shaved down to the size of the old ones. There are various places around the area that can do that for you. Cheaper than getting 4 new tires or three diffs!

Chat: We had talked about doing it, but felt that it might take away from some of the posting on the boards. I've setup a couple on UnReal IRC servers in my time, we just chose not to for that reason.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Good idea on the shaving part, I'll have to get one of you guys to check it out and see if I actually even need it. I can almost not tell the difference in wear using my finger but that's not very scientific ;)
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

What is the technical term for the shaving so I can ask if the local shop does it? ( Curry's )
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Shaving :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

lawlz thx ;0 I called Curry's and they laughed at me... who would do it in this area?
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Hmm.... Spazgun would know.... but he's South racing till tomorrow. Try PMing him though :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
hotsam
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by hotsam »

I really wouldn't worry about the tires. You'd see more of a difference in diameter if one side was inflated a few psi more or less.