Meets/events for other car clubs in the area

Moderator: Moderators

GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Car Show For the Troops

Post by GaToR »

This was forwarded to me and thought it might be worth putting up:
Friends:

I took on a project a few weeks back that I need help with. I am staging a Car Show that will be held on Saturday, April 21 (Rain Date the 22nd) at Old Dominion Speedway in Manassas. We have a web page up at http://www.gohooligan.com/CarShow.html .

100% of the proceeds will benefit the Fisher House Foundation. Do yourself a favor, see THE VIDEO at http://www.fisherhouse.org/aboutUs/aboutUs.shtml.

Because members of the military and their families are stationed worldwide and must often travel great distances for specialized medical care, Fisher House Foundation donates "comfort homes," built on the grounds of major military and VA medical centers. These homes enable family members to be close to a loved one at the most stressful times - during the hospitalization for an unexpected illness, disease, or injury.

There is at least one Fisher House at every major military medical center. Each cost Millions of Dollars.

If you can imagine being a 19 year old who just lost a limb in Iraq, coming out of an operation at Walter Reed and seeing your Mom and Dad there, all the way from Nebraska, you have the idea of the service these folks provide.

The Car Show is a grass roots effort. It will happen, but how much money we can raise depends quite a bit on how well I can organize a group of volunteers to help make it happen well.

I will need volunteers for the day of the show, but mostly I need folks to share the responsibility for getting it together.

I don’t necessarily need chairpersons in each area below, but if you are willing to chair, please let me know. I need help in the general areas of:
• Advertising
• Awards
• Facility
• Judging
• Program Book
• Registration

What does each area mean? For now, it means concentrating on each to weed out the gremlins and figuring out how to respond in an effective and inexpensive way.

For the Advertising Group it will mean making contact with local car clubs and stirring up support, getting flyers out, contacting newspapers, etc. Solicit raffle prizes.

For the Awards Group it is getting bids from trophy shops and trying to get local merchants (e.g. Ford, Chevy dealers) to sponsor awards, etc.

The Facility Group will have to plan where we will park the show cars, spectators, vendors.
Arrange for tables, tents, refreshments for the staff, etc. We’ll need people to take donations, run the 50/50 raffle.

The Judging Group will make recommendations for awards, have enough judges available to prejudge the vehicles, re-judge the finalists, calculate the winners, etc.

The Program Book will work to get ads together from sponsors. They will take the ball once Advertising hooks em. Get the programs printed, and distribute at the show

Registration will register cars and vendors and collect the fees. They will make sure that each vehicle entered is listed for the judges.

If that sounds like a lot, keep thinking. It is REALLY a lot, and there are certainly items I haven’t even considered yet

If you have been looking for an opportunity to earn that “I support the troops” bumper sticker, THIS IS IT.

DELTA Resources, Inc made a sizeable donation to cover most of the operation costs. We also received a cash donation from the George Brent Council of the Knights of Columbus in Manassas.

We already have several “Dinners for 2” or Gift Certificates from some national restaurants (Chevys, Applebee’s and Border Café) that will be used as raffle prizes or silent auction items.

We have pledges of support from auto dealers and a very BIG pledge from Virginia BBQ to provide a PIG ROAST for 50 PEOPLE to the car club that brings the most cars.

In all it is going well, but it has grown way past what I can handle myself.

If you can help out, please give me a call at home, 703-791-4285 or return my email. Let me know if you have a preference area to work in. If you can’t help out, but would like to contribute, please send a check made out to FISHER HOUSE FOUNDATION to:

CAR SHOW FOR THE TROOPS
11887 Falling Creek Drive
Manassas, VA 20112-3280

It would be great to see each of you at the Car Show on April 21.

Thanks,

-Pat
PSM-04-STi
I walk to work

Post by PSM-04-STi »

Got a Fisher House here on Andrews AFB
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

sweet, I'm going to copy this on another forums if you dont mind.
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

PSM-04-STi wrote:...Andrews AFB
urgh... Andrews *bad memories ensue*

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."