Umm, I don't know what is wrong with this, maybe nothing

Audi too loud or not loud enough?

Moderator: Moderators

zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Umm, I don't know what is wrong with this, maybe nothing

Post by zaxrex »

E-bay exhaust sale

The only thing that looks funky to me is the single piece manifold-up pipe (which would be a bitch to get in).

Still, a 3" turboback exhaust with bellmouth downpipe and most mounting hardware?

I would have done it.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Re: Umm, I don't know what is wrong with this, maybe nothing

Post by sirwilliam »

zaxrex wrote:E-bay exhaust sale

The only thing that looks funky to me is the single piece manifold-up pipe (which would be a bitch to get in).

Still, a 3" turboback exhaust with bellmouth downpipe and most mounting hardware?

I would have done it.
Yeah, they have the manifolds w/ the uppipe built in...that definitely wouldn't be easy unless you had multiple hands and a hydraulic lift would be nice too. Looks decent but since it is a no-name you are not sure if everything would line up perfectly but it looks like a pretty good copy cat of what is out there on the market right now.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Pretty interesting. I like that it has two bungs for stock and wideband O2 sensors. What is up with the small ass exit in the big can though? Man that sounds wrong...
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

sabre wrote:Pretty interesting. I like that it has two bungs for stock and wideband O2 sensors. What is up with the small ass exit in the big can though? Man that sounds wrong...
That is the standard silencer insert...that way you can actually drive around NoVa and not get a ticket...well, hopefully. It just bolts into place. The Helix axleback comes w/ that as well as others.

The thing that would absolutely keep me from buying this is the flex joint in the uppipe section of the manifold. A lot of cheap knock off flex joints found in the cheap ebay uppipes have been known to deteriorate after a short period of ownership...not good.

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

sirwilliam wrote:The thing that would absolutely keep me from buying this is the flex joint in the uppipe section of the manifold. A lot of cheap knock off flex joints found in the cheap ebay uppipes have been known to deteriorate after a short period of ownership...not good.
I heard that too about the Megan Racing one, but I think they have improved the material now.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

sabre wrote:
sirwilliam wrote:The thing that would absolutely keep me from buying this is the flex joint in the uppipe section of the manifold. A lot of cheap knock off flex joints found in the cheap ebay uppipes have been known to deteriorate after a short period of ownership...not good.
I heard that too about the Megan Racing one, but I think they have improved the material now.
But do you want to take that chance?

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I don't need to worry about it, I already have headers :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

after installing a UP and DP (thanks again, Zak :wink: ) I know why people would spend the cash to get the name brand stuff. fitment, baby, fitment...
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I have seen and installed a number of those pieces:

1. The header/up-pipe combo is a nicely made unit the welds are very clean and flanges are well formed and the pipes were of decent quality. However, the install was a complete nightmare! Zak can speak to this as well. The egine had to be jacked-up to get the up-pipe to fit. The bolts given for the up-pipe were too long to fit the turbo in place. And the gaskets are cheap, I re-used the stock pieces. I can't speak to the quality of the flex section. It was an area of concern for me as well.

2. The down pipe is as good as any other catless downpipe. The resonator is a bit cheezey but that isn't a big deal. I'm also NOT a fan of the flex section in the DP, but at least where it is it is unlikely to take much abuse and fail.

3. The cat-back is CRAZY loud w/o the silencer in. The resonators do little to help. If you think you can drive around town w/o the silencer in your nuts.

That being said, it's still a huge bargain.