Quiet exhaust?

Audi too loud or not loud enough?

Moderator: Moderators

jamapor
I'm a n000b

Quiet exhaust?

Post by jamapor »

I'm a newbie. Forgive me.

I'm looking for a quiet exhaust that's still going to be a full 3" and still give me the performance.

However, I don't want a tin can on my car. :D I want it to look exactly like the stock exhaust.

I've looked into the Borla Hush, but what other solutions are out there? Thanks.
----
Jacob

2002 Subaru WRX
WRB Sedan
17x8 Rota Torques/Pirelli PZero Nero Tires
Stock... for now
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

TXS Magnaflow.

Scoobysport.

Cobb.

Notinthatorder.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

^^^ I'm with stupid :word:

That pretty much sums it up!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Re: Quiet exhaust?

Post by avriette »

jamapor wrote:I'm a newbie. Forgive me.

I'm looking for a quiet exhaust that's still going to be a full 3" and still give me the performance.

However, I don't want a tin can on my car. :D I want it to look exactly like the stock exhaust.

I've looked into the Borla Hush, but what other solutions are out there? Thanks.
We have the SPT catback on ours. I can't vouch for its performance (other than Subaru's rather unbelievable claims). But it is only a little louder than stock, and it definitely appears stock.

Of the ones I've seen from the group, I like the Hush on Chuck's car (it just sounds awesome), but it's not quite stock-appearing.
rocket scientist
jamapor
I'm a n000b

Post by jamapor »

avriette wrote:
Of the ones I've seen from the group, I like the Hush on Chuck's car (it just sounds awesome), but it's not quite stock-appearing.
The hush not stock-looking? I thought it was the most stock-looking?!?
----
Jacob

2002 Subaru WRX
WRB Sedan
Stock... for now
hotsam
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by hotsam »

Don't forget Stromung.
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

jamapor wrote:
avriette wrote:
The hush not stock-looking? I thought it was the most stock-looking?!?
This would be a good time for Chuck to step in and clarify if I get it wrong. The stock STI exhaust is a single-outlet, slash-cut tip. My guess from looking at it would be it's a 3" tip. The Hush is a 3" inlet, dual-outlet catback:

http://www.daddysscp.com/dcart4/product ... id=4&cat=0

Which would make it more wrx-like than sti-like. But, if I had read your signature before typing this up, like an intelligent person, I would have seen the car in question is a WRX.

Maybe I oughtta stop posting. :/
rocket scientist
jamapor
I'm a n000b

Post by jamapor »

avriette wrote:But, if I had read your signature before typing this up, like an intelligent person, I would have seen the car in question is a WRX.

Maybe I oughtta stop posting. :/
Haha. Yep, 2002 WRX. I work at a government building with an intense guard gate, so pulling up with a loud exhaust wouldn't be so smart :shock:

I'm looking for a dual-tip exhaust that's soft-sounding, but is still a full 3". I went for a ride with somebody in the area who has a Borla Hush on his 02 WRX. It sounded nice at idle, but I was sort of shocked at the high level of drone on the highway.

Any chance somebody has a 2.0L WRX with a Borla Hush and cares to go for a ride? Maybe it was his DP or UP that made it loud/high level of drone.

I've been told about the Stromung, but apparently the twin-tip is new as of January 2007. I'm guessing it's going to be expensive, and hard to find used. This is a 2002 after all, so I'm looking for a used solution.
----
Jacob

2002 Subaru WRX
WRB Sedan
Stock... for now
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

avriette wrote: We have the SPT catback on ours. I can't vouch for its performance (other than Subaru's rather unbelievable claims). But it is only a little louder than stock, and it definitely appears stock.
I met up with chesirecat 2 weeks ago and he had a SPT on his STi also I believe. It wasn't obnoxiously loud and looked pretty good as well.
jamapor
I'm a n000b

Post by jamapor »

Any other thoughts?
----
Jacob

2002 Subaru WRX
WRB Sedan
Stock... for now
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

jamapor wrote:I've been told about the Stromung, but apparently the twin-tip is new as of January 2007. I'm guessing it's going to be expensive, and hard to find used. This is a 2002 after all, so I'm looking for a used solution.
I would check your info sources a bit. I have had a Stromung Dual Tip axle back on my car for a good 4+ years. It is not 3" diameter, so maybe that is what is new. I have the stainless steel version which is newer than their previous model that came out for the RS in the late 90's.

It is a couple of years old, this thread, but it has qyantitiative analysis of different exhauests.

See the spreadsheet here.

In my opinion, unless you have a huge turbo with lots of supporting mods, 3" wont give you much more improvement over a 2.5" axle back. Not worth the extra cost, fitment hassle, & sound issues.

You are welcome to ride around in my car if you want to hear the setup. I quite like it.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I've got a 2.0l WRX with a DP and a TSX axle back. stop by a meet sometime and you can check out a lot of different setups.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Unfortunately, there is no "quiet" full 3" TBE...only "less loud". I am now back to my 2.5" axleback from a 3" whisper (more like roar) axleback. I am so happy now to have the quiet.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

But I have heard that EQ length headers make for a less noisy 3" TBE.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

The problem is you have a wagon. "Every" hi-flow exhaust is going to drone on a wagon, it's just a matter of degree. I've driven, ridden in, or heard, them all: borla hush, TXS Magnaflow, bosal single tip (mine), etc. They all drone, all of them. That said, I have not heard the Daddy's whisper exhaust. Who knows maybe that's the holy grail?

http://www.daddysscp.com/dcart4/product ... cat=0&page
hotsam
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by hotsam »

Why not do a TXS stealthback? That will keep the stock look and the noise won't be so bad.