Toyota Essential To Subaru Growth

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

Katya4me
DCAWD Groupie

Toyota Essential To Subaru Growth

Post by Katya4me »

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto_Ne ... 12205.html

Without Toyota there would likely be no Subaru, the smaller Japanese automaker's new CEO acknowledged during an interview with TheCarConnection.com. But don't expect Subaru to become little more than another Toyota division, stressed Ikuo Mori.

The automotive arm of Japan's Fuji Heavy Industries has some big ambitions, underscored by a series of significant product launches at the New York International Auto Show, including a restyled Tribeca crossover vehicle and the next-generation WRX. Both models underscore what Fuji CEO Mori described as Subaru's increasing "focus on Southern California."

But the U.S. , overall, is the carmaker's most important market and, if Subaru meets its goals, will see sales surge 15 percent over the next three years, from 200,000 to 230,000. In turn, that should help boost global volume to 635,000 during the same period.

Getting there won't be easy, Mori acknowledged, in an era of increasing competition. Part of the challenge is to clearly define what Subaru stands for, what the company describes as the "Subaru experience." Ironically, to achieve that goal, Fuji will be increasingly reliant on its ally, Toyota.

That partnership was launched last year after Subaru severed ties with General Motors. "The reason we stopped that alliance with GM was because of their own difficulties," said Mori, adding "the result were not good with GM."

Sources tell TheCarConnection.com that the two former partners simply couldn't come to terms on a variety of potential product programs. At one point, for example, GM considered using a Subaru platform and its well-respected boxer engine, for the Pontiac Solstice. In the long run, the U.S. maker developed its own small platform and turned to an existing GM engine.

The collapse of the General Motors deal left Fuji wondering whether it could survive on its own, or would need "to make a new alliance," said Mori. "In the long term, we think it would be difficult to survive by ourselves without the Toyota alliance."

That new partnership has already begun to pay off. The bigger maker, desperate for more production capacity to supply a hungry U.S. market, has begun sourcing Camry sedans from the Subaru plant in Indiana . The factory was originally built in partnership with Isuzu, which later abandoned passenger car production and pulled out of the deal, leaving Fuji/Subaru with a sorely underutilized plant.

Toyota will likely provide some product for Subaru, in the long run. And it will also help expand the smaller maker's powertrain lineup. Subaru has abandoned its own hybrid-electric vehicle program and will instead use Toyota technology, Mori noted.

"We are a small player and cannot focus on many projects," he noted. "So we will focus on our core…and draw from Toyota elsewhere."
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Re: Toyota Essential To Subaru Growth

Post by snaab »

Katya4me wrote:At one point, for example, GM considered using a Subaru platform and its well-respected boxer engine, for the Pontiac Solstice.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

::huff huff huff::

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Have I not always said, if Subaru made a convertible, I would be the first in line? THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN CLOSE ENOUGH.
RJ
'13 Mazda3
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Re: Toyota Essential To Subaru Growth

Post by avriette »

Katya4me wrote: That new partnership has already begun to pay off. The bigger maker, desperate for more production capacity to supply a hungry U.S. market, has begun sourcing Camry sedans from the Subaru plant in Indiana . The factory was originally built in partnership with Isuzu, which later abandoned passenger car production and pulled out of the deal, leaving Fuji/Subaru with a sorely underutilized plant.
I guess that explains the strikingly corollaesque 08's. I wonder if it also means there's a resurgence in the SVX-styled cars in the next few years as Toyota talks about reanimating the Supra. Clearly both companies have the platforms for it as well as the userbase (tough to make a 2010 SVX when you don't already produce a 300hp awd beast).
rocket scientist
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

ya, makes me wonder... would they use the STI tranny for the Supra :shock: Let's hope there is goodness for Subies from this....
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

"i love what you do for subaru, toyota"
-Ben
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

the new Supra is in the works now, but will be a competitor to the $80,000 Skyline.
Katya4me
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Katya4me »

Sabre wrote:ya, makes me wonder... would they use the STI tranny for the Supra :shock: Let's hope there is goodness for Subies from this....
I'll take an AWD hybrid SC or TC MR2 vert. please. :)
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

This probably explains why the new WRX looks so much like a Camry.

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

Mr Kleen wrote:the new Supra is in the works now, but will be a competitor to the $80,000 Skyline.
Where would the SVX be in today's market? And I think it's fair to mention that it will be a competitor to the Skyline and the Z06 (and I guess the new extra-beefy Viper around the same price point).
rocket scientist
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I have heard rumor that the new Supra will be 6 figures. I understand that cars move up-market. I had just hoped that the new Supra would be a svelt $35k sports car for the people. :|
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

Mr Kleen wrote:I have heard rumor that the new Supra will be 6 figures. I understand that cars move up-market. I had just hoped that the new Supra would be a svelt $35k sports car for the people. :|
Do you think they're trying to capitalize on the "run down a busa" crowd? For $110k, you could make a hell of a Supra.

The Supra, to my knowledge has always been a grand tourer. I guess the question I'm getting at is are they trying to build something blazingly fast and technologically, er, super? If you consider the Skyline is going to have a relatively traditional twin-turbo (parallel, not sequential) setup, is going to make 450-550hp, and be all-wheel-drive, what is it you get for your additional $30k? There's also the Z06, which trounces the Italian cars for less than six figures, too.

Maybe some weird hybrid drive system? Electric motors are terrific for performance... maybe they have some novel batteries up their sleeves?
rocket scientist
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

who knows... in sadly related news the next gen NSX will be a front engined grand tourer. :(
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

:shock: Say WHAT? ARTICLE?>!>!?!?!?
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

Mr Kleen wrote:who knows... in sadly related news the next gen NSX will be a front engined grand tourer. :(
Albeit with a V10, right? An FR V10 is never a bad thing. :) I think it's pretty interesting that there are so many V10's on the market now. Historically they haven't been very popular, but they seem to be enjoying a resurgence.
rocket scientist
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

avriette wrote:Where would the SVX be in today's market?
Not sure. But as a former SVX owner... all i gotta say is. I'd buy one again.
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

avriette wrote:Albeit with a V10, right? An FR V10 is never a bad thing. :) I think it's pretty interesting that there are so many V10's on the market now. Historically they haven't been very popular, but they seem to be enjoying a resurgence.
Aren't F1 engines v10s? Maybe we're seeing racing tech making it's way to the showroom?

--Alan
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Sabre wrote::shock: Say WHAT? ARTICLE?>!>!?!?!?
J, I KNOW that we've talked about this before! :poke: :rolllaugh:

I don't hate a RWD V10, but I'd rather the NSX stay a light-weight, mid-engine platform with a small V8 or possibly a TT V6? but it doesn't really matter: as it is I can't afford a good used NSX. :lol:
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

lol, I'm old, forgive me...
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

The next few years promise to be interesting in Subaruland... I'm curious to see what will happen.

*crosses fingers*
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz