Braking term

Feeling the bumps in the Forester or wanting more, look here

Moderator: Moderators

snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Braking term

Post by snaab »

I'm attempting to translate a German word, and need to know the following in order to confirm the meaning of the word.

Can the application of some sort of copper spray affect braking ability? If so, where and how?

:shock:
RJ
'13 Mazda3
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Re: Braking term

Post by sirwilliam »

snaab wrote:I'm attempting to translate a German word, and need to know the following in order to confirm the meaning of the word.

Can the application of some sort of copper spray affect braking ability? If so, where and how?

:shock:
Depends on where it is being sprayed. :wink:

If you spray it on the pads, that can affect the braking do to loss of friction from build up on pads.

If you spray it on the calipers, that can affect the braking from negating heat dissipation.

If you spray it in your eyes, you won't be able to see causing inability to brake properly or causing you to brake wildly...which will in turn cause your car to break...from hitting something.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
snaab
DCAWD Groupie

Post by snaab »

Thanks, believe it or not the word I was trying to translate just means "to lock the brakes/wheels".

The guy who wanted it insisted that it had nothing to do with ABS for one, and second, he confused me by using it wrong... he wrote as an example sentence the equivalent of "to brake the car to a stop"

I was fairly certain that it was just an old for "blockieren" (ABS in German is Antiblockiersystem). The older term that he was looking for is "festbremsen", which literally means "to brake hard"

Thanks for the help!
RJ
'13 Mazda3